How'd it go today?

Had a nice easy day of dropping dead cherry trees in a woods by a grade school. Actually I supervised while the others worked. Gave me time to catch up on paperwork and make more phone calls. I’d been off since last Friday when I had to leave early. My dad had a stroke and was pretty well gone in the ER. Pulled through though. Lots of things wrong with him and now they’re trying to figure out what caused what first. Moved him out of the ICU yesterday afternoon and they’re starting rehab. I’m happy to be back at work but will still be spending to much time in the hospital

Sorry to hear it, Rich.

I've taken an interest in learning more about medicinal mushrooms.

My friend gave me Lion's Mane Extract recently.

Talked to customer Mike recently, Paul Stamets' long-time friend. I asked him about it, when we had a brief time to chat the other day while looking at Mike's tree situation. Mike has been taking Lion's Mane for his Type II diabetes, and said that it's very safe to use.

It's being researched for stroke-damage mitigation/ repair with nerve-growth factors in the active compounds of the fungi.
I clearly don't know much at all about any of this, but am looking into it more. My brother has type-II diabetes, and my dad had Parkinson's Disease, both being researched in relation to Lion's Mane.

IDK much of anything, yet, but it may be something to consider.

Sorry to read about your Dad Rich. Hoping for the best outcome.

Installed the new ABS block in the truck today, bled brakes & block a few times and can't get any pedal once it's started. Guess I'll have to get it to the garage... :(

Double tie in FTW, Jedidiah!

Rough news, Rich, hang in there

My HS electronics teacher sas Mr. Don K Edick.

Yeah... tie in twice for Mr Edick too...

My HS math teacher junior year was Richard Kuntz, and yes he did go by Dick....

I ended up buying my first car off him, an old '73, burnt orange, Gran Torino sedan, 351 Cleveland motor w/a wicked loud 4-barrel carb; friends would gawk at it as I used to beat plenty of the old Camaros and Firebirds racing, razzing them with "aaaawww, too bad, getting beat by the Kuntz mobile".... ;)

Thanks everyone.
He was in good spirits tonight although he was a bit mad about them Putting puréed peas on his plate. For some reason all the food is like baby food and he claims the pea goop touched his other goop piles and made them taste funny. He grumpily ate everything though. Told me he had to so he could regain enough strength to get the hell out of there.
And I was wrong. They started some physical therapy but not the rehabilitation yet. That’s on a different floor. Right now he’s in the general population part of the hospital.

Did a little bit of layout today, and collected a bunch of snowdrops. That part of the job's getting close to being torn up, so it's a rescue mission now. I planted some on the farm at work, and brought some more home to add to the ones I got last year. I might grab some more as I get time. They're cool little flowers. They popup in late winter, then completely disappear til the next year. When they've spread far, it's like magic. A carpet of little white flowers :^)

Break in the weather. Dry afternoon of HOA work. Climbed two trees for hangers, and a bunch of pole chainsaw work. Uneventful and productive. I'll take it.

A customer emailed about the neighbor's arborist saying his tree(s) is rotten, and close to their property. I thought they looked to be on the neighbor's property. Meeting in the morning for a look. Need to go. Can do.

After much time, frustration, etc. Found out the brakes lines on my truck need to be “computer bled” in order to get brakes working.

Have to wait until Monday to have the money to pay a garage to do it. I’m going to try a place about 100 yards down the road from me…never would have trusted them in the past, knowing the owner, but his son has evidently taken over and highly improved the integrity there, so I’ll give them a shot at it because they are so close and I have to drive there with no brakes.

Still waiting for Winter to show up here.

Been reading a lot...try to get instruments out and make myself play, but just not into it lately.

Dang, Rich that's rough. My heart goes out you ya. Stuff that gets messed up with your Pop sucks, I know firsthand. Hopefully he'll heal up in good time.

Burnham: Thanks so much. You're so right. I met a very active 72 year old tree climber/production faller at Madsen's Saw Shop in Chehalis today by the name a John Dennehy who was having his saw tuned up for a big residential take-down he is scheduled to do this Wednesday. He and his wife own Double J Tree and Wood in Union Wa. EVERYONE at Madsen's knew him. Guys with like 35 years of experience were like, "hey, ya gotta go over and talk to John." My mind was just absolutely blown. A guy who has fallen 10' and even 12' Firs is now ziplining our little three footers out with the rest of us, but at 74 years of age. It was like talking to a walking, breathing miracle. Man, I left that guy thinking, "The only way that that fellow's gotten where he is today is by approaching EVERY job with the utmost circumspection." What a privilege it was just chatting with him for a bit. Weirdly humble... he seemed to think about himself as being like every other tree guy. I wish to God I could have videoed the conversation with him without looking like a total jackass.

Vharrison: That's just a Bandit 18xp. Pretty good machine, but it takes DEF, and if the chute plugs, you have to be super careful when you clean it out or else the chips fall on the muffler and it likes to catch fire all the time. :lol::O:lol:

f'ing chippers! I had a Vermeer once that shot the end off 30 feet into the woods. Replaced the chute end and then it blew a belt and started steaming so I thought it was on fire. I took care of "the fire" but smoke was still appearing. That's when I realized the muffler had caught the grass on fire under the chipper. All within a few minutes. Demon chipper!!!

We were using it at my BIL's house. He used it a few days after the fire incident until a drum bearing got so hot it started glowing...he shut the chipper down....at the same time he realized it had a split in the seam of the gas tank.

When I went back the next week to pick it up I was on the way home after dark, looked out the passenger side window and saw fire. It had blown a tire, blew the fender off the chipper and the burst tire had caught fire. I had a half gallon of water and managed to put out the fire before the gas tank exploded (remember the crack?)

I sold it a few weeks ago for $650. The devil lurks elsewhere now.

Jed what is the horsepower. It looks as big as ours, ours is a 280 hd and will go up to a 18 inch log. No fire problem though.
what clogs your shoot? Do you sharpen yours knives frequently?

Totally awesome post, Jed.

I've had similar meetings with folks over the years, leaves you buzzing :dude: Awesome inspiration.

72? He must be tougher n a boiled owl, hard as wang leather.

It'd be fun to watch that guy work

Back