How'd it go today?

Jury duty and of course picked despite being a sole provider. The 15 dollars a day at least covers gas.

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

Big laugh with the flippy caps;)

Not so much on the grease.

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

It is amazing how those flippy caps have made people actually brag about their lack of manual dexterity.

Hey, I do too.
I never have any problem with them, but then I run alkylate fuel in my saws, not alcohol.

Yeah.. our methanol up here is hell on them.
I have had them just fall apart while on the saw working at height.
Call down... "Cap broke!"
"gonna run it out of oil and fuel then ask for the back up. Have it at the ready".
I carry spare caps on the truck as well..

My saws go to the grave with the caps they were born with.
But then they rarely last more than two seasons.

I never had a problem either. Just don't overfill the oil tank and expect them to lock properly as you can expect with screw down caps.

I have a groundie who cannot figure them out...don't ask me why

Have you very specifically shown them the marks to line up, and the fulcrum point that ruins the cap when not twisted far enough, and where its home is located (not being a fulcrum point) when it is twisted far enough, then dropped 'flipped closed'?

Personally, I think they're fine until someone misuses them. I'm surprised that it is not readily apparent, but I have more luck explicitly showing people how they will ruin the cap, or not.

Now that I think about it now that Bermy has owned my last flippy cap Stihl for several years now.

It takes a half turn twist of the cap for it to properly sit in place in order to lock the lever down. But if you drop it in the hole on the wrong side of the cap it won't lock .......makes sense?
Just takes a little practice, probably why their so frustrating for newcomers who never used them before

They could do a better job with the marks to line up so newbies were sure how to line them up. Sawdust collects under the oil cap worse than screw on caps. The o ring on the gas swells so it is hard to get out. A simple screw on cap works fine. KISS.

I don't mind them much anymore but I got one guy who can't get them most of the time. The bad thing is he's the guy that shows up early and fills saws, checks oil, and gets trucks hooked up. I can't get mad at him because he works great. Guess I'll look on the bright side, my saw box will never rust out

What was the KISS system Wally?
The first series 540 introduced in Europe [if you google images of T540XP] looked to me like a full locking flippy cap . But yeah I can see what your saying with a fold down grip.
Probably alot of them broken off with some heavy handed field testers.

Have to admit Stihl did make quite the accomplishment of engineering that flippy cap design.
It just didn't match the motor skills of some end users though:D

Back