How'd it go today?

Finished off a three day job in two days, so happy about that.

From the top of a decent size Douglas there was a nice view so I got the iPhone out and took a blatant copy of one of the Regmeister's

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 50
Nice rip off pic.
Today didn't start out so well. Tried to be nice and save a honey bee nest. Needless to say they lit me up. Lots of pain and swelling. Might be taking a ride to the hospital

Jaysus, Rich. Any difficulty breathing? Best not take a chance.

Well, back to the big town. Two pieces of 3 inch box iron .250 wall. 26 and seven eighths long.

I can cut something crooked and to the improper lenght. Thats why I hired it cut. By the pros. Negative. They got one to 26 and a half and the other 27, but so crooked it is 26 and a half on the other side.

My brother's place, yesterday, he's had the walnut to the left grow over his roof, almost halfway to the peak and some rubbing on a second floor window. I've been telling him for years, let's get it cut back. Well, finally I set yesterday up. SRT line over a suitable limb above the work area, and over the top, pretty much. Held after a few bounces broke some smaller branches, got down to a springy limb, didn't feel like bouncing around and getting my line sucked back during limb walks. Reset the line, did a few weaves through the canopy got on to some solid crotches, and to a basal tie, nearly used all 150ft. All the while my brother was complaining that it was too much work for me (he's 54). Rope walk up in no time, supposed to have my niece help (in her early 20's) but she was busy inside. Plan was to set a rigging point a bit higher, and have limbs swing away and lowered. My brother is dealing with some physical problems, so doing it alone wasn't a good idea. So I pulled myself out to nearly the tips, cut small and chucked. One larger cut which my brother was supposed to be pulling, well, wasn't pulled enough and rested on the roof, pulled off no problem, no damages. 45 minutes, with plenty of rest up in the canopy, everything was cleared. Total, at a relaxed pace, 2.5 hours with picking corn and chatting. All done for free of course, I was a bit sweaty, no big deal.

So he tells me next year he'll probably rent a lift to cut some other branches off he wants down.....
:?

IMG_20150820_154720.jpg

:lol: Man, Raj, I get that all the time. You just slam some pig right into a tight little space and the homeowner is like, "Say.... are you good enough for them to let you work out of the bucket truck yet?"

Grendel: Well done man! Beowulf went home limping today.

Rich! Dang, brother! The bigness of your heart is WAAAYYY more than making up for the smallness of your brains. Good try man. Hope all's well! Benadryl?? Let us know how the swelling goes.

Cory: Clean edge? What the... :? What the heck you talkin bout brotha? :|: :drink: I'm pretty sure I've never heard about whatever you might be talking about. Do tell...

Windfallen Port Orford Cedar today. House is already smashed, so even an inbred can get er'...:|:

unnamed-45.jpg unnamed-46.jpg unnamed-47.jpg unnamed-48.jpg

:lol: Man, Raj, I get that all the time. You just slam some pig right into a tight little space and the homeowner is like, "Say.... are you good enough for them to let you work out of the bucket truck yet?"]

:lol: my brother was worried about access to the canopy, at one point I was looking down at behind the chimney.... ummmm...access?

No shortness of breath no chest pains. Doped up on Benadryl pretty quick. Our mechanic ( also local fire chief) just happened to stop out to put a part on the stump grinder. He pulled four stingers outta the back of my head. Told me the stuff to look out for. Arm is still puffed up pretty good. Home owner came home late in the day and walked right up to it. He was pulling what was left of the damaged hive apart looking for the queen. Crazy sob. I think I'm gonna drink a beer and relax tonight.

I guess I just pissed them off. I stayed calm for the first dozen or so. After they hit me in the back of the head I flipped out. Buckets move damn slow in those situations

Finished off a three day job in two days, so happy about that.

