How'd it go today?

I'll probably look at the one we both liked Tue or Wed.

Not sure you should miss a day of work for that though...I know how you love your new job:D

Our volunteer Dive Team for our county was part of "September Saturdays", a program here each year that features public safety folks...law enforcement, fire fighters, animal control, etc.

We are tasked under FEMA...they select us for certain missions...we do water and land, search, rescue, recovery. We are tasked most for water related missions but they do call us for land searches for missing folks...elderly folks that wander off, children that go missing, etc.

We sometimes work water safety for triathlons (you would be surprised at the number of people that start the swimming leg of a 200 yard swim in a murky State Park lake and learn that they cannot actually swim that far.:lol: We try to get them before we have to switch into recovery mode.)

We are tasked for recoveries for drownings, rescue during floods / swift water, vehicle recoveries (last year we got to recover a brand new $80,000 BMW that Mr. Cool and Debonair lost control of at about 80 mph on a tight curve...he just squeezed between a guard rail end and an 8 foot high bank and skipped the car about 50 yards across the lake (at 2AM) until it sank. He managed to swim to shore OK).

A few months ago we recovered a .45 Glock that had been used to (attempt to) murder two attorneys in Atlanta and then the shooter suicided with the weapon. Police were able to get the deceased out of the small cemetery lake where he shot himself but needed help finding the weapon.

So, in the water we are usually looking for people, evidence or cars (cars are often dumped after joy rides after being stolen).

Our Dive Team received about 2 months ago a new trailer courtesy of our local EMA director pushing hard for grant money. We are a volunteer group so we had been doing everything in private vehicles. We now have a trailer to carry a lot of the gear...more importantly, we now have a dry, secure, out of the weather place to suit up, dress down, etc. which we can take to a dive site.

So this is the first year we have set up to display as part of Sept. Saturday. Here are some picts of the trailer and some of the folks that were intrigued with the gear and mission of the team. The first four pictures are last week, getting the trailer ready to show...the Red Power Ranger was loaned to us, courtesy of my grandson, Hayden. All the kids today [and lots of the adults were captivated with the Ranger...I thought every house had its own Power Ranger...right? :D ]

Attachments

• PowerRanger reszd1.jpg
    PowerRanger reszd1.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 46
  • PowerRanger reszd4.jpg
    PowerRanger reszd4.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 44
  • PowerRanger reszd12.jpg
    PowerRanger reszd12.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 46
  • PowerRanger reszd17.jpg
    PowerRanger reszd17.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Sept Saturday reszd1.jpg
    Sept Saturday reszd1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 44
  • Sept Saturday reszd2.jpg
    Sept Saturday reszd2.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Sept Saturday reszd5.jpg
    Sept Saturday reszd5.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Sept Saturday reszd6.jpg
    Sept Saturday reszd6.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Sept Saturday reszd10.jpg
    Sept Saturday reszd10.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Sept Saturday reszd12.jpg
    Sept Saturday reszd12.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Sept Saturday reszd15.jpg
    Sept Saturday reszd15.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Sept Saturday reszd18.jpg
    Sept Saturday reszd18.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Sept Saturday reszd22.jpg
    Sept Saturday reszd22.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 43
Here is that new BMW that took a bath:

Attachments

• bmw reszd1.jpg
    bmw reszd1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 44
  • bmw reszd2.jpg
    bmw reszd2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 44
  • bmw reszd3.jpg
    bmw reszd3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 45
Thats awesome Gary. It must take a huge amount of time to maintain your certs and proficiency as a volunteer diver and SAR tech.

Cool program too. I feel it is very important to let the public know what you do. Down to the nitty gritty.

We go into budget and procurement too. If we don't give them the right information, they take the bad info and run with it.

I was thinking it would be a little 5x8 trailer while reading your post.

Wow, they fixed you up right with that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valuable work you're doing there Gary, more power to your elbow.
Today, usual Sunday, tinkering in the workshop, walk the dog with the wife. Lie on the sofa listening to the radio.
Roast chicken with a drop of wine later. Tv then early night.

Like people who moved to France from the UK.
There's a kind of snobbery amongst ex pats here. The more "integrated" you are the more you look down on the less Francophile sorts. I do plenty of work for the Brits here and they're often trying to tell you of their French friends and all the "local" stuff they do in order to get the full experience.
I speak the language, pay my taxes, every thing else is optional.

Interesting. My wife has had to make the transition to American cuisine. She still cooks the odd Kiwi favorite, but she says it is not the same. I guess because the ingredients look similar, but just dont taste the same.

Before you laugh and say that McDonalds tastes the same everywhere, we cook at home 95 percent of the time. But instead of Pies, roasts, and fish and chips only, we cook Italian, Mexican, Asian, just about anything. I am always amazed at how limited a diet some people eat.

Although fish and chips at a pub at the beach on the South Island is a wonderful thing.

We did French at school, then when we came here I took lessons and tried hard. I'm ok, good enough to discuss work with clients, banks etc. I'll never be completely fluent, I was over 40 when we came and old brains don't pick stuff up quickly.
Writing is hard, but I muddle through.

Thats a cool way to look at it Mick. Might as well do what makes you happy, rather be preoccupied with trying to fit in. Fitting in might never happen. My wife is always going to be a New Zealander living in the States. I have never tried to force her into being an American. Some changes come with time though.

I would like to try mouse cadet wine. I like wine, but have not had good luck with whites. I cant really taste them.

That is for sure, Mick.
My Swiss wife is 58 and having a hell of a time with the weird assortment of throaty sounds that pass for a language up here.

Jim, for someone's sake don't tell your wife this, but of all the countries where I have worked and lived ( Which is quite a few) only Norway ranks higher than New Zealand on the bad cooking scale.
Dead sheep and potatoes. Frig, it is even worse than what they make in Denmark.

Do you ever think in French?

Good question, when I'm actually talking at length in French I guess I'm thinking and talking in it. You can't just translate in your head all the time.
The guy that works for me is Dutch but speaks fluent French, Dutch and German. His English is not as good as he thinks however, we have a running joke every time he refers to an object with a gender, i.e. When I say "have you hitched up the trailer?" He'll say "yes, I attached him earlier" I will tell him "if it hasn't got genitals it's an it"
Oh how we do laugh!

That is for sure, Mick.
My Swiss wife is 58 and having a hell of a time with the weird assortment of throaty sounds that pass for a language up here.

Jim, for someone's sake don't tell your wife this, but of all the countries where I have worked and lived ( Which is quite a few) only Norway ranks higher than New Zealand on the bad cooking scale.
Dead sheep and potatoes. Frig, it is even worse than what they make in Denmark.

Cuba, worst food ever!

Got a chance to visit in person with Rich (treebilly) and his wife today; nice folks. Fairly short visit, as they had a long drive back home yet, but I enjoyed it much. Always cool to meet someone from the TH in person. :)

Thats cool Dave. I would love to meet some TreeHousers someday. If'n for any reason youse guys are traveling the Hi-Line, I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

Of my numerous faults, my fear of wasps and bees has to be the silliest. My wife has to kill them. I decided to take matters into my own hands and Tempo the doors and window sills. I opened up the door in our bedroom and there was like 50 wasps in there. I had to shut the door and walk away. I went outside and sprayed instead.

I am about as worthless as tit meat today. Finished combining yesterday, kinda taking the day off. Might go fishing later.

Back