How'd it go today?

Finished work early, and cleared vines. Spent a bunch of time pulling dead vines out of the trees. Not as productive, but it looks better.

At home I took ashes to my backyard to dump, and noticed the snowdrops are blooming. I think they're really early this year. Haven't had much of a winter... :^(

edit:
Just looked at some old pictures on my phone. The snowdrops are about a month earlier than last year.

Took down the last sickly oak from that multi-day job I posted pics of the tight clearance ash from a week+ ago. 90 footer surrounded by smaller trees and a shed. Rigged every limb down and blocked the stick down to 40ft before able to drop. Had a limb swing over the top and smack my helmet off, leaving me with a forehead war wound and broken ear muff :(. Only ended up pruning a few smaller limbs off the neighbor trees, then discovered the rotting center of the stump going up about 12ft into the stem after dropping. These people had me drop 9 different trees, 4 next to/close to the house after they got a rude awakening last January (micro-burst w/60MPH winds blew over another 90ft oak leaning the opposite way into their bedroom). All in all, a good 5 days work and they were happy to pay me by the hour and disposal costs for all the wood (3 trailer loads).

Started the morning off cleaning up the yard and pushing snow. Got to the job and ran one of the dawgs on the 2511 under my thumb nail. That smarts a little more than you'd think, feels numb right now until you bump it. Proceeded to remove a large limb off of a big oak and some light deadwooding over the driveway.

Yee-ouch!

Was going to start one of two new projects, but home with a sick kid. She's doing fine, now, and I'll start it tomorrow.

Have a little over a week in a row of dad-time, so not a lot of production.

Yesterday was about 1.5" of rain. Today was minimal. Tomorrow, some showers.

Pretty easy day. Aside from usual work, I planted my desktop jul tree(ERC) behind the office. I also dug up a tiny holly from beside my driveway, and that'll go in an area I've been clearing brush. Checked out the mulberry I want to climb. Not as much work as I remembered. I need to remove a bunch of broken dead stuff, then faaar out on a bottom limb, I need to trim it up for tractor clearance. That should be interesting. I'll probably end up falling :^D Oh, well. That's what it's for. I could stand on top of my truck and get that low stuff, but I want to try walking out there. It'll be a good low risk trial.

Tough night tonight. The GF is really getting into the live edge sales, answering emails and setting up customers, so tonight we went over board foot, linear foot and quarters measurement. Took awhile. Not all sunk in.

Mellow, my son had a principal, Dino Crapsy. No shit.

Did you explain it to her, And have her measure some things for practical experience?

There's an educational expression...
Tell me, I'll forget.
Show me, I might remember.
Involve me, I'll understand.

Good team work!!!

Aright, Sean... Here's a big ol' skanky Maple for yeah. I thought of you when I stood on this stump... seems like yer always having to deal with turds like this. Snotty today... what else is new. Double tie-in fer Burnham and Corey. The second to last shot was cut with the new Husq tophandle with a 16" bar, completely buried. Its the 2nd gen. 540... the 542 technically, I guess. Man, you just drill a hole through the bottom of the muffler... MAN what a motor sword. 20200129_130936.jpg 20200129_111027.jpg 20200129_111006.jpg 20200129_111934.jpg

20200129_112002.jpg

Jed, my brother...the double tie-in surely ain't for me, or for Cory...and it really isn't even for you, you bag of bullocks balls:).

It's for your wife and kids, and the life you should wish to have with them for the next 40 years or so, ya dumb bunny.

The rest of your buds here might also bear a bit of consideration, too. You think we don't appreciate your friendship and contributions to our community? You think it would be like water off a duck's back to us all if you came to harm?

Wake up, my esteemed friend.

Best to you, always.
Burnham

Last edited:
I can hear it now..."...but it's 81* in the shade...".

Bit more than that today.

Stump grinding on a property just out of town and no shade, plenty of trees but just none left there. Gave in around 2pm so have to go back tomorrow. At least we've had a few storms so I didn't have to wear my respirator for a change.

We had a fun day at work today.
A former apprentice, who quit logging 5 years ago to become a cop called me and say he had a day off and would love to go out and fell some trees with us.
He had lost a little speed, but was still really smooth, a pleasure to watch.

He will be sore as hell from this.
Even though he is in real good shape, picking up a saw and logging a full day will be felt.
I let him use my MS 500i, he was really impressed with that.

Back