How'd it go today?

No rain here yet for the year but there is a bit in the forecast for tonight......might also be snow!
We'll take anything to not be another Fort Mac.

I owed a guy a favour, so he gave me a bunch of old knives to sharpen, I mean grind and sharpen because they were all nicked up. Getting things real sharp is a passion for me. When I gave them back he said that now he is afraid to use them. :dontknow:

Lost my little buddy Ember today, he's a siamese fighting fish .
Had him for 8 months and enjoyed the little guy, interactive and fiesty. Sad to lose a pet who was like a friend to me.

20160511_172052.jpg

Back in my fishkeeping daze, I had a Betta display tank that held 8 compartments. It was very nice but also very high maintainance.

I owed a guy a favour, so he gave me a bunch of old knives to sharpen, I mean grind and sharpen because they were all nicked up. Getting things real sharp is a passion for me. When I gave them back he said that now he is afraid to use them. :dontknow:

Would you say it is easier to sharpen saw chain than a knife, to razor sharpness?

Craned some logs off two accounts behind structures. Dave's turn... (thattreeguy)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MGcQCW4-iRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nursing school orientation in four hours

Pulled off the triple crown this semester
Chemistry 94.6
Anatomy 99.8
Microbiology 100

Chemistry was an ass whipping ..... Had to go OCD( obsessive chemistry disorder). Seems like I consumed it for breakfast lunch and dinner. National final from the American chemical society was brutal.

Nursing school orientation in four hours

Pulled off the triple crown this semester
Chemistry 94.6
Anatomy 99.8
Microbiology 100

Chemistry was an ass whipping ..... Had to go OCD( obsessive chemistry disorder). Seems like I consumed it for breakfast lunch and dinner. National final from the American chemical society was brutal.

Awesome result, that is an epic amount of hard work.

I did. A stick found the only hole on the underside of the machine and pushed the 90* fitting loose a one in a million shot.
Sounds a little like our stick incident on the mini couple days ago... Found its way up to the fan shroud and pierced it and broke the cooling fan on the Honda motor. Was one of them days.

Would you say it is easier to sharpen saw chain than a knife, to razor sharpness?

Very different entities, Cory. By comparison, with a chain you have a very small area to sharpen per cutter, and the whole job goes pretty much by formula in uninterrupted order, I think can be said. You could almost do it with your eyes closed. Still it entails precision. With knives you are taking the degree of sharpening to a much finer grit up to the high polish stage, and there is a wide variation in steel hardness, some edges come up quick and some require a lot of patience and sometimes going back to a previous step....possibly a few times. One part of the blade can be sharp and another is really a bugger to get there. Also with knives there is the overall shape of the blade to try and keep close to the original intention for it. I find a single side bevel knife generally considerably easier than one with a bevel on both sides, I suspect that most folks do as well. Getting the angles right and not rounding the edge over can be a real chore on a very hard steel knife. I have real good sharpening stones, mostly water stones, and I keep them maintained so they return to being quite flat pretty much after each use. . It's a big part of sharpening to keep the stones in good condition, and that also entails flattening below any nicks. Nicking your stones sucks.

Oil stones are real cool too. I have a couple, but my water stones go up to much finer grits. Water stones are generally softer, so they require more maintenance. There are some great synthetic water stones currently available at reasonable prices. Natural water stones don't much get mined anymore. I can advise if anyone is interested.

Wow Jay. That's serious work.....sharpening. Shows how naive I am.

John, Congratulations Big Time. Wow. You're gonna be such a fantastic help in your patients lives.

Willard, Sorry to hear about Ember.

Looks hot Stephen.....

Raj, good job taking care of the machine that cares for you. :)

Bids today and phone calls.....
Yesterday bids administration and phone calls....tomorrow bids...

:)

Did some welding today, making/modifying a storage shed for my place. Had a few custys in the shop. Waiting on some other "tree guys" to fitm up plans for some work, PITA. Making super for myself at my GF's place, feelin' a bit wobbly, too much rye in the pepsi. Teeth are numb.

I find a single side bevel knife generally considerably easier than one with a bevel on both sides, I suspect that most filks do as swell.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Now I know why I'm mediocre at sharpening knives.

That makes a lot of sense re single side bevel, I wonder why more knives aren't like that, seems like knife performance would be the same yet sharpening would be easier.

Ok, what is a filk, google didn't know.

Spelling mistake corrected!

Just like with saws, blade sharpening is really just a discipline, and if you are using hand tools everyday, the likelihood is that you'll be spending time sharpening each day as well. Just a part of the work. Like Dave mentioned the other day. when his chisel starts to dull he stops to sharpen. Having a good set up and a comfortable place to sharpen changes the game too. You can often tell where someone is at about the work they do, by looking at how their sharpening gear is maintained. Nothing stays sharp for very long with heavy use, even great blades.

I saw an era come when a lot of carpenters no longer had to sharpen their tools, things came pre-cut and fitted, because big company marketing made people think that much waiting for a home to be built was unnecessary. The public accepted that and even small outfits had to follow. That was the same time that those craftsmen that once did fine work lost the connection, you could see them walking around like zombies, and talking about the old days. Sharpening goes way back to early man as a means for survival. Something comfortable about a sharp blade.

My Dad used to tell me "A dull tool is a dangerous tool." Seemed he was always sharpening something.

Could have worked today but it was raining off and on and I'm pretty under the weather already, so will go in tomorrow. Course was too flooded to mow anyway, and that was the plan for the day...

Did manage to finish mowing my lawn this evening though...that was about all I wanted...feeling pretty puny.

Back