How'd it go today?

I figured someone could appreciate the humor in it! I'm keeping track of these moments for when I start my stand up comic career,:lol:

Just another day here. I've not been playing music for a week or so...hand isn't working properly so giving it some rest. Been doing a lot of reading and helping out newer musicians on a few other forums.

Another 6 weeks or so and it's back to tree work if the weather is decent. looking forward to climbing again this season but not so much to getting back into shape to do it.:lol:

Started a bunch of removals for a parking lot expansion. Mostly notch and drops with a few to strip. Bobcat to load the chipper. A lot of slipping and sliding in the fresh snow. Nothing but fun! I'll have one of my regular crew with me tomorrow. We will see if he can manage to not get the truck stuck at the dump. Had to send the pick up four times today to pull the driver out.

Burned tones of shat in the rain. Then rain cleared a bit and treated some pines with Merit for a customer.
Took Levi to his Entomology class at 4H and then to cub scouts.
Just a peaceful day. Days like this help keep my temper in check.

today I went out to the headlands and shot pics of new emerging native plants. Actually I've been doing this for a month. For years I just took pics of the flowers. Now I'm taking pics of the plants themselves. very detailed macro images. It's cool.

Macro photog is really cool, messed around with it a little myself. I have a friend that is a real pro at that aspect, I don't know how she has the patience for what she can come up with. Like to see your results at some point, Jerry.

Took the guys over to grind stumps this morning. Replaced bearings in a salter and cutting edge on a plow. The boss took me to look at a tight removal so I could start planning it out. Plan is simple. Reach over the garage with a crane. It would be a nice challenge to rig out, but is set up perfect for a crane. Chatted a bit with a climber who works a bit north of me and got some contact info for crane companies that he trust for treework. Hoping to start a new relationship with a crane co.

No the shaft that the spinner is on. Kind of a PITA. From lack of maintenance, what we were discussing in another thread. Not my truck either. There are six grease fittings on these things and it takes less than five minutes to do.

Dealt with a really cool Ebayer today! Back in November I ordered a tool for my bicycle, USPS said it was delivered, but never showed up and didn't show delivered on the tracking number. I contacted the seller, we dealt, they weren't really happy, but gave me a refund and we gave each other positive rep, all was good.
Today, over three months later, it shows up, thanks USPS! Me, being me, I contacted the seller to let them know I got it and let me know how much they were out so I could make it right with them.
The reply, "I appreciate you being honest, enjoy it, watch my auctions for other great buys and thanks for being a great person!"
I thought it was pretty cool.

I got a new job and had a final meeting with the owner today. I first interviewed back in November and had a second climbing/working interview on Tuesday. It's taken a while but I'll be happy when I start here in a few weeks!

I spent all day in a tree that i didn't think i would be climbing at all. I don't know what was wrong with me when i went to look at the job, but i thought i had 3 trees that didn't need to be climbed. Luckily I packed my gear along just in case, and cuz i was thinking about climbing one just for some spur practice. I pulled up and saw the power line for the house and a coaxial line to the barn running next to and through one of 2 dead english walnuts in the yard. I spend several hours in that one, solo rigging, kicking myself the whole time. The other english walnut needs to be topped as its too tall to drop in the yard. I guess I thought i could drop that one next to the first, but since the coax runs through there that plan is out. I'll be heading back there sunday with a groundsman (well, groundswoman) to finish the rest of what i thought was a half day job. BIG check on the learning curve today.

Telephone and coaxial cables are so easy to take down and put back up. Just lay it on the ground, pull it out of the way, and go to work, and pull it back up when you're done. It can save you hours of needless frustrating work. Done it many times.

Jerry is right...I don't consider myself super-handy. But a short ladder and screwdriver and you will have those data lines down in a hurry. I have taken a short length of small cord before and put a prussic on the cable to pull on as strain relief while disconnecting the cable.

Power lines are different...I have gotten a line drop by the power company a few times...seemed like it would be a hassle but not really. Sure makes a difference in your time and safety. It is intimidating until you just go through the process...then you can say, "I've done that before."

Back