From the top of a decent size Douglas there was a nice view so I got the iPhone out and took a blatant copy of one of the Regmeister's

HA!!! Your diagonal even slopes the right way! :lol:

Hey Mick... are those pigs indigenous or introduced over there? Do they get pitch blisters in the wee tops as here? Nice hinge mate... the saw would look better if it were a darker color orange. :P

Been working on this big gum tree...utilized a vertical speed line for the first time, to get the branches down away from the fence, worked pretty good apart from having to go down and push them out of the lower branches a few times.

All I have left is the tippy top to come out...that's where my TIP has been for the last couple days...will probably put a pull line in it and fell it, has borer holes and a cavity in it. Plenty of diameter left for my flyweight though, felt ok using it as my TIP.

In some places it looks a bit hacked...but the branches were either riddled with borers or the possums and cockatoos had been having a snack up there for years. This was before yesterday's work was done, got rid of all the deadwood and reduced the height a bit.

For once a sensible HO, renovating a cottage on the property and thought she'd better get the tree seen to at the same time.

Attachments

• DSC00597.JPG
    DSC00597.JPG
    547.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00598.JPG
    DSC00598.JPG
    420.4 KB · Views: 47
My oldest son (Trevier) past his segment one drivers training today. And then he got to learn how to drive a truck home with blown brake lines lol he'll be all kinds of prepared for the road at this rate

Wow Fiona... Are you already up and running after surgery?? Very cool tree... That pig's gonna be glorious. Very nice shots... that place is beautiful... thanks!

Great pic, Mick

Jed, I'm sure you know this, I just wasn't describing correctly. Say you have a dirty pc of wood to cut, say 90% of the circumference is dirty, you start the cut with a pulling chain with the nose of bar in the clean 10% of the log, then, keeping the nose buried, the saw teeth only hit clean wood, when they encounter dirt it is at the end of their pass thru the log, they hit dirt and blow it out into space with the chips. If the teeth hit dirt last, instead of first which would drag the dirt thru the cut and dull the teeth instantly, you can cut all day in dirty conditions and still be basically razor sharp at end of day. There are different ways to do the cut, with a pushing chain for example, but the idea remanins the same, don't drag dirt thru the kerf. I'm sure you know this already but hey maybe somebody else can get something from this.

Great pic, Mick

Jed, I'm sure you know this, I just wasn't describing correctly. Say you have a dirty pc of wood to cut, say 90% of the circumference is dirty, you start the cut with a pulling chain with the nose of bar in the clean 10% of the log, then, keeping the nose buried, the saw teeth only hit clean wood, when they encounter dirt it is at the end of their pass thru the log, they hit dirt and blow it out into space with the chips. If the teeth hit dirt last, instead of first which would drag the dirt thru the cut and dull the teeth instantly, you can cut all day in dirty conditions and still be basically razor sharp at end of day. There are different ways to do the cut, with a pushing chain for example, but the idea remanins the same, don't drag dirt thru the kerf. I'm sure you know this already but hey maybe somebody else can get something from this.

Killer info. Been running a saw for a bit, but never thought of that kinda concept. Thank you very much.

Bermy, Fiona from what I gather. Amazing work. If you don't mind me asking, where is that located?

If you wouldn't have said "gum tree", I wouldn't have even known the species. The amount of regional variance in tree work can be pretty wild. I wouldn't know shit walking up to that tree.

Thanks for sharing.

Talking about cutting dirty wood, I mean real dirty if for some reason with mud or whatever, what is going to dull your saw quickly, I saw a cool solution the other day. We had to cut some low stumps and roots that were dug up. A guy brought a fairly small jack hammer, one of those hand held ones, not the big ones you see used to break up concrete, and powered it by a portable generator. He put on a fairly wide chisel type cutter on the end and it worked super well to shear off bark and dirt before sticking a saw in there. Worked quickly. It was something new to me to get filed in my brain. Much easier than hacking off bark by hand with a machete type tool, which I have done a time or two as well.

I put an old beat up bar and chain and dig it up.
So I have 4 levels of bar and chain.
1 pruning removal wood ccutter
2 near the end, but stretched and short tooth
3 stump cutters
4 diggers

Back