How'd it go today?

Spellfeller, it was a lot of fun, fo sho. I was a bit fried today but did a lil more to beat the today's heat. You ever try SUP?

Merle, I just learned about Mirage drive, have watched it on vid, looks pretty clever and apparently hugely effective, have you tried it?

Nice long paddle Cory. We were out all day today, lots of paddling and swimming. Had to pretty much drag my waterlogged kid out at the end of the day/evening. I felt bad and kept putting off leaving, I remember being her age and often swimming until dark.

Ya Merle do you have a Hobie? That mirage drive does look sweet. As far as I can tell Hobies are the top tier for kayak fishing. Both of our yaks are sit on tops and mine has a pretty kick ass seat with lots of adjustments. I like being able to stretch out or chill and hang my legs over the side.

Wife, kid and myself are beat. A damn near perfect day.

Woke up this morning with the itch to climb some trees, don't know why, so I climbed the biggest Siberian elm I could find and practiced my traversing and limb walking (crawling ) it was fun. Didn't accomplish anything, no rush, and no worries about cutting anything, might do if more often

Working this beast today
Mike is up there setting a block.

Attachments

• tmp_27889-IMG_20150817_0848479201687960271.jpg
    tmp_27889-IMG_20150817_0848479201687960271.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 49
  • tmp_27889-IMG_20150817_0849138371236443819.jpg
    tmp_27889-IMG_20150817_0849138371236443819.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 49
I love kayaks, but the seating position is torture to me. I went out on a night trip in Ireland, we were only out for about three hours but I could barely move afterwards, my lower back just doesn't like it.

I get it from the pike position of my body. I attribute a lot to muscle tension. Do you/ did you have an injury?

SUP is a great alternative, for leisurely jaunts.

It could be. I prefer not.
Horrible terrain. The park had a bunch taken down and the debris was everywhere making it trecherous to walk about. Other side drops off into a gully. We lowered the low limbs and ant trailed them out. almost 100 feet to a bank to be thrown down to a parking lot. Mind you, there was all that debris and several deep furrows cut for erosion.
We then lined the higher limbs down to the edge where we could throw them into the parking lot behind the chipper. Saved us big time in 102* F.
Less mess too. We have to remove all the limbs and debris separate form what the county did.
The whole damn tree could have been felled up hill had the county gave us permission. But. It would have also had to wait until winter after they burn all their slash that covers that hill side. several of those trees (like 20) were over 120-150 feet tall and 48 DBH. This one rivals those. Approx 140 feet and 48 DBH.

Here is looking up at the landing we were able to line it to. 200 feet of line BTW fro where it was anchored in the tree to the landing...and the gulley...

Attachments

• tmp_10178-IMG_20150817_1247549631215832201.jpg
    tmp_10178-IMG_20150817_1247549631215832201.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 33
  • tmp_10178-IMG_20150817_124447602-1674778031.jpg
    tmp_10178-IMG_20150817_124447602-1674778031.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 31
73 and dropping now, and a little less humid. When the sun goes down I start doing things around home. Sorted some logs at the mill, ready to saw them tomorrow, if I have the energy after work.

Stephen, dumb question: the land in those pics, is it extremely fire prone as it is right now, like if you dropped a match in it would 10k acres get burned up or is that area not super dry? In other words, if a fire started there would it be as bad as the other areas in Cali that are burning now in the extreme?

What is the cure for that?

RICE
Rest
Ice
Compression- An Ace bandage will do a lot to resist swelling.
Elevation

NSAIDS, Arnica

Massage

Acupuncture. I had it two years ago. It helped fast. I could see the difference in half an hour of treatment, with some moxa and electro-stimulation.

If more fluid, maybe draining with a hypodermic kneedle. My dad had to check in to the hospital once for it.

It can be a sign of joint damage, partial tear/ tear. Too much torque. Common in soccer and basketball.

I was doing spurless pruning on conifers, and was standing against the trunk somewhat, with an overhead TIP, for several hours. A removal after than which was not a big deal, but some spur time, again, mostly with an overhead TIP, and F-load of ivy.

Stephen, dumb question: the land in those pics, is it extremely fire prone as it is right now, like if you dropped a match in it would 10k acres get burned up or is that area not super dry? In other words, if a fire started there would it be as bad as the other areas in Cali that are burning now in the extreme?
Yes. And we had fire extinguishers up top. I had a saw station so as not to put a hot saw in grass or needles.we are liable should we start one. No ciggys except on roads etc. Bare dirt for things with engines.

By fire extinguishers up top, how far away. I would keep them at the work site. Time up the hill, and back down, you may need a lot more than a couple. In Nevada and Tahoe CA, we had them with our saw bags (spare parts, chains, files) to keep with us during fuel reduction work.

Two extinguishers at the bottom of the tree and the zip line landing (up top the hill) where CS was used. One down in truck, one at chipper. Fire fighting tools up top.... Truck chipper and third station saw was on asphalt and gravel.. No real threat there.
4 guys prepared is pretty darn good with the proper tools. And diligence. Prevention first.

Back