Northern California Fires

For Stig's point of reference.
Remember when we drove the old hwy road from my house after we crossed the hwy 140 to Yosemite?
The little one lane bridge over the creek area on our way to climb that tree?
That whole area and east of it, damn near all the way to the tree we climbed, from the hwy we crossed is on fire. Damn near that whole road. It ran up into the Sierra National forest and almost as far south as the hwy to Oakhurst.
Probably one of the most populated areas in Mariposa Co.
Yes I do remember.
Hard to imagine.
Best of luck with the wind, Stephen.

Good news this morning.
26% containment and the "heat" is on the east and noreast side. It is making a run for the river canyon in the older burn scar. Won't stop till it at least gets there. But if they can keep it out of the rest of Jerseydale and Mariposa Pines areas, no more homes will be threatened. Burn scar stll has plenty to burn. It just burns slower. Usually. Brush has had the opportunity to grow back, just a tad less dense. Less trees.
So unless we get a crazy weather event, we should be good save for smoke for a while. They did night water drops last night with a helo that is equipped for it. Wish they had more of those. Slowed it down a great deal.
20 or so homes lost that we know of. More structures. No deaths known yet.
Keeping fingers crossed.
I got a report they were letting some of the Jerseydal burn to get more black, like a controlled burn. Have to be real careful doing that shit in this weather this time of year. Winds have been all over the place. Some old familys of loggers and ranchers up there that used to do their own controlled burns were not happy about the risk.

Our current problem here in my town is that we have 109 households displaced now that evacs are being lifted.
We have a rental shortage already.
CA has made rebuilding a friggen nightmare under current regulations. Often times taking too long to even approve a rebuild forcing costs higher and sometimes not falling into a time frame set by insurance companies.
Many homes have lost insurance and were in transition of trying to comply and land a policy from the CA Fair Plan (State run that does not cover everything and low values yhe home needing additional riders) that is way more money than most house holds were already paying.
Best one can hope for is a manufactured home for costs.
CA now requires solar on every new home. A plug in for the electric car you may or may not have in your garage. Fire sprinkler systems. Extra lighting and electrical than before. This also includes more widows. Engineered septic systems. Stamped housing pads. New windshear requirements near doubling fastner/nailing costs. There is a list. Would not suprise me if they re-evaluate the new housing to raise taxes.

Back