How'd it go today?

HA, yeah but it's getting a bit late...I'm whooped. Got all my grocery stuff done though. Yard is still screaming "cut me".

Whats with all these wrong threads lately?:P

We have a huge cherry orchard that went in a few years back where all of the cherries are pre-sold/contracted to China. The orchard must be around 40-50acres and they have atleast six of them scattered throughout the region. Anytime it rains even just a bit when the cherries are about choppers come each time and 'dry' the cherries off so they don't split. Every single time it rains at all three choppers come and dry out this orchard. Amazes me there's so much money in cherries.

It's a km or so from me on the hillside so I can see it plain as day.

That happened where I grew up too Squish. As I understand it when the cherries are green or start to turn white they are OK with some rain, but once they turn red if it rains they will split.

Like tomatoes. Take in too much water and split where summer gets a lot of rain. it would be a problem to cover an orchard. How do they dry them, Squish?

Nice work, Joel. 395 rocks for sure.

Jimbo, damn! Are you guys having record rainfall?

Finally camping for fun, took my wife and kids (and mother in law) to the upper peninsula for a week of camping and relaxation. So far the relaxation is making me miss work. So I must be having fun.

Great start to the week! Got to the office and parked at the end of a one way street where the lot is, got my climbing bag and saw out and put behind the car... Got in the car to get ready the other stuff, and saw one of the guys go into the lot, so thought I would be sneaky and reversed up the one way street, forgetting my kit was behind me! Lucky no damage, just some road was on the DMM bag. Jeez! Lesson, don't try and be sneaky lol

Had a call from a forwarder operator today.
He had got himself stuck on a steep slope, with no way out but down.
That meant he couldn't reach the last 15 spruce in the stand.
So I headed off to the woods to help him out.
My favourite situation in fact.
Old time logger with his trusty saw helps the fancy new machine out ( Pretty fancy in fact, biggets model Ponsse makes).

In order for him to be able to reach him, I had to put the trees down as close to the harvester as possible.
One had so much back lean, I didn't even try to wedge it up, but felled it sideways to the lean and let a whizzy pull it closer to the machine as it fell, being ready to nip the hinge if it got too close.
It hit about 9 feet from the divers cabin.
Afterwards I said to him, that he didn't look to worried about that big stick crashing next to him.
Nope, he said, I've known you for a long time.
Finest compliment I've had for quite a a while:)

We have indeed known each other since the tail end of the 70es when we logged together.
Then he evolved into harvesters and I stuck to hand falling.

Benn. Sounds like you got off lucky!

Stig. Sounds dicey, glad it all went well.

I fear the worst for the cherry orchard. They had atleast seven choppers out there flying into the night(I went to bed at 11 and they were buzzing around still) and now today it's rained all morning and supposed to rain all day and evening and nary a chopper in sight? I wonder if they have had to, give up, so to speak? Even my wife is wondering how the numbers can add up on something like that? Seven choppers I could see at once. There could've been eight or nine there. Looked borderline chaotic. It's not a huge piece of land for that many chops to be hovering around.

Here's my crap pic from earlier yesterday where you can kind of see the layout of the orchard and can just make out one chopper sort of right above the line of larger trees blocking some of the view. The other specs of white you can see throughout the orchard are giant towers with wind generating turbines on them. They use them to disrupt cold air from settling in the orchard and harming the blossoms earlier in the year.
image.jpg

Nice looking spot Nic.

Treated myself to breakfast out, then Sec of State, Vet, and dropped the Silverado off to the mechanic for a few small things.
Heading out to golf a quick 9 with a buddy in a few.
As a nice Bday present my property tax showed up in the mailbox this morning...:|:

Oh, "choppers" = helicopters! That must be expensive. Does the exhaust emissions and unburned fuel displace the water on the cherries? :lol:

I don't now about that. But they didn't give up. They're back at it again. Only two of them this time. It's just hard for me to fathom the dollars involved in those cherries. I've never seen seven choppers at once ever before I think? Certainly not buzzing around all together like that into the dark? If I lived closer I think all that hovering around would bug the hell out of me after awhile. I feel sorry for the neighbours over there.

I may be in much better graces with the kids now.

Brought home a couple of baseball gloves. Dug my old one out too. Man, does that bring back memories! I may have been slow, but I was a good distance judge. The other coaches used to tell the kids to try to hit it to center or right, stay away from left.

My neighbor three or four years older taught me to catch a baseball. We'd be out there playing catch almost every day, throwing across the neighbors lawn between our houses. He fancied himself a pitcher, liked to throw burners. Sure enough I became a catcher. I thought him to thank, but I pretty much conclude now that Jerry was being sadistic. :lol: I'm sure I couldn't catch his fastball now.

I dunno about your old buddy Jerry's fetishes, but anybody who freely elects to be a hardball catcher most certainly qualifies as masochistic :D.

Heck, I played second base back in high school and I off and on wondered how much brains I was employing, out there with the over-aggressive base stealers and their high slides :).

Wearing a cup turns masochism into a sport!

Second can be pretty bang bang, I played a little there too. I think third is for the nuts, those hot liners that you are lucky if you have the time to focus upon.

You are right as rain on that, Jay. Fortunately for me, though my HS coach tried me at third a few times, and I could handle the fielding well enough, I just didn't have the arm for it. First is a long way over there :). It's a pisser to make a nice stop, but just not have the steam to throw a halfway decent runner out.

Back