How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 182K
I like a challenge.....

I've always liked having a challenge, maybe that's why I love tree work so much. Heights don't bother me, and each tree ALWAYS gives you it's own "peculiar" set of challenges, I love that! :D
The reason I say all that is I have a double braid bull rope. I think it's BlackMAX(Bailey's brand?)3/4", 200' long. On some tree work I recently did I hit it with my saw and destroyed the cover:X. Barely touched the core, but with the cover ruined the rope needs to be cut, :O or taken out service:O:O.
Weeeeell, having just spliced up two eyes on an fs without "too much" trouble, I looked up how to splice two ropes together..... Here's what I came up with.

Here's the before.

attachment.php

.....and here's some views of the after, still need whipping twine to finish it off though.....

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Really happy with the way the tapers came out. I didn't look for a video to help me, I used the instructions Samson gave on their site, they seemed to be clearer to me as a first timer with an end to end splice. I should've tried to find a video though, I'm sure it would've made it easier for me. Even though it "only" took me 2 [SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] hours.....:P

Attachments

• IMG_7990 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7990 - Copy.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7991 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7991 - Copy.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7993 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7993 - Copy.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7999 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7999 - Copy.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7995 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7995 - Copy.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 73
I wouldn't use that if I were you. An end to end splice is generally used for creating an endless loop prussic. I've never seen it used too make two halves of rope whole before. It looks like you did an awesome job on it, just my personal 2 cents, I wouldn't trust it as a rigging line.

I say you tie one end nice and low on a big tree, tie the other end to your truck hitch, turn on your video camera, and then press the 'rope test' pedal located on the right side under the steering wheel.

I wouldn't use that if I were you. An end to end splice is generally used for creating an endless loop prussic. I've never seen it used too make two halves of rope whole before. It looks like you did an awesome job on it, just my personal 2 cents, I wouldn't trust it as a rigging line.

Is there a splice/technique that can be used..... ??? :?

Time is a problem. Do any of your guys have your wives or girlfriends learning splicing? I told my wife recently that I found a new challenge for her, splicing, since she seems to have about completed the one required with me. Don't you think it would be cool to come home to a well executed splice that you requested in the morning? I think it would be awesome! For some reason I haven't heard of any lady splicers, but I'm sure they exist.

Time is always against us, there never seems to be enough time.....:(
I just happened to have a couple days off. :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bh3xpSJwmk4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love that part, but even a little better than that is when he's in the saloon and spins his cup around after the other guy spins his gun around, ayuh, he's that good..... ;)

Not exactly splicing, but I made these up for a project I am working on. I really like the way it came out. The black shrink wrap is this super heavy duty pre-glued stuff I got from Merle... Its awesome. It ends up really stiff and its heavy duty.

20130629_214708.jpg

20130629_214513.jpg

20130629_214149.jpg

When I started to put together an order I thought it would be cool to have a nice assortment of adhesive lined clear. Then somehow I got focused on the heavy wall stuff which comes in red and black at least mostly.

Looking at the lists of available options I now see they have all kinds of clear in the thinner wall variety. If you like the idea of clear, for labels - and, might want to find out what Nick thinks of his clear sample and consider getting that in other sizes.

Kewl... I already have some clear I got with my last WesSpur order so I can label my dad's "grandpa" gift from the kiddos. We are splicing a tow rope for his pickup out of some 5/8ths Tenex TEC.

Back