How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
My problem is I don't really know rigging, so I look at your setups, and try to imagine them complete and in use. I don't have the background to fully appreciate them.

I asked and Ben sure did answer! Lots of options for sure

What instructions did you use for there double ring splice? I've been meaning to make one but haven't seen solid details on that method

If you're making an Ultra Sling you'll find the middle of the sling as he does in the video and work from there. If it's a regular sling with the rings at the end then it takes a little planning and measuring so the tail has enough to brummel and bury.

Last edited:
Mine too, I still got some that Nick made for me in 05, and they’d still probably pass anyone’s gear inspection, I just don’t climb on them anymore because of their age. They definitely got some mileage, but this stuff is so durable and resists glazing like nothing I’ve used before.
A little lump at the one bury, but otherwise looks good so far. Now to see if I can follow the whip lock instructions :)
70DE6BCC-0D7C-4329-BADD-4AF118450C1E.jpeg

Now I’m gonna try putting a tight eye and aluminum snap on some 3/8” Stable Braid so I’ll have a decent lanyard to work with the Trango Vergo as an adjuster.
Fingers crossed!

Do you have the 3/8 stable braids already? I've got 35 ish feet just taking up space if ya want it. Have you climbed with the vergo yet? Smaller than the cinch?

Yes I got a bunch of new 3/8” SB already, lots of bits show up in Wesspur’s clearance section, but thanks! This stuff is kinda a bitch to pull the core out of... the core and cover are the exact same color.
I used the Vergo some with a piece of 10mm Sterling WorkPro, it’s really nice. A bit smaller size and capacity, but otherwise functions exactly like the Cinch. I like it. I haven’t tried yet, but I think it might work ok with 11mm even if it’s a bit bigger than one is supposed to use with it.

Back in the heavy logging days, say 1945 to 1995, that sort of work was an every day thing in hundreds of logging gear/chainsaw shops all along the Cascade mountain chain, both west and east sides, from northern California to British Columbia.

Days long gone now. Hard to find a shop still employing anyone with the knowledge, equipment, and physical ability, these days.

Back