In The News...

No you aren't, and nothing i said was directed to you personally at all. The Washington examiner is the definition of the right tho, and they were pushing an agenda with their bullshit story. I'm not an asshole just because i pointed it out. I am an asshole for many other reasons tho! :lol:

I'm not sure what's left or right there so I usually check on things.

The Washington Examiner was the original one I saw so Googled and there's a lot more with the story, some vary a bit. California releasing 63,000 violent felons - Google Search - https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=California+releasing+63%2C000+violent+felons

How bout this one then.

I hope Stephen and Gerry keep their powder dry. Might help to keep some felon treats on hand to toss to them to appease the PETC crowd...People-for-the-Ethical-Treatment-of-Criminals....since their rights trump normal behavior.

Yup, many other news outlets covered the same story, and it seems hardly any of the journalists did their jobs and actually looked up why. The Supreme Court here has ordered this to happen. These dudes have served their time. Unless we go back to just hanging everyone possibly involved in any crime, at some point you have to let them go.

Edit: apparently the ap did do their homework:

California has been under court orders to reduce a prison population that peaked at 160,000 in 2006 and saw inmates being housed in gymnasiums and activity rooms. In 2011, the U.S. Supreme Court backed federal judges’ requirement that the state reduce overcrowding.

The population has been declining since the high court’s decision, starting when the state began keeping lower-level felons in county jails instead of state prisons. In 2014, voters reduced penalties for property and drug crimes. Two years later, voters approved allowing earlier parole for most inmates.

Last edited:
Other Municipalities have had similar occurrences.
Pretty much the same happened in MI several years back. Got blown all out of proportion by many...

Bound to be a couple releasees screw up and someone will undoubtedly make a big deal of it..

Yup, many other news outlets covered the same story, and it seems hardly any of the journalists did their jobs and actually looked up why. The Supreme Court here has ordered this to happen. These dudes have served their time. Unless we go back to just hanging everyone possibly involved in any crime, at some point you have to let them go.

Edit: apparently the ap did do their homework:

California has been under court orders to reduce a prison population that peaked at 160,000 in 2006 and saw inmates being housed in gymnasiums and activity rooms. In 2011, the U.S. Supreme Court backed federal judges’ requirement that the state reduce overcrowding.

The population has been declining since the high court’s decision, starting when the state began keeping lower-level felons in county jails instead of state prisons. In 2014, voters reduced penalties for property and drug crimes. Two years later, voters approved allowing earlier parole for most inmates.
If they're releasing them "EARLY", they haven't done their time. If it were my state doing that, I might be concerned. Our "justice system" is an abysmal failure.

Alabama has one of the most lenient good behavior laws in the country, giving up to 75 days off a sentence for every month served, so ironically cali is "tougher" than Alabama in that regard. I also agree wholeheartedly that our justice system is a sham, and is now even bastardized for profit.

And melamine in infant formula not too many years back.

Back when I was selling Japanese bicycles they would often come in such 'cheap' cardboard boxes that they would be falling apart and breaking down into a dusty powder.
At the bicycle shop we joked that they were returning the remaining radioactive dust from Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Shit happens when it isn't regulated.
Just look at what happened in the food industry here before regulations were enacted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"From the 1860s through the early 1900s the US saw rapid changes in food technology, from canning to chemical additives that deterred (and sometimes hid) spoilage of the food. The adulteration of food became a very real concern for the average consumer. After extensive food adulteration investigations, the chief chemist of the USDA recommended passage of a national food and drug law that would allow regulation and enforcement by the federal government. This proposal failed, as did roughly 100 bills passed in this 25 year time period.

While such inaction may seem unreasonable in hindsight, Congress was not purposely absent on this matter; they simply left the regulation of food to the states and localities. Two examples of affirmative action include the Tea Importation Act, which allowed customs inspection of all tea entering US ports with costs paid by the importer, and the Biologics Control Act, which was passed to ensure the purity and safety of products to prevent disease, and to study chemical preservatives & colors and their effect on health. Perhaps the most significant law during this time was The Oleomargarine Act of 1886, which not only taxed margarine, but heavily taxed margarine colored to look like butter. The courts affirmed this federal regulation in McCray v. United States (1904), 195 U.S. 27.

Everything changed in 1906, arguably due to Upton Sinclair’s book, The Jungle. An exposure of the filthy conditions of Chicago slaughterhouses, Sinclair brought to light terrifying practices running rampant in the food trade, including “tuberculosis beef.” The outcry from this book led President Theodore Roosevelt to begin an investigation, resulting in the Neill-Reynolds Report. The findings of the report combined with the outcry from the book led to the quick passage of the Pure Food and Drugs Act of 1906, which prohibited interstate commerce in misbranded and adulterated foods, drinks, and drugs. The Act required that active ingredients be placed on the label of a drug’s packaging, and directed the Bureau of Chemistry to inspect products and refer offenders to prosecutors. The Meat Inspection Act, was passed the same day, and was housed in a different department, now known as the Food Safety and Inspection Service. While often perceived as related, from this day on the fates of food and drugs became inextricably intertwined in the United States.

For the next 22 years the Pure Food and Drugs Act allowed the Department of Agriculture, and the courts, to make drastic changes in how the country consumed food. Quickly following amendments and cases prohibited false therapeutic claims, required conspicuous labeling, and banned misleading statements on packaging. The power was not absolute however, as the courts held the government could not ban food additives without showing how the additive caused harm.

In 1927 the Bureau of Chemistry was reorganized into two groupings: the Food, Drug, and Insecticide Administration, and the Bureau of Chemistry and Soils; by 1930 the former was renamed the Food and Drug Administration. Within a few years the FDA called for new regulations claiming that the 1906 act was obsolete. In 1937 the Elixir of Sulfanilamide killed 107 persons, dramatizing a need to establish drug safety before marketing, and to revamp the existing frameworks.

In 1938 Congress passed the Federal Food, Drugs, and Cosmetic Act, with several new provisions. The FDA now had control of cosmetics and therapeutic devices, set safe tolerances for unavoidable poisonous substances, was authorized to inspect factories, and was authorized to set standards of identity and quality. This Act was the beginning of the FDA we knew today. While specific regulations have grown in a piece-meal matter since the Act was passed, and the FDA’s power has grown through a variety of amendments related to the safety of food and drugs. As of 1988 the FDA is no longer part of the Department of Agriculture, but is a part of the Department of Health and Human Services. The Food Safety and Inspection Service still remains a part of the Department of Agriculture, and both the FDA and FSIS still control and regulate food in the United States. Today, the FSIS has primary responsibility for meat, poultry, and eggs; the FDA is primarily responsible for most other food products."

What good is all this advanced tech? Once upon a time it would take a group of Russians to come all the way over here, turn the gas line valves shut, and armed with weapons demand money, but now it seems they can just shut the computer off and open the pipeline valves manually.

Technology gives you unmatched efficiencies, doing more, faster, with fewer people and greater reliability.

What good is all this advanced tech? Once upon a time it would take a group of Russians to come all the way over here, turn the gas line valves shut, and armed with weapons demand money, but now it seems they can just shut the computer off and open the pipeline valves manually.
And they can even, with a few key strokes, put their senile stooge in the White House....

Back