How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
That's a good thing, no? Less waste to resplice. I guess that's a prusik though, so probably shot regardless?

Dunno, I've made them with 2 before and pounded them pretty good... don't really see what the third tuck would get you, already locked with 2.

Unstuck sven's truck today using the last pocket, with no bury. Set up a 2:1 pulling a 2:1. Lines were LOADED and I wasn't the least worried. No break tests, but imo/ ime they are plenty strong

Last edited:
Got the tail buried. Need to order some twine for the lock stitching then will be finished. The Safebloc sling was bought. I was trying to make the Ring sling match the Safebloc sling in length. Pretty close. The tail bury is about 2 inches longer. I can fix that next time.

Attachments

• 20200923_011332.jpg
    20200923_011332.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200923_011417.jpg
    20200923_011417.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Never saw wood used for fids, quite beautiful!

If you can untuck the tail, you got room for at least another pocket, maybe two... just can’t have the fids taped to the ends. Push the fid through in the spot you want the brummel then when there’s a couple inches of the back of the fid left, push the rope end into the back and push it through with the rope rather than pulling on the fid. Not sure if that’s making sense at 5 am. I make the whole ultra sling like that and only need one fid.

Yeah they were originally made from wood. I like to make what I can just for fun. I don't think I could get the tail untucked if I had to. I've never used the last couple of pockets in the other sling yet. I may make a longer one next time. I have a few rings left.

Any recommendations for whipping twine? Size and good place to order?

Tree supply companies sell it. Also if you have an Eastern Marine or West Marine near you boaters use it for whipping lines. I use DADFD8EC-C64A-456F-87C2-95AF5AEC1873.jpeg 59496C94-8AB6-4CA2-B7B5-5B66AEFC768C.jpeg Marlow #4 for most whipping in several colors, so it stands out against the rope color for easier monitoring. Also a large spool of waxed line for mid-sized ropes, and I use dyneema throw line for the largest bull ropes.

Had a few minutes and made a smaller Ultra Sling and ring to go with my bigger one. Got the whipping twine in and stitched the ends. Used the bigger one yesterday quite a bit. I've been using the Safebloc for so long I forgot how little friction the single ring offers. Nice on the smaller limbs.

Attachments

• 20201002_224120.jpg
    20201002_224120.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20201002_224207.jpg
    20201002_224207.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
Addictive, isn’t it? Fun to make for sure. Check out Elevation Canada for rings, excellent prices on pairs and they’re every bit as good as XRings/ Notch.

Thinking about making a longer dead eye sling. 3/4 Tenex Tec. 35 foot or so to go around bigger trunks and still be able to tie a timber hitch. I have a few slings I've bought through the years. Some have a straight bury and some have 2 and 3 brummels then a bury. Is there a difference or a preferred way? What would be the pros and cons of having brummels or not having them? Thanks.

Back