How'd it go today?

Scared a fence, shed, and madrone after preschool while knocking apart a pondo pine. Latter part paid a lot more than the former, but it was nothing but work, work, work.

off today, back on tomorrow....looks like rain on friday thru monday, Im a fair weather climber lol

got poison oak on Monday...ichy!!!

Took down a decent oak today, all rigging over wires and building, anyway missed that the lowering line had caught up on something, so when the branch dropped and the rope took the weight it freed itself, readjusted and ran over my shoulder, threw my helmet into the ether and gave me some rope burn on the neck. No real harm done but there's a million ways to hurt yourself in this game.

Wasn't that bad really, just a little slap in the face for an "experienced" bloke to remind him to keep his eyes open.
But there's football on the telly tonight, so a chilled muscadet is already halfway empty.

Thats good. Looked up Mouse Cadet. Looks fancy.

I prefer red wine. I went to a wine tasting and the host told me I have very few taste buds because I cant taste white wine very well. It tastes like water.

I cant enjoy the complexity of it I guess. I need blunt flavors!

I buy mine in a box. Wine here is practically free, plus I don't spend all night peeing like I would if I was drinking beer.

Im not a quaffer more of a glugger.

Thats good. Looked up Mouse Cadet. Looks fancy.

I prefer red wine. I went to a wine tasting and the host told me I have very few taste buds because I cant taste white wine very well. It tastes like water.

I cant enjoy the complexity of it I guess. I need blunt flavors!

The Copenhagen does that.

Those little reminders are good. They're to get your attention before a big reminder comes around. I spent the day taking down a dead beech tree. I trimmed it 2 years ago and it showed no signs of stress. Of course now there is a new septic system, sidewalks on two sides, and a reception hall built on the forth side. All within twenty feet. It went great. The ground crew was really in sync with everything today. Had the log on the ground by 2:30. I planned on 5:00. It's a good thing too. We're supposed to have 2"-4" of fresh snow by midnight. It's nap time.

Indeed!
Ins company called me back today, they seem to want to play nice all of the sudden? He's supposed to come out this weekend so we can try to sort things out to make both of us happy? We'll see, but I'm not expecting great things from them.

that looks like a real hunk a tree, or was.

Yesterday was open-ended hourly deal, mostly pruning a yard that was over planted. I removed a couple small trees, one being a Cryptomeria Japonica, which I only recently learned to identify. This customer's former spouse designed and planted this yard while learning landscape design. Barely have room to walk. Choked and crowded. Waterfront home on the steamboat island of steamboat island Peninsula where I live, where I live.a little teardrop Road with no more than 20 houses. until we started making chainsaw noise we had a bald eagle talking in the background perched up in a tree.

Worked out really well and got a tip even though it was an hourly job, even after I had an unnecessarily long delay in game with work logistics and scheduling the line drop.

I started an EMR class in November. EMR is the new First Responder, and is a step below EMT. It was 70 hours and required that you maintain a 70% on the tests and we had to do a bunch of practical examinations at the end. THEN we had to take the state written test, which the class did last night.

We all passed! We can now get a licence to practice medicine in the state of Montana.

Captain-Dr. Zero....that is fine news to read. I took First Responder in 1993...it was 40 hours then and an excellent course...way more than advanced first aid.

Five of us on our dive team are starting a FR course Feb. 17...Tu/Th each week until done. I am looking forward to the training but also to getting it behind me.

Congratulations on all y'all passing the State test, too.

Or is it Dr. Captain Zero? Hey congrats man. Soon we will have a doctor in the house
That was a big beech but don't give me to much credit, I took full advantage of that bucket truck that was in the pic. Had to stretch a bit for a few cuts but was able to reach enough to not climb. And like I said earlier, the ground crew did awesome yesterday.
Went in at midnight to plow. Got home around ten. Just missed seeing my nieghbor sliding off his drive and well into the pasture with his skid loader. Oh how I love winter.

Today was "celebrate the birth of a Tasmanian real estate agent day", here.
All the busses were decorated with flags.
This country celebrates the weirdest things.

I started whacking off a large stand of very large mature beech, not quite a clear cut, since a few are left to seed those areas where second growth hasn't come in.
It is on ground too steep for forwarders and marshy in the low part.
Felling those in such a way as not to crush too much second growth while at the same time not making it impossible to extract the logs and wood will be extremely tricky.
It is not often I'm wishing I could just walk away from a logging job, but walking through the area with Richard this morning, I sure did.

There is more to being a good treefaller than being able to put a tree down where one wants it.
In this case planning and thinking ahead will be just as important.

Back