How'd it go today?

I think I found that pump and it only has a little throw. Seems it hardly pumps anything. So we tried priming and bleeding by turning it over and cracking the lines on the injectors.

I'm sure Jim knows a lot more about it but I think that lift pump also acts like a check valve and keeps the system from losing prime.

Just curious, where and how did you mount the boxes? The customer told me where to put it and I did because I have no idea where they should be placed. I don't know if it matters that we mounted it in a branch union versus mounting it on the clear stem. I put it about 35' up vs 65'.... I wonder if any of that even matters.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mighty late in replying...that's what you get from retired old farts :D.

I located them purely from the point of view of "where would I like my cavity nest to be if I was flying squirrel?" As if I had a clue :).

The boxes were recycled wood duck boxes, so about 2 1/5 feet tall by a foot square. the entrance hole was right up under the front of the roof, shed style sloped side to side. I gave those poor trees hell...the box backs extended above and below the box proper by about six inches...Just screwed them to the trunk with a couple of 3 inch self tapping screws above and below. None of the wood was treated, so I figured they'd fall apart by the time the tree shoved them off with diameter growth.

I ended up taking them down when they began to look pretty decrepit...might have been 7 years after first installed I think...the PO rebuilt them, and I re-hung them back about the same places. Those flying squirrels still are using them today, about 5 years after that.

Hope the chipper gets up and running! Cheaply!

Answered an ad to help out someone on disability to take down 6 dead dead dead pine trees. City is after her. Can be flopped, just the yard needs to be cleared of stuff. Dropped one today, took out half of another one in the process. We'll see if she follows through.

Dropped off a few cards for some potential customers from the past. Offering clean up now.

Sat with my Mom for an hour while my Dad went shopping.

Picked up a hasp at Canadian tire and off to remove the undermount tool box off my F350 to fix it up and secure it. Kinda worried, with me in the truck and a few bottles of oil I'm at 3500Kg, and my limit till I get my CVOR is 4500Kg. Might have to get a trailer sooner than later to hopefully avoid fines.

Does it have a glass bowl sediment trap?

I have the same engine on my chipper, and there was a tiny crack in the filter housing, not the glass bowl, which was sucking in air. Discovered that after I'd had the lift pump rebuilt....

Tossed the glass bowl completely and fitted a disposable plastic inline filter instead.

Scales mostly on the major highways, 400 series. No where near me, at the moment. East of me Burlington way MTO does pull over and do spot checks. We have the 403 through Brantford, no real need for me to go on it. Norfolk and Brant counties are pretty quiet with the OPP spot checks, for now.

Been logging in hot humid weather all week.
I'm beat.

It was nice to get back to the woods and slay some large beech trees, but starting logging again after a period of doing other, more arbo related stuff, always kills me the first week.
Sure hasn't gotten easier with age.

I guess it's the relentlessness of logging compared to the stop/start, rest, tea, shag the clients wife nature of domestic arb work.

Logging to scale is relentless, alright.
Whar really killed me this time was the weather.

Drinking extra fluids always seems to help on a tough week. I was drinking 6 to 8l in per day in the woods last summer. I have missed logging this summer - the origonal site was shut down due to the wet weather & the new one is 90% machine cuttable.

Time for some new footwear...lost the sole of my asolo hikers yesterday and now today one of my Wolverine boots blew the side out of it.

ordered a pair of these.

Mower drive is done in and guy hasn't come for it yet, so am string trimming what I didn't finish. I'll run through a tank a day and see if I can keep up. I've got a feeling I'm gonna lose at least some of the back part...I'm mowing close to 3 acres right now.

Does it have a glass bowl sediment trap?

I have the same engine on my chipper, and there was a tiny crack in the filter housing, not the glass bowl, which was sucking in air. Discovered that after I'd had the lift pump rebuilt....

Tossed the glass bowl completely and fitted a disposable plastic inline filter instead.

No glass bowl. But after some you tube research, I seem to have to dig into a few places for hidden filters and start by cleaning those, already did the fuel filter canister. Tomorrow I will have more time with a wrench. Took the little chipper to work today on a twin leader incense cedar. Good opportunity to teach some rigging technique to Jason. Side by side so we could pass the rope back and forth and talk through it. Some fun spar pole and negative blocking. He's coming along. Mike ran rope amazingly. Never shook us up. Nice 4 hour day :)

Checked Murphy switch....jumped it and no start. Seems to activate a celenoid at the injection pump.
No start. Turns over, no start or smoke. Bleed injectors and I get smoke, tries to run and shuts down. I bled the system wrong from what I read.

Sounds like a fuel problem to me. There IS fuel in it right?

Joking of course, but not really. I did that once.:D

How did you bleed it "wrong"?

You should be able to crack the lines and tell if there is fuel there. Might not be enough to make it run though.

Jim.

I need to first bleed the fuel filter canister housing. Instead, someone told me to just fill the canister with fuel. I think I let too much leak out when I tightened it back up. Old fingers and such... sandwich type.
Then bleed the injection pump on two places... then the injectors themselves. I was unaware and trying to do something in the field under some guidance. Anyway.... I only tried to bleed at the injectors.. Guess there is still tons of air in the system. Yes there is fuel.
Then I found what seems to either be a separator or something under a shroud I was unaware of.
There are screen filters in the injection pump and fuel pump and probably the what might be a separator. Seems they get pretty gunked up and we have LOUSY fuel here in these hills. Dirty as fug. I took a brand new fuel can, put fuel in it, and the can had tons of particles in the bottom after we topped off the tank. Go figure.

Back