Interesting felling technique!

I would make the t&g much longer and use a ridiculously shallow yet longer Humboldt face cut. I believe that it would work on queen palms where the heart ❤is pulpy.

That escape route is most important imo when they chair. I don't like it when white oaks do it.
One almost got me once but I always plan two outs on sketchy stuff. I consider that T&G cut a sketchy move.... never used one myself. I'll rig it first, climb it or get a crane. Walking away has also worked before. Only crushed one power pole :-)

I thought T &G was to keep the log from moving after impact, and to keep the but on the high stump, which could be used to protect obstacles at the base of the tree. I've tried to keep the but on the stump many times with only moderate success, but never with T&G. If cut properly the T&G looks 100% effective for these purposes...

I've used the TG cut twice for real, after farting around with it some, where it didn't matter.
Once to avoid hitting a 3 foot natural stone wall, the other time to awoid crushing 2 quince bushes.
Had to make the stump REALLY high for the wall, but it saved a takedown (And impressed the hell out of my apprentice, which is always good!)

Please nobody say "controlled" barber chair or you might hear a barber shop chorus of guffawing. I have seen the vid and I just don't think that I would be able to recreate the results. I love ya like a brother but sometimes you are way too out there for me to keep up.

I had a Norwegian Spruce pole, limbed, in my yard I was dropping, and it only tipped half way. I kept cutting more and more as it slowly lowered until the face closed and the hinge was cut. I think it went way past 50deg to close the face and was still holding on. 20-30' pole, so not heavy

Haven’t found a reason to attempt this yet. Guess I’ll just have to keep waiting to use it. Until then I’ll just keep doing what I do

The Huntly hinge was used a lot in Scotland and on steeper ground in the UK for keeping trees on their stumps to allow for bench felling for processing at a better height in the days of motor manual processing, particularly on steep ground to lock them in. Could be used in contour felling by allowing trees to be felled up the hill and set as bench trees and rollers, trees are then felled across these at 90 degrees and once processed could be severed and rolled down the hill.

Attachments

• Huntley hinge.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 48
Back