How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 182K
For the ultrasling, as I see it, the 2 brummels are locked together if pulled in one direction (pulling each rope going through the eye on the other) but can slide away in the other direction (pulling each rope by the eye side). That gives the possibility of some movement, so more wear can be expected. With 3 brummels, its locked both ways, as one is jammed between the two others.

2 brummels are fine to catch a ring because the ring takes out all possibility of play/movement of both parts of the rope (if snugged correctly).

I just made another sling. Didn't want to take a chance on distorting the rings. Made 2 brummels and a bury on one end and just a straight bury on the other end. Pulled with the tractor and it held. ***Pulled with the skidder and it held. **** Kinda fuzzed the fibers a little where it went through the clevis. About like you'd expect. It was a straight pull.

Late to the party here but wow, the skidder couldn't f it up?? Very few things in this world a skidder can't wreck

I have a beast ring and a bend right ring. Probably use the beast due to the bend right only handling 5/8 rope. May make a dead eye with the bend right.

Made this today. 1/2 Tenex. Bend Right ring. Should be pretty good for 1/2 and 9/16 rigging. The bend right ring has a smaller hole than I thought it would have. I think 5/8 would go through it ok. It's just something light with a good bend radius.

Attachments

• 20201115_211849.jpg
    20201115_211849.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20201115_211853.jpg
    20201115_211853.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Nothing yet. Won't hurt anything if I don't need it. If I do it will be there. It would be easy to adjust on a spar by going through the eye then half hitching the rings. Using up the sling for adjustment.

Self rigging. One sling. After studying this configuration the pow would need to be girth hitched. Or the half hitch tied upside down.

Attachments

• 20201116_172157.jpg
    20201116_172157.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Nice group of photos. Looks like a versatile setup, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm seeing in every photo :^D

Seems like an eye is a non issue. Worst case is you lose a little bit of length. Otherwise, just pretend it's not there.

I don't know. Just messing around with it. I was on a trunk because I didn't want to climb a tree. Pretend the pics are in the top. Just different variations of use. Can take the place of 2 slings.

Back