How'd it go today?

Took the family to the city down south last week , got home last night.
On the way down driving through our Boreal Forest a lynx causally crosses the highway in front of us, as we slow down enough we look to the right and see a bald eagle sitting on a dead tree in the middle of a pond. Look to the left and a beaver is dragging some limbs in the water. By the time we get out of our vehicle 2 woodland caribou run across the highway in front of us with a fox getting out of their way.
By the time we got our phones up to take pics there was nothing to take a picture of but trees and water Hahaha.

But we did get this picture of this strange animal on the way back home on the prairie outside our capital city Winnipeg.

20160508_112403-1.jpg 20160508_112712.jpg 20160508_112734.jpg

The train crossing the road probably isn't going very fast, but it seems best that crossings should have automatic gates. A button too, that lets the engineer know that you are stuck on the tracks. :\:

OMG...talk about the HO providing lunch!
Today's offering was tabouleh salad, baked pumpkin casserole with brown sugar walnut and currant topping, beef casserole, fresh bread...hot and bubbling fresh from the oven!!!
Last week there was Thai grilled salmon, salmon quiche, salad with Thai dressing, we've also had ravioli, baked pasta, fresh pizza...enough to take home for dinner too.

Ooohhhh, I LOVE working here :)

Fiona, that seems more than very nice, but after lunch does your customer ever offer you a place to sleep for thirty or forty minutes with a fluffed up pillow? :P

The train crossing the road probably isn't going very fast, but it seems best that crossings should have automatic gates. A button too, that lets the engineer know that you are stuck on the tracks. :\:

Jay, 2 mile long freight trains blast through there at 60 MPH.
No need for gates , only need flashing lights here. On these flat straight prairie highways you can see those lights miles away.

Track here got sold to a private concern that does old train rides.

Markings and stops have all been removed; they just depend on the whistle.

It's a terrible waste of what could be good transportation for folks and has been turned into strictly an entertainment thing where they only get on/off at one point. They stop in front of my house to switch the engine and head back the other way.

I think our country made a mistake not upgrading the railroad. Pretty much let it fall into disrepair. Much more fuel efficient than trucks.

My bud used to be the head honcho at the local freight car repair shop. I rode up with him to the shop to unload a shipment or repaired wheels/axles. Load up the bad ones to send them back.

How did they ship them from Niagara Falls to Michigan? By truck, of course.

Hah, indeed, don't eat too much. But I can honestly say I haven't felt sleepy after all the food. It's not heavy.
My bucket truck guy says he's going to leave his wife and camp out down here...
The manager was away today, we had to make do with leftovers, but gourmet leftovers!

Attachments

• IMG_20160510_010444.jpg
    IMG_20160510_010444.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 42
Tested out my new ......to me....Carlton 2500-4 stump grinder today. Engine runs perfect. Not a thing wrong with it, other than the wheel drive chain needed to be adjusted. Everything works like new. Just ordered a complete set of new greenteeth for it from TreeStuff.com. They'll be here tomorrow. Very happy with my purchase. $6250.00 at auction.....plus $1500 more to get it here.
Carlton 2500-4.jpg

Joel

71fcac4e7d722c4bfc61e1adc4d62cc1.jpg

I've been seeing this "a lot".

I enjoy riding the trains. Freights generally come through at late night when the tracks aren't being used by passenger trains. When a kid on my bike, I came very close to getting hit by a freight at a crossing with no gate. I've been wary of train track crossings my whole life after that incident. With so many trains running, and even with all crossings having gates, unfortunate incidents still happen. People's negligence as a rule, I haven't ever heard of a gate failure. If a train hits your car and you have exited it, the bill that the railroad company gives you could well make you die from a heart attack. If a person is killed when a train hits their car, I think the deceased person's family is obligated to pay. The family also has to pay when their is a suicide jumper, more pain to your grief, and not an uncommon occurrence.

Today went pretty good (for me) chipper broke down, chip truck leaks coolant like a bastard. But I killed 7 poplar trees. All tight quarters, root popped, and needless to day I feel pretty good about what we got done. Pictures will have to be shown after I get home since the tent had terrible Internet service ha ha ha

Joel that is awesome news re the Carlton, bangin price! Just curious, $1500.00 seems high to ship it?

Cory,

I live on the Canadian border in North Dakota. The stump grinder was purchased by way of an internet auction from McGrew Equipment Company in Pennsylvania. I've purchased many items for my business through Proxibid auctions. Always great service from Proxibid. The shipping cost me 1500 due to the distance. It was about 1500 miles to get it here. It arrived in three days.

Joel

We have a railroad that goes through the village in Tasmania, the closest crossing is a block and a half away from us.
Only one crossing of five in the village has lights, and none have barriers. The sign says 'Stop, look for trains'.
Its a nice sound, we like it. We'll sometimes go for a walk after dinner and try and catch the evening train coming through, you can go up to the top of 'the' hill and look for the lights then go down to the crossing and watch it go past.
We get maybe 4 every night, they toot at every crossing...one gets used to it.

The little town I live near has the main track for the north west US going through it. When the oil boom was on there would be 50 trains a day going through, at 50 to 75 mph.
You do get used to it, thats true.
On a clear night they wake me up out here.

Back