How'd it go today?

Glad to hear the cut proofs did their job, Stig. Worth every penny they cost up front, and absolutely no need to try to milk anything else out of them, as much as cheapo Butch may try to do so :).

I have repaired saw chaps, once...so I'm not immune to Butch's point of view. Snagged a one inch long slice in the nylon outer cover as I walked with a still chain, and stumbled a bit, on a single razor sharp tooth. Glued a patch of similar nylon over the cut with Shoe Goo, worked a charm...but pulling the fibers in a strong cut?? No way I'd not go full replacement.

And has been observed, continuing to use dinged and damaged PPE of any sort is a foolish way to save a few bucks.

Wow Stig! If it can happen to you...
any pics of the pants after the deed was done?

Wow Stig! If it can happen to you...
any pics of the pants after the deed was done?

It can happen to anybody, Fi.
That was pretty much my point.
Twice in 40 years have they saved my bacon. The first time would most likely have cost me a leg or my life.
I fell across a saw in such a way that my fingers were locked on the throttle by a branch, so it was running full out.
The bar ended up across my left thigh, but the chain was stopped before it made it through.
I had to sit down and get my nerves under control for quite a while after that one, before I was able to go on.

The pants aren't worth fotographing, since I pulled all the loose material out of the cut in order to be able to go on working.
So all you see is the cut.

Make sure to have gotten all of the pant material out of the saw. The crap's like hip chain, and no good for tips or in around the sprocket/crank.

Glad to hear you got off unscathed.

Glad to hear you're ok Stig. I wish the guys I work with would join and read stuff like this. When someone of your experience has an accident it proves that it can happen to anyone.

Ground help backed out of final stage of an ash removal booked for tomorrow, tough spot, busy road and busy sidewalk somewhat high profile area, have 4 jobs from the time I've spent there. Odd sense of ease working on the dying ash, must be the emergency entrance to a hospital is right across the road.

The first time would most likely have cost me a leg or my life.
I fell across a saw in such a way that my fingers were locked on the throttle by a branch, so it was running full out.
The bar ended up across my left thigh, but the chain was stopped before it made it through.
I had to sit down and get my nerves under control for quite a while after that one, before I was able to go on.

SCARY story!! Glad this time wasn't as bad, Stig. And glad you had the pants on!

I got myself in the classic spot--high on the left thigh--when I took my right hand off in a run-down and let the bar swing around too far. Just nicked the Cordura for about an inch and never made it into the inner fibers, but it might have been ugly in a pair of Carhartts... Sobered me right up!

Backed out? Fire their silly asses!

The help is the elderly HO's son who got me the job, he had a free afternoon but it got filled with his work, too bad, he really hustled dragging brush, sweeping off the road and sidewalk, pedestrian control, timing the traffic and running the rigging lines, all at the same time! ;)

No big deal, I usually double book jobs, I'll have one I need ground help and have another I can do solo.

Little windy yesterday. . .

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OCcyHQXjkUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8) cheers

Crappy day today, but I have only myself to blame.

A couple of months ago we got an order for beech logs to fill a container going to China.
Some of you may remember, that was the job where I hit a deer with a tree.

Since we were hard pressed for time, we only bucked those tops that were to be covered by others, and left the rest " To be bucked later"

Well, later never arrived. Richard was supposed to do it while I had my abbreviated vacation, but got too busy ( He had to drop the last week of vacation as well) and then we simply forgot.

So yesterday I had a call from the forwarder driver, asking why the Hell those weren't bucked, since he was there to bring them out.

So today I went out and bucked them all. In pouring day long rain.
In the two months, they had been overgrown by Bracken ferns, so I had to kick my way down to the wood.
Working all day, trying to keep ahead of the forwarder in the rain, logs slick as greased pigs. How people do this without caulks is beyond me..
I HATE having a huge piece of machinery working right behind me, makes me paranoid.

Anyway, I got it done.
Had a shower and am feeling somewhat human again.:)

Caulks/ Corks make an enormous difference in slick conditions. I've only worn mine a tiny bit. What a difference, in the right setting.

Moving a bit more today. Going for a park/ playground trip first. Would be great to get Dahlia to nap while I get settled in the new house. Short on luck there, I'll bet.

She will have new things to do. The yard and property is gated (and locked), which is good. Here we had a fenced yard, but not the property. If I wanted to putz about doing things, or get some work done at/ on the rigs/ equipment, I have to go outside the yard...not so easy with a 3.5 y.o. tagging along, with a road nearby, quiet as it may be.

Life moves on. It will move forward, too.

Friends with 4 y.o. volunteered to help me move later today, and check out the new house and animals, and have a playdate. I'm materially, relatively lightweight, all things considered. Chip truck will be the u-haul for work stuff.

Thanks.

Back