How'd it go today?

Parts came in for the 550. We started on it around six tonight and drove her out of the shop at 10. Just in time for a full Saturday. Supposed to be mid seventies tomorrow so I'm hoping to knock out a bunch of little jobs to get them out of the way. Mechanic won't let me pay him either. He wants about two hours of trimming done. That's it! Well and a thirty pack of Busch.

I stuck my knee into a running chain today.
Stupid, I know, but then I didn't exactly do it on purpose.
I was taking down a birch tree and as I was cutting a not so thick branch, my spur slipped and I swung into the chain on the part of the bar sticking through the branch.
Got me right under the right kneecap and would have severed the big tendon holding quadriceps if I hadn't worn saw pants.
Now it just cost me a pair of pants.

Just thought I would post it as a reminder that shit happens.

Sort of how I am feeling about pines right now bro.
Noticed a 1/2 dead canyon oak tat was not dead a month ago on a place we have been removing pine and cedar. Informed the widow that broke down in tears. Ahhh the joys of being the messenger. I am not a tree slayer, I am an undertaker.
Yep already dead = undertaker. I can't remember the last tree I pruned on, I miss pruning a nice live tree.
Justin: :rockon:
Mick: Okay, that's a valid gripe.
Rajan/Stephen: Cry me a river boys... At least you guys aren't pruning some stupid hedge like we often get stuck doing up here.

Fun Schoolmarm Red Cedar today, and a little Firpig. Some okay shots. Tried to get the Cedar top flying out, but that shot sucked...
I don't even offer pruning hedges as a service anymore. Nice hinge BTW!

I stuck my knee into a running chain today.
Stupid, I know, but then I didn't exactly do it on purpose.
I was taking down a birch tree and as I was cutting a not so thick branch, my spur slipped and I swung into the chain on the part of the bar sticking through the branch.
Got me right under the right kneecap and would have severed the big tendon holding quadriceps if I hadn't worn saw pants.
Now it just cost me a pair of pants.

Just thought I would post it as a reminder that shit happens.
Glad you're okay Stig. Stuff happens so fast some times. I think often about gaffing out while running the saw, could be a bad deal. I just about bathed in poison ivy juice yesterday, took down 7 pines, 3 of which were wrapped up like a mummy, some of the vines 2 or 3 inches with nice ripe berries. I washed off several times but obviously not enough, I'm feeling it this morning, it even went through my shirt.

Stig sure glad it wasn't worse!

Working so much hardly have time to post. Always seems good for my lil biz but man oh man 7 o'clock starts and generally done at 8:30pm, after the two estimates a day I've been doing.
My chain brake handle has been my only issue with the 540 short of learning it's temperment. I.E idle down before shut off, no throttle at start.
Taking the day to myself kayak calling!

Ohhh... that's messed-up Ray.

Stig: Thanks for posting that. I's awesome that the pants worked.

Rajan: Must be nice. (green smilie).

Ray: Did you see that Dawn Dish Soap vid someone posted on here (as opposed to Technu). Pretty impressive guy doing the science.

If I was the manufacturer I'd be saying that, too.

Kinda like how a Gibs ascender should be replaced every two years.

Glad that it worked out ok Stig. I severed my biracial artery years ago baffling out

Not quite that simple Butch. They are made of hundreds of fine treads, which catch the chain & snag it. So after "use" they are never going to provide the same protection again.
I'm not talking about a little insignificant cut though

Ohhh... that's messed-up Ray. Did you see that Dawn Dish Soap vid someone posted on here (as opposed to Technu). Pretty impressive guy doing the science.
Yes I did Jed but I didn't have any with me. I rinsed several times with a water hose, but obviously didn't get it all. I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad but it's not looking good so far.

Ray, an important bit is abrasion/ exfoliation. A wash cloth/ rag/ shirt.

If you have canola oil, you can probably use it, to a degree. Canola oil lifting/ mixing with the urishrol (sp) oil. I'd rather ride home in the truck with canola oil on me, than not at all. We have poison oak here, coastally.

Climbed a cool, biggish ash at D's summer camp playground at a different Coop preschool. Some good sized dead wood over the play ground. Chipped brush from their failed tree.

Going to load out some firewood logs from D's preschool root disease project. Sent out my first load of 40's. I was surprised at the economy of it. $175 trucking holdout, about 12 miles from the log yard by highway, largely. Check will go out next Friday. First payday on this job, which started in April.

Money was really tight for a couple weeks. Now a bunch will be coming in, HOA payment, log sale payment, just knocked out a 2 full day job, 10 trees removed.

I'm going to lunch!

I'd stuff the fabric back inside and sew it up.

Be kinda hard to get all that nylon thread out of the clutch on the saw, put it back in order and sew a rip under the knee in a way that would hold up.

Here is how it works, Butch: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fBMIGqze-vQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sean: Well done Sir! That's gotta feel good.

Went all the way to Bainbridge Island (on the ferry in the chiptruck) just to take this little Norway off the roof. Forest fires in eastern WA really mucking up the scenery around here. Poor bastards! The air outside our house in Snoqualmie smells exactly like hot-chocolate right now.

unnamed-59.jpg unnamed-58.jpg unnamed-62.jpg unnamed-61.jpg unnamed-60.jpg

Back