How'd it go today?

Wow Jay. Ur a badass, I couldn't handle 4 yrs of dude yelling at me.

Funny. Dave

My dad said a sharp tool is a safe tool.....just the same but opposite.

Interesting sharpening talk.
Damaged spruce to finish the week off, the wife is going back to England for a week. Just me and the dog.

Can get a bit dull around here.

Oil stones are real cool too. I have a couple, but my water stones go up to much finer grits. Water stones are generally softer, so they require more maintenance. There are some great synthetic water stones currently available at reasonable prices. Natural water stones don't much get mined anymore. I can advise if anyone is interested.

Jay, 30 years ago I had a really nice Japanese gold water stone 10,000X grit about approximately 10" long X 3 " wide . Sold a competition racing axe to a fellow and threw the brand new stone in with the sale.
Sure wish I didn't give it away now, I bought it from Lee Valley Tools. Not sure if it was a natural stone, thought you might know?

Nightmare scenario. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

The answer is to have emergency supplies stockpiled around the house and yard.

That sucks Willard.

I have some beer that was bought a dozen years ago sitting in the basement Peter. Wife wants to throw it out, but its my emergency beer. Once you have been through something that horrible, you make sure it dosent happen again.

Good idea on stashing some in the yard. Grandpa kept some Lord Calvert in the chicken coop.

Every now and then clients give me a bottle of their homemade Pineau, a strong.....well I don't really know what it is.
Anyway it's always there, in the back off the cupboard, in case of zombie apocalypse.

I know the tragedy of what you speak Jim. It is a terrible, terrible feeling.

Had a good day. A guy that's has been testing the waters with us did a bit of climbing this morning. Nothing hard. He did ok. I could tell he's fairly new to it. He got the tree down safely and in a reasonable time.

Bought a nice big Sentry fire safe of my old boss today. Sounded like a great idea at the time. . . not there's a 600lbs block sitting in the back of my truck. Not moving it tonight. haha

Get some friends Sam. Sounds like a nice safe.

I took my new rifle to my range today. Just got back in.

Fire forming some brass, so I was not expecting very good accuracy. With the .25-06 Improved you take regular .25-06 brass and fire it in your gun with the "improved" chamber. The improved chamber is cut straighter, with less taper and has a sharper shoulder angle at 40 degrees. The shoulder is also moved ahead a bit.

You take a hot load for the regular .25-06 and just shoot it.

I got some nice groups. Some three shot groups had all three holes touching and a 10 shot group was about an inch. I was in the process of "breaking in" the barrel, so I had some fouling shots in the mix that opened some of the groups up to around an inch.

Usually when you fire form accuracy is not as good, so with the potential I have seen so far, this should be an accurate rifle!

I was using Hornady cases with 57 grains of Reloader 19. 85 grain B Tip bullet.

Now that the cases are formed, I will load 10 with 57.5, 10 with 58, and 10 with 58.5. The new case is bigger so they figure a max load with a regular .25-06 is a good starting load for the Improved version.

Jim, I was wondering how your new rifle was doing. After that description and my limited gun knowledge, I'm still wondering.

This is some of what we have been working on around taking down dead trees. The clearance guys are making messes we occasionally get to help clean up. Right now I am using subs for the really big stuff and my trailers for smaller logs and littles and chips. We had the HOs contact the utility co and have the straighten up this on. Originally, no logs decked, all on top oof the brush, nothing chipped. They did kind of an fu job of it. Wiped out their drainage behind the house for three lots that runs to a culvert under the street. This yard looks good compared to some. If any of you had a crew do this to a yard, you would fire them. Mills won't want the logs as they are too short.

Attachments

• tmp_16403-20160510_120507-1792411077.jpg
    tmp_16403-20160510_120507-1792411077.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 40
  • tmp_16403-20160510_120502-1775782477.jpg
    tmp_16403-20160510_120502-1775782477.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 37
  • tmp_16403-20160510_120440777857544.jpg
    tmp_16403-20160510_120440777857544.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 40
Need to frame up another equipment shed Jim?
A lot of my mill able logs I give to a farmer friend. His family is always building or fixing some structure on their properties.

Back