How'd it go today?

I think it'll stabilize somewhere near where it is now. The Swiss economy is very strong.
They have been keeping the Franc low on purpose but have bought up enough of them that they feel they can let it go up now, without too much risk.

You guys will start feeling that the dollar has risen a lot lately, because your export will be hurt.( I won't be buying at Bailey's, for example).
A strong currency is a double edged sword.

But since we don't need to buy anything in Schweiz, only bring money out of there, it is great for us.
I read this today.

www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/...crazy-yesterday-and-why-it-matters/ar-AA8fXC5

Yup, that is what I have read/heard about it, too.

It is not the first time I've made money that way.

When my ex and I sold our house and emigrated to California in 89, we exchanged all our money to US$.
The Danish state expected me to pay an "emigrant tax" of 15 % in order to be allowed to transfer the money out.
I said, to hell with that, exchanged the money in small batches over a year, and waltzed through JFK airport with $250000 in my jacket.

Imagine doing that today:O

After everything went down the drain for us, and we got home again, we still had a bit of money left.
I had a training partner who was a currency dealer, so I asked him what to do.

Put it under your mattress and I'll tell you when to exchange it, was his answer.

It sat for about 3 years, then he called me and said go.

I made about 20000$ out of that.

For a working man, making money like that, with no work involved, sure feels weird.
Not bad, just....................weird.

I've told the story before, but here it is again:

Well basically I got screwed!
I had come up with an idea of starting a busines in California, so I went to the US embassy in Denmark and asked if that was possible.
They told me that if I had an American partner, which we did, it would be no problem.
So my ex and I took an educatiuon, and when that was done, sold our house and everything else.
Well arrived in Cali, we went to see the INS. I told them what the lady at the embassy had told me, and got a " They told you what?" reply.
That was when I started to get a bad feeling.
Turned out that it was completely impossible for us to get a permission to start.
So we contacted an immigration lawyer, who took our case. After he had strung it out for over a year, and still no answer, I got a second opinion from another lawyer.
Turned out the first one had just been keeping the thing going to milk us for as much money as possible .
The second lawyer told us that since we had basically come in the wrong door to begin with and been denied green cards, anything we did would be seen as a ruse to go around the rules. So they would keep denying us work permits.
So we went home.
We had rented a house, bought a car, appliances etc. and sat for almost 1½ year with no income.
Add lawyer's fees and transporting furniture etc. twice across the Atlantic and you'll start to get an idea of where the money went.

Damned thing is, that if they had simply told us the right thing at the embassy, it would have been a piece of cake.

Have our Californian friend start the busines, then hire us.
Then we could have got green cards, and after a few years bought our share of the busines from him.

Since it was all word of mouth, I couldn't even do the American thing and sue the crap out of them for misinforming me.

All water under the bridge, but it took a long time to get back on foot, economically.

Thanks, Stig. You refer to the hard attempt to emigrate occasionally.

This would have been long before such easy access to information as we have now, and your present mastery of English, I imagine. It would seem that both would have helped.

Immigration is probably still a nightmare process. Left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Nope, my English was about as good back then. Information was the thing.
My buddy even tried to contact his local congressman about it, the unfairness of not letting someone with, money, language skills and a busines idea in, when they at the same time were letting asians and hispanics with no money, no work skills and no English in by the thousands.
Still, no go.

It was in 89, I'm long over it.
To tell you the truth, we both ended up feeling good that we'd tried. Even if the cost was high.
Better to try and fail, than forever after regret not trying.

I think I would have made a good Californian:)

I write better than I did then.
That is thanks to all the writing I do here:)

Actually Stig, there are very few non-treehouse posting Californians who are not complete imbeciles. I'm afraid you wouldn't have done very well there at all.

I however, would fit right in.

Pulled the head off my bucket truck today. Found a spot in the gasket that didn't look quite right between cylinders 4&5. Had a different discoloration in those exhaust valves as well. Gonna have to say that was the problem. The head and injectors go in to be cleaned, tested, and rebuilt( if needed) tomorrow. Pistons and cylinder liners all looked good thank God. Just getting things fixed before the weather turns nice. Should be getting my 250 XP next weekend also. Come springtime look out. I'm gonna be competition.

Well, class went well yesterday and Saturday. Some of the students traveled 150 miles so I was pretty nervous about making it worth the trip. The all shook my hand and thanked me afterwards. They enjoyed it! Fire Weather is a tough one to teach, especially right after lunch, people either love weather or cant be bothered. The lead instructor did make a good point that if you dont care about weather you should find a new job.

The fire shelter portion went well too. I feel much better. If I can just pass my EMR class this month and get my license, I will be relieved.

Oh, yes. My diet is working too. I am down ten pounds. It has been pretty easy so far to loose the weight. Weight I gained back after loosing it the first time.

It is easier to loose weight when your diet is fueled by hatred!

Don't hate yourself, Jim.
You are a good guy, just not a slender one.

Good to hear the classes went well. I know that pre-seminar dread quite well.
The feeling when it is over and you can tell it went over well, is a goooood one:)

Congrats on the weight (and the class!) loss! Just keep whittling away at it and you'll get there!

Instructing a class of 10 or more students doesn't come easy the first time. Always scan your students with direct eye contact to give yourself confidence and focus with them.
Shut down the "time vampires" the long winded students who like to hear themselves talk with comments getting you off track, dismissing the information you already taught .
Keep your instruction direct and simple avoiding too much information that would only weaken the concept of basics your trying to teach. Trying to impress only goes over your students heads.

I spoke at my grandmothers funeral service and it was hard on me. For multiple reasons. I was my first time speaking to 100 people.

Back