How'd it go today?

Went to bid two rotten maples at a waterlogged customer's house, and then talking to the retired neighbors next door. They were high school sweethearts, reconnected, I gathered. We all grew up in the three towns with adjacent corners, rehashing favorite pizza places that have been around forever, the Cermak Plaza Spindle seen in Wayne's World, etc.

Good Time Clock | Cermak Plaza - https://cermakplaza.com/good-time-clock/ This was amazing to me as a kid, across the parking lot from the Spindle. l

Neighbors have a hollow like a drum, with huge cavity bigleaf maple, over their outbuilding/ well-house for the three adjacent properties.

They just had a large tree and small tree 'calve' off their bank into the Puget Sound. I couldn't see much of it, as it was high-tide.

It's been wet and cloudy here for the last week, and I've had to bag all the jobs customer's agreed to, not wanting to tear up their lawns. Can't even get out to my cousin's job in PA, as his yard is under water (they have not had the ground freeze even once yet!)

Spent the morning doing follow up training w/the brush monkeys, teaching them better saw/bucking skills, felling 101 and then tying nooses around their necks retraining them on knots they've had my demos and app/videos for the last 5 months!!!!

Went back on Friday to finish the stump job, tire went on the grinder so had to come home and fix that. Then it was too hot to go back out there so just got a few things done in town.

Back out Saturday early and got it finished, 90F in the kitchen when I got back and that felt pretty good. I didn't, I think I'm turning into a cold climate person. Rest day today, mowing the suddenly growing grass can wait a few days till it cools down.

20200201_115352.jpg

Working on a 5' high shed for me at my GF's. This one blew over in a storm a couple years ago. Previous owners had a plywood floor on a deck. Some old bed frames and old 4x4s made the base lift the shed up to 7'. I think I have enough sheet metal to fill in the bottom, I have used plywood for the floor.
9.5' by 6.5' wide, so a bit of storage and work space.

Dry storage is great!

My renter's are moving out in the next day or couple. I"m getting back a 80 square foot root in my barn, with counters and shelves, and 80 square feet in my wood shed, plus real access to my wood shed when they move their big, "tiny house", and my regular, gravel chip truck and chipper parking space. None too soon. With 22.9" inches of rain this January, ground under chips is swampy.

The bc935 is still doing fine. Before it I had a BC1200...a CND from the 70's. It had a "prototype" 6 cylinder engine (per Vermeer)...most of the 1200s had a 4 cylinder. It was a beast when running, sounded like death; but it was a lot of trouble.

Spent the day deleting old email. I somehow have been running with my client misconfigured for years, and deleting mail left it in the "all mail" folder on gmail. I had to use gmail's terrible interface to go through it and get rid of most of the junk. I only have the account cause I didn't know better when I created it. Gmail(and all google services) is spyware. It's only used for legacy purposes now. I'll eventually export all my mail, and get rid of the account. It's the last google service I use. Once it's gone, I'll be done with google.

Never watched one in my life. There was a couple times I was in the room while it was on, but I wasn't watching it. I don't like watching other people play games unless I know them. Last game I saw and enjoyed was watching a girlfriend play soccer in highschool. That was a loooong time ago...

My son did. Levi has taken an interest. Katy watched the half time. She likes the gals sing in. Me, I feel it a waste of time. I've always been more preferable towards participation in the things I like to do than watch people on tv paid to do it.
So since I have been battling asthma due to an accumulation of dust, dander and some recently found mold in my room; I need to gut my room. I have had to temporarily move into a room at my parents to get my health in check so I can work. Finally climbed a couple trees Thursday and Friday. I let the Wraptor pull me up. But I monkey'ed around in them ok. The cold damp air is a tad painful at times. Need to remember me little masks. So a mucking I go. Kids and Katy are ok and are home. They do ok with it.
Seeing a doctor on Monday. Get my meds renewed accordingly.
Down to a bed and a couple pieces of furniture. Tear up the carpet for the big scrub down. My belongings in a u haul chilling in the front yard staying dry till I am ready to move them back in.
Like spring cleaning. Trash some stuff. Burn some old paperwork. Donate some stuff. Move some to storage.......
Get it done between work and sleep.
Parents and I are having a good visit.

Getting old(ish) and sick really sucks,Stephen.
I know all about that.

Going to prune 4 Japanese maples, measure some bad maples to compare to a subcontractor spider-lift, and finish an HOA pruning.

I think I may have a customer that may be loosing his faculties. He is suffering from parkinson's and I think it is progressing. :( Really cool guy former teacher that his past students have nothing bad to say about him.

Corey: That's funny, I had to scroll back up when I read your post, and I indeed wrote 72, but Mr. Dennehy is 74. Tough?... Dude... He looked kinda like... I don't really know what. I guess he looked a bit like an old sailor. Didn't walk super awsome. He sat really stuped-over, but then when he stood up he was easily your height, skinny, and straight as a board. The entire shop (the place is absolutely HUGE) was like, "See ya later John!" He just walked out like they were talking to someone else.

Gary: Wow. I haven't read anything that funny for a really good while. :lol: What a PIECE! Glad yer finally rid of that pig, man. Someone elses demon child now.:lol:

Vharrison: I think it's 165hp???... Anyways, yeah, it's only rainsoaked, heavily foliated brush that ever clogs the chute. If you have a lot of nice big wood to chip along with it you can prevent it, but it NEVER happens in summer. Make and model don't matter, it's just something that all of us PNW's deal with all winter. Yeah, blade condition does matter to some extent.

Sean: So do you ever work on non-rotten Maples? :lol:

Steve: BRUTAL temps!

Peter: Keep us in the loop with that build.

Here are a couple of root rot Firs that we did today. LOL, sorry, I am trying to post on the house from my phone for the first time. Pretty sure I have mucked everything up. Sorry about the hard times Stephen. The first shot is over 5' on the stump. Mostly wound wood from Armillaria. 20200203_145529.jpg

Attachments

• 20200203_145553.jpg
    20200203_145553.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200203_151504.jpg
    20200203_151504.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200203_151517.jpg
    20200203_151517.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200203_105635.jpg
    20200203_105635.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Started a 3 maple removal for a firefighting friend today. All 3 are oversized Norway Maples, and all have problems. Got the first today, a 60 footer that we pulled w/the Masdaam. Made a big mess w/all the limbs & sawdust. Feel free to rate my crappy hinge (it did fall exactly where I wanted though! :D ). The last picture is number 2 that we'll be dropping tomorrow.
IMG_20200203_121839.jpg IMG_20200203_121857.jpg IMG_20200203_130516.jpg

Back