How'd it go today?

Went out to the county project today. Knew it was gonna be ugly when I didn't get flaggers this morning. Wasted hours moving mats around so we could park in the ROW. Called it at 3:30. Said to hell with moving them anymore today. Getting traffic control tomorrow. It was 67 F and sunny when we clocked out. It looked like an old road runner cartoon when the guys left. Nothing but a cloud of dust. Two of them were on their way to get the mopeds out. Although it kinda sucked, it was a beautiful day

Today went well. More beetle kill. I have about 3 days of it on this one.
Took out 6, limbed, topped, felled and bucked. Trying to not beat up surrounding trees and targets.
Took a load home. Mostly move wood on the third day thinking.
Wraptor cam in handy. Set my line from each tree I went up into the next one.
Fodder.

Attachments

• 20150316_103537ed.jpg
    20150316_103537ed.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20150316_154130ed.jpg
    20150316_154130ed.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20150316_160247ed.jpg
    20150316_160247ed.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 49
Rant, went to clients job after being locked out last week (she claims she was home) we waited 45min. Today I told her I wanted a extra 25 to cover last week's trip. She went off, the whole world is against me. Your so unprofessional blah blah blah. So unprofessional we call you the night before to reconfirm:mad:
Dispite all this I go to go over what was discussed way back in Nov. And she starts pointing to things not discussed the scope of the job was one branch on a live oak over the house rubbing And a dead cherry on the fenceline. So again I told her I would have to add to the price for the additional work. Suffice to say I bent over backwards with this client (she lost her husband when first scheduled) then a dog, then a horse last week the day we had showed up. I have taken a good many verbal lashings but not today when she said she would not pay for my trip out last week. OK guys load up. Still pissed. And a first in a long time of satisfied customers goes bad.
Twice prior I had come to her rescue once for shade cloth to save her chickens from being picked of by the Hawks and hammer drilling holes in Crete for a canopy for the wake. Both done out of the kindness of my heart as was the low price for the tree work already quoted.
End rant thanks

Joel, you've a right to some bitter feelings. She is going to miss your kindness, whenever she may get around to thinking about it. Always amazes when peopler so inept at doing what is best for themselves.

Suux when it happens Joel. We have had a couple people/clients that became unmanageable in their latter years.Age and circumstance often causes this. Sounds like you did all you could.

only 100 Paul :lol:

Nice pics, CV. With the pine beetle kill, are some pines resistant to the beetles so you find them growing fine right next to pines that were killed, or will all the pines get it eventually?

Most times, any tree nearest the dead is soon to be. Once you eliminate some of the competition, some survive. Thinning and removing/burning is key. It really is who wins the fight Cory. They all have beetle(s). More than one attacking the trees.
FWIW... We are so dry out here, our reservoirs only have maybe one year of water in them. That's it.
What ever tree has the best water source and better soils with no competition has a chance of survival.
40 percent mortality is a conservative estimate.

Spring time /new tree season around the corner even though it's -13F this morning.:wav:
Have been feeling spring fever lately and was just out in the backyard and pulled the equipment trailer up to the garage before the frost comes out of the ground.

First time my trailer had to spend the winter outdoors since I built it 13 years ago and moving to our new place last summer. Will have a small shop built for it and the gear this fall.
Had a great 4 month winter off . Did lots of renovations, soaked some sun up in P.V. Mexico and had a great chainsaw competition end of February at the Trappers' Festival.
At the festival even though there was a brisk NW wind with windchill temps of -55 C [-67F below] How's that you softies?:D
I still had over 30 men and women competitors enter. A trapper from Moose Lake took 1st in the men's and a 25 yr school teacher who was 5 months pregnant took the women's 2nd year in a row.
And the little Husqvarna 550XP's ran perfect the whole competiton.

20150317_095355.jpg 20150317_100321.jpg

Nice day here.
Logging season is about to end.
Another two weeks or so.
I was killing beech trees today and thinking about how fast one always get after logging a full season. Tecnique honed to perfection and body, too.
Then the season ends and next year I get sore as shit when we start up again.
Anyway, I got a nice amount of wood on the ground today.

You guys got alot of snow out east. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland just got another big blast.
We don get that here in the interior plains. But what snow falls here over the winter stays till spring
It's as hard as concrete right now.

Suffice to say I bent over backwards with this client (she lost her husband when first scheduled) then a dog, then a horse last week the day we had showed up. I have taken a good many verbal lashings but not today when she said she would not pay for my trip out last week. OK guys load up. Still pissed. And a first in a long time of satisfied customers goes bad.Twice prior I had come to her rescue once for shade cloth to save her chickens from being picked of by the Hawks and hammer drilling holes in Crete for a canopy for the wake. Both done out of the kindness of my heart as was the low price for the tree work already quoted.
End rant thanks
Tough situation for both of you Joel. If she called you back and said she'd pay you what you want, would you go? I know I've had to wash my hands of a few customers after being burned.

Back