How'd it go today?

Had to bath the dogs today. Not fun at 30 F. Only my dog would find a skunk in January. Also replaced failed ball joints on my little old s-10. Gonna spend the rest of the day hanging out with the family and washing ropes and slings

I ceaned the house very thoroughly today, since I'm off to fetch the mail order bride for good tomorrow. Didn't want it to look too much like an old bachelor had lived here.

Two hours before sunrise I fly off to Wien ( That is Vienna to you yanks!) to pick up my new truck.
I couldn't find the version I wanted in denmark, so I started looking abroad. Turned out they were cheaper in Austria than in Germany, so I bought one there.
I'll pick it up, have a cup of coffee and a slice of Sachertorte, then drive to Schweiz and pick up my wife ( Couldn't find the model wife I wanted here either, had to look abroad)

Then the long drive home. But this time in a newish truck, so it should go smoother than last time.

Lazed about most of the day. Split some firewood and toted it to the porch. And smoked 20 pounds of Boston butts....

Been in hospital since friday, my little girl had alot of consolidation in her lungs partially collapsed them, doing better now, should be home monday morning.

Yes, good luck with that, Raj.

What do you mean, Treesmith??

Thanks y'all! She's on her way home now, she's prone to lung issues, and it's gotten worse since she is in school now (at 4!) She was born a micro preemie, at 24 weeks, 4 months early, she only weighed 1 lb 6 ozs. She wasn't expected to live, if she did, she was going to be blind, severely handicapped, unable to walk, or speak. Hopefully she can mend before returning to school and who knows what she'll catch again!

Thanks!

Good news, Raj...she has to be a tough little girl.

My wife and I were foster parents in the mid 80's...our first foster child was a 4-5 month old little girl. She was 1lb 8 oz at birth...I never saw her that small, just pictures..she looked like a baby bird in someone's hand. When we got her she was up to 4.5 lbs and still seemed VERY tiny. She had already had heart surgery when we got her, one tough little baby. She had been abandoned by her mother and the nurses named her Amy. I think we probably had her for about 6 months...what a joy she was. She was a little black baby and cute as could be. We got a lot of strange looks in our GA town when we took her out and about to K-mart or restaurants...you could tell folks WANTED to ask what we were doing with a little black baby that we obviously loved 'cause we coo-ed and ooo-ed over her like our own (my daughter was 3 yrs at the time - she thought Amy was HER sister). But most folks just kind of looked at us sideways and didn't know what to say...hahaha..funny as hell.

She ended up getting adopted by a local Dr., an anesthesiologist...long story there...and she was nice enough to keep us involved for about 5 years so we got to watch Alma grow up (the doc changed Amy's name to a family name) until they moved out of state.

Those preemie babies are special, loving and TOUGH. I know you have a very special one there.

This is a few hours after her birth! Her bowels and her lungs also burst, she did have a small heart surgery, but it was more to check a duct.

Wow Gary good to hear that story, especially in the 80's a baby so small surviving and having a good life!

Unnamed.jpg

Probably checking PDA...patent ductus arteriousis...would be my guess. I learned some of the lingo as a result of her. And the fact that 3 years before when my Katie was born, Katie had a strange heart sound they were concerned about...got us an appt with a cardiologist for a month later. By the time we saw the cardiologist the "duct" had closed like it was supposed to do before birth.

I appreciate your avatar picture of her even more now...y'all hang in there.

Gary, that's exactly what it was.

That one often resolves well from what I remember...sometimes spontaneously, like ours did and the surgery is straightforward...at least as straightforward as heart surgery on a baby can be. I remember learning about VSD, coarctation of the aorta, murmurs in general since they didn't really know what it was...I studied up before seeing the cardiologist so I had a chance of understanding what they were trying to tell me.

I bet you have learned LOTS about various medical conditions thanks to your little pink booted chainsaw girl...she looks like a real whipper-snapper now.:D

Haven't been in here forever! Hope things look up Raj!

Had an interesting day, dad had a medium Hedge tree he really wanted down, aboraphobia again, I guess? Back of his property, adjacent to a park with a lean to his property and over his neighbors fence. He wanted to pull it into the park, against the lean, I suggested to pull it onto his property and just take a section of fence down. Anyway, we went with my plan, it was only around 18" at the base, but I had to ALAP it to fell it. It had a good 3ft of chainlink fence ingrown and a terrible inclusion where a branch had ripped off of it above it.
Had thorns stuck in my hands, my knees, my butt crack and even my lips, but got the damn thing on the ground fine.
Then, rather than cleaning up the mess, dad decides he wants the fence back up, well the hunk with the fence stuck in it is in the way and we can't move it so dad drives the tractor around to the park to push it in further so we can set the fence. This would have been fine, but he kept going to one side of the stump instead of getting the stump center of the tractor and pushing. Well, sure enough, he gets hooked on the stump, no power steering, and can't straighten the wheels out. Wiped out another section of fence and peeled the tire right off the rim!
STUPID 5.00-15 tires on this thing! I tell you, we spent three hours putting a new tube in the damn thing and getting it seated right!
Tree is down, tractor is fixed, fence isn't up and I came home and made a stiff drink!

Back