How'd it go today?

I did the same thing at my aunt's funeral. Tried to, that is. Tried and failed…

Hoorah on the class. Good to hear that folks cared enough to thank you for your work. Good luck on the EMR. Several of us on our Dive Team are taking First Responder starting Feb. 17. I took it in 1993 and got a lot out of it...will be curious to see the changes now.

Progress towards where, or what? A number? If you are fit and feel good, the number is utterly irrelevant. If you are not fit or don't feel good, by all means work on good diet and exercise until you do. Number is still irrelevant, imo.

I scale myself every morning I'm at home, first thing after my shower. Helps me keep on task a lot, I've found. Still down the 20 I lost between last Jan. and Aug.

Progress towards where, or what? A number? If you are fit and feel good, the number is utterly irrelevant. If you are not fit or don't feel good, by all means work on good diet and exercise until you do. Number is still irrelevant, imo.

I think a number can be a help in some cases, especially initially. Just be cautioned that numbers can start to lie in some ways, for some people. Typical water fluctuation is one component. Building muscle mass/ weight detracts from the total number going down.

BMI can be horribly 'off'. I'm overweight, technically, which I'm not.

Best of luck with it, Jim. Do you have some goals you're working toward, like a walking a distance or one-finger pull-ups or...?

Nice Jim on both accounts!

Small job this morning thankful of a high tie in.
e262117214823a9f63f57c5e2be8da4f.jpg

Then burned some debris, new row started again:)
579992d06550ef07e8a343fa1cfbc27a.jpg

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

Nice fire there.
Finished the job from yesterday. Rode with the boss to look at another big maple takedown. 10X12 area with a 60" diameter stump. It was topped about 15 years ago and the whole center is gone. Bucket can reach from the neighbors drive but tight getting in. Crane is out of the question along with speed lining because of all the utilities and other obstacles. Luckily it's gonna snow so I won't be there tomorrow. We keep the trucks close to home with bad weather. Gonna zip line a big willow across a decent sized creek instead. Not sure how I'm gonna get the lower wood across but I'll figure it out

Glad you got over the wasp stings Joel.

My arms are still itchy as hell, not as bad but it's been ten days now. Haven't had one this bad since a Rhus tree got me years ago.

Bit hot today and just a bit of pruning, slow motion when I was chipping. Hot days don't usually bother me unless it's humid, lack of sleep does though. I hope I sleep a bit better tonight.:drunk:

Took that willow down today. Zip line went decent enough for a wide spread tree. