How'd it go today?

Cory, the stretch we are working on is surrounded on both accessible sides with streams. The permits to lay swamp mats and cross either entrance with a feller across the streams hasn't come through yet and those spans MUST be cut before the last day of march. Ill be cutting spans like this all month.

You freakin lucky bastid. Just lay em down and go to the next one, no limbing or bucking?

A boat load of pics are in order...

Cory, the stretch we are working on is surrounded on both accessible sides with streams. The permits to lay swamp mats and cross either entrance with a feller across the streams hasn't come through yet and those spans MUST be cut before the last day of march. Ill be cutting spans like this all month.

Bat trees I'm guessing. I'm in the same deal. Unlimited OT till the end of the month. My crew is working in the city though so we gotta clean up. We got two other crews out doing the ROW's. What bothers me about it is they won't give us a permit till the last day of February. Really makes things pressing to get it done

Nice to hear your back is feeling better Chris :)

Felt like crap today.. it decided to rain while I was on my way out. Cabled a Japanese maple over a walk to give a client some head room. Rain stopped when I finished, go figure. Picked up feed while I was down in cattle country and headed back up the mountains.
Yesterday a wheel had come off my 14 foot trailer on my third trip hauling logs out of an account we removed some beetle kill from. It was on the return trip, so all I had on it was the Dingo. Dropped the trailer and went searching for the wheel. Found it on the dirt road we had to go down from the highway. Could have been VERY bad. Just a stripped bolt, but no matter. So I had to find one and go back today to finish the last load and put the wheel back on. All fixed. Thank goodness.
20150310_142219.jpg 20150310_112414ed.jpg
I think I will be needing Fred's truck soon :lol:

Yes, Wife was in hospital. they gave her a shot and a prescription. 2nd time in a month I've had to pick her up from the hospital for this. Both times at about 4am. I hope they get it figured out too.

visitors were from next door (sisters place)...I had to referee an argument and calm down my unhappy/pissed off/lost nephew.

phone rang pretty constantly for all kinds of goofy stuff. Only real work call was a job cancellation:|:

hmm...seem to have overslept a bit this morning:lol:

Hope things get better for your wife Dave.

I renewed my medical registration card today with a new change of address and am having second thoughts about filling out the organ donor card attached to it.
Always had it filled out over the years but has anybody thought about if you got seriously hurt near death and the docs see you have filled out the donor card.......they could just think "hey the guys 57 he will donate his organs , how much effort should we put into saving him?"

Maybe it's just me but the older I get my survival instincts seem to kick it up a notch.

Willard, early harvesting was my first thought the first time I was asked to consider a Donor card.

Woke up with pretty heavy headache this am...muddled through went shopping, did laundry, cooked up enough food ahead for the next week, packed clothes & groceries, loaded truck for trip up North...head is still pounding...I'm about ready to give in and take a pill.

Stumper teeth should be all sharpened tomorrow so I hope to pick them up in the morning on my way up to the job. Supposed to be 3-400 left to do yet. Snow should be down enough to start finding them again...We'll see.

Good day doing estimates and errands, picked up another batch of used saws, a pair of 038 mag2, a 028av and 034av.
Got the carb kit and new fuel lines in on a 08s fun in a nostalgic way suprised at how well it pulled a 42in oak:cool:

I had a good week. My crew blew out most of our bat trees and are waiting on the city of Cleveland to get the permits to us for the last ten. Starting a county project while we're waiting. Going in tomorrow to do a tool inventory and get stuff ordered for when everyone gets called back to work. It's going to be raining anyhow.
Interviewed a climber today that I've been hearing good things about for a few years from other climbers in my area. He said the same about me and was happy to finally get to meet me. It wasn't much of an interview, more like a couple of guys hanging out swapping stories. The boss got my approval of him, now I hope they can reach an agreement.

Nice. Do you have much snow on the ground there?

Actually most of the snow is melted off from the rain. Only the piles and more protected areas are left. It's good to see grass again but everything is saturated now. To wet even to use mats in most areas.
We went through all the trucks today. The boss was shocked and impressed that my crew had everything that was issued the year before except one rake which got broke last week. The other crews didn't lose or destroy as much he thought either.
Talked to him about getting my ISA cert and he actually agrees and wants to work on everyone getting it. I think that little suggestion paper he asked us to do really got him thinking hard about things.

Still resting up again. Yup... ER again. They almost admitted me this time for the asthma attack.
This is going to be a brutal year.
Guess I will be wearing a mask climbing trees. Finally was able to get some maintenance meds in me. Looking into more options. Have not been this bad in years, All this climate change and such is bad ju ju

S'funny because after a certain age you wonder if any injury/illness could mean the end of your working life.
A silly broken ankle, dislocated shoulder or like Cursedvoice a condition that can affect your work. (Good luck with that Btw)
I'm a very cautious man around the house/garden avoiding daft injuries, I'm an idiot in the tree mind, but at least I'm paid for that!

Had a most interesting couple of days.
We did some ash tree graft stock harvesting for the University of Copenhagen last year and the year before.
They are trying to save the ash trees by finding resistant trees and making a seed plantation from graft stock.

Now the biggest private forestry management company in the country decided to give it a try as well. BIG bucks to be made by selling resistant ash trees after the blight has killed all the others.
Apparently the climbers they hired weren't up for the task, and things were going way too slow.
So they contacted the university to find out how they'd done it.
My contact there called me and said he'd given them my number and that they were seriously running out of time, with spring arriving, so I could probably just name my price.
So when they called and asked for help, I told them I'd have to rescedule a lot of jobs and that that would cost them.
No problem.
I also asked a high hourly rate.
No problem.
So Richard and I went out and climbed ash trees for 2 days, making good money, while seeing some pretty out of the way forests.
Now they want us to go to Bornholm, a rocky island in the Baltic, to harvest from selected trees.
They offered to pay for travel, a place to stay , everything.
This will be like going on a paid vacation, almost.
We asked for 3 days to complete the job and figure we can work long days and finish in two, then have a paid day on the island before going home.
If the weather is good, that should be awesome:)

I may have contributed a lot yesterday.
The trees we take grafting stock from have all been hit by the fungus, but are resistant to some degree.
They have all suffered die-back ( Which can make the iffy to climb) but have overcome it.
A lot of manpower has gone into finding these trees ( Which is why paying us is peanuts in the whole scheme)
As I was up in a tall one, I looked out over the area and saw one, completely surrounded by dead ones, that was pristine.
No die-back, no fresk water sprouts, like they get, when they make a come back.
So I rapelled down and asked the guy why that one hadn't been picked.
Well, apparently they had overlooked it ( You see things a lot better/different from above, which is why I found it.)
So he gave it a number and a GPS position and we took stock from it.
That was the only completely resistant tree found so far, so the guy was real happy.

That's awesome for the trees and you, Stig.

Did you SRT or Ddrt?

Nice. Are you detached from SRT when you are DRT? Like, in case of emergency, would you have to reattach to SRT system to descend to the ground since the DRT ropes are short?

Yep.
I use a RQ8 for rapelling out.
The only emergency I can imagine while harvesting graft stock would be my tie in point failing.
In that case, getting out of the tree will be no problem:lol:

Back