How'd it go today?

Remember this one?

We were already out for storm cleanup on this one, now two weeks later the homeowner pulled the trigger:
P1320280.jpg P1320287.jpg P1320291.jpg
We wrecked out this tall silver maple in just under 3 hours. I ran the GRCS then sliced it up with the 395XP. So much rot that we didn't have to halve the cookies -- they broke apart for chipper feeding. I'll be back out to grind the stump (3' x 4') tomorrow!

Then just another silver maple safety pruning at a daycare, removing limbs over the children's play area. Nice refreshing rain, but there sure was a stiff breeze! We were afraid it was going to be human teatherball for our climber!

Today started off bad but turned out pretty good. I had the mini behind me on my way to work this morning when the front passenger brake caliper decided it no longer wanted to release. I had a Good Samaritan follow me the last quarter mile to the shop to let me know he thought my brakes were burning as if I couldn?t smell it. Then he informed me he ran the service department at XYZ car sales. Told him I have a good machanic but thanks captain obvious. Ordered my parts and went to work. Job went smoothly and off at a good time. Replaced the caliper and cleaned up some stumps from a few nights ago. On my way home a customer called to let me know he was bringing his payment over tonight. Paid in cash and made sure I knew there was a hundred extra for the fine job we did. The wife was a bit grouchy cause we were talking for so long but she cheered right back up when I tossed a bill at her purse:/:

My lovely wife is raising two kids alone while I'm 4 to 5 hours away working... she's about the best out there! She's a redhead tho, and quite feisty, and keeps me in check. :D

Kyle, as an aside, you mentioned one kid can speak about xx words. Consider this. The kid can speak ten times that many words, its just that you can only understand 10% of the words that make it out of the mouth. Basic sign language, even just colors, works amazingly well for you to understand what your kid is ALREADY saying.

When a kid is upset, they can use the part of the brain for gross motor skills much, much more effectively than the verbal part of their brain, plus all the muscles in their throat and mouth.

When an upset, or to prevent an upset kid, colors rule out 90% of things. Most things are not the BLUE thing, and 90% of things are not the whatever-color. If a kid wants something or is trying to tell you about something, and they can sign that "blue" thing, you're way ahead, especially when on adult is faced with two kids, and tired.

Hungry, thirsty,, blue, red, white, hot, cold, eggs, milk, love, all-done, etc, are very powerful words. 20 signs could go so far.

Just google "ASL eggs" and you will get a couple second long video showing how to sign 'egg'. When D was little and hungry in the night, I used to wake up and make her eggs. She's wake up hungry and crying. I'd ask by signing if she was hungry, or she would sign that she was hungry (imagine trying to make your voice work at 3am when you just wake up, and you're not very good at speaking). I'd sign "hungry" then "eggs", and she knew I knew she was hungry, and she knew we were going to one-hand some eggs, while holding her in the other arm. Crying and frustration stopped, and we were off to the kitchen.

Magic, I tell you, Magic.

Lots less frustration.

Welcome to the CDL Brotherhood

I finally went out for my CDL test today (just been permitted the last 3 months... before that just the pickup or a little around town action). I didn't sleep good last night and stomach is churning from the stress. I got selected to do the whole truck in the pre-trip inspection, so that was a good hour of talking non-stop (a rarity for me!) The Goodyear blimp was flying overhead (no one knew why it was in town?), but it felt more like a vulture hovering. Whew. Glad it's over, good till 2024, here in Kansas or across state lines in Missouri.

Gonna go grind up 2 stumps now to de-stress.

Congrats on the CDL. Class A or Class B? I got mine over 20 years ago when working for a local municipality and it has been a valuable tool ever since. Don't EVER let it expire! Too expensive to retest and get it back again later. Keep it renewed for the rest of your life and it will always be a tool in your pocket to make you money.

B w/air brakes, interstate - all I need to drive the chipper truck and our (soon coming) bucket truck. I don't really care to drive our grapple log truck that requires Class A -- old Western Star beast is a rougher ride, to be sure (but it gets some jobs done!). For sure, if work ever dries up I could moonlight with a dump truck or cement truck or even a delivery truck. I used to run a Freightliner FL60 & Mitsubishi Fuso box trucks delivering pallets of produce, but it was farm licensed so I didn't need a CDL then. And in Mobile, Alabama our 40' crane was under 26,000, so no CDL required there either.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a new chip truck so I went and looked at one yesterday. Freightliner M2 with a Southco 14/72 forestry dump bed and "L" tool boxes. $86,000!!!!! WTF!?!? I had one of those moments when I realized, "I'm becoming my dad." He grew up during the great depression when everything used to cost pennies. I thought about my first chip truck that I bought in the mid 1980's for $15,000 brand new. And the progression of new chip trucks since then; 1995 - $30,000. 2005 - $50,000. 2016 - $65,000.

Here's one from Altec for only $84K.
https://www.altec.com/products/available-inventory/new/2017-af1472l-chip-dump-5987/

Altec-AF1472-53865987_0002s_0000_Layer-302.jpg

And this one's a bargain at only $77K.
https://www.altec.com/products/available-inventory/new/2017-altec-af1360l-9968/

Altec-AF1360-47829968_0002s_0000_Layer-367.jpg

Good tip there Sean, I'm gonna have to start teaching her that!! We have been very lucky, both kids are very happy, and have slept through the night from like 2 months on... the wife keeps a very regimented schedule with food, naps, outside playing time, etc. I didn't know they could learn sign language that early as well, that would be wonderful to teach them that as well.

Wanting to nurse is an easy, powerful one. Milk is like pulling an udder. An easy gross-motor movement. More and All-done are very helpful.

Here's one from Altec for only $84K. And this one's a bargain at only $77K.
If it says anything, that's a heck of a lot more than our total initial capital investment, of which the chip truck was only one part (1/3, perhaps). Doing the DIY method sure saves some ca$h. I always liked the smaller aluminum trucks from our Cape Cod branch:
c8ac0f51-4c18-43e7-9c23-cc0c38ce6a10.jpg 100_17301.jpg

Stealthy, until the chipper fires up

Man, that's loud!
(Actually, we've found it pays to be loud. More neighbors and passersby notice us and seek us out, asking for quotes. We've garnered quite a bit of work just from having a high noise output and job site presence!)

Trying to get some more life out of the scratching post. Plus I'm able to have climbing rope in the living room which is a victory of sorts.8)

That's Chico on the floor and Gary up top. :D

1.jpg 2.jpg 5.jpg

I have a couple old hanks of that rope. Shittiest climbing rope I ever used, and it would flat out disappear in a tree as well. I have no idea what the folks at Sherrill were thinking when they came out with that color combo.

Went to the coast to do a few bits to the new house.

My BIL came along in one of his flash cars, this ones a Corvette (unusual for him to have a yankee motor) computer chipped to take it to 700 hp.

He says engine is great but gearbox is crap.

Attachments

• B525AE85-C600-4828-880F-866E3C992612.jpg
    B525AE85-C600-4828-880F-866E3C992612.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 26
Back