How'd it go today?

You probably got it right. That site doesn't have the full line. I got on Martingale's site, and there was more there, but they don't sell to end users.

Stump grinding all week. Today was a motor shop day, neighbour's wife comes running over, her husband "isn't right". He had a stroke, I called an ambulance. No word on how he's doing, hospitals are still locked down. Mid 60's fighting cancer.

Hope he pulls through all right Peter. Great you were there to help in some fashion .
Tried to take an easy day.
It was an old job where I had eventually fired the client. Took her some years and some serious results of folks hacking at her beloved trees. And an apology with tears, and we came back.... I should get a picture of it.
Remember that Mazanita that was storm thrown and we pulled it back up? Well, it was past due for a proper cabling if it survived. We had only made due with what we could spare on the fly. Two loop runners, a retired steel crab, a couple of aluminum rings, some old bull tape (from PG&E), and a scrape of the Blue Streak I had from the West Coast GTG in the red woods.
Well, that thing now has a terrific shape and is vigorous as hell. It's been guyed back for years. The rigging was starting to girdle the pine and the manzanita. So I installed some Tree Guard in it today and she will be good to go for probably another 8 years. SRT up 5 pines to crown raise and hazard dead. Then went over to a friends house and chunked down a stem we had left as a gin pole when we took his oak off his garage and got hailed out. Been a day.
Here are some pictures of that manzanita when we up righted it. I will be going by again this weekend and get some pictures of her standing tall these days. HO actually listened and kept mulching the RZ all these years. Love a success story. : IMG_0357.JPG IMG_0358.JPG IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0363.JPG IMG_0366.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0371.JPG IMG_20120419_133636.jpg

Chill, chill day with my girl and GF.

Fixed her grandma’s antique rolling pin without breaking it. A bearing popped out.

Been helping build up the garden at hers...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
That's a great bump, Stephen. I can't think there are more than a tiny few treefolk that would have even given that old manzanita a chance. Well done, my friend.

Pretty garden, Sean. Glad to read that things continue along well with your new gal.

Manzanita are a mighty tough species. I think they are beautiful, and a mature specimen like that was worth giving a try on. Kudos to that client, even if you had to fire her for a while :).

Seen a few instances...roadside, undermined eroded cutbank individuals that fell over more or less like yours and then lived on quite happily, laying down the cut.

Seen them burned off to the ground in wildfires, no crown visible...next season putting up vigorous sprouts. Also cut back in pre-commercial thinning or competition reduction treatments in reforestation stands...come back stronger than before.

I made the apprentice very happy today.
I got the numbers from the Doug fir logging, we did 2 months ago.
We did really well on that, money wise.
Since the apprentice accounted for over a third of the hours spent felling, and he really busted ass and got some trees on the ground, I figured he was due for a " Well done, kid" talk.
I called Richard, gave him the numbers, and he felt the same way.
So the apprentice got a "well done" from me and a substantial bonus.

Of course the money matters, but experience has shown me that was really matters to an apprentice, is being told, that in our opinion, he can hold his own in a felling to scale operation.

No smart phone here either...just a pay as you go flip phone for travel coms. No cell service here at the home place anyway. We manage just fine. I think it's the people hooked up like an IV to their smart phones that are the one's who are not able to "manage".

Back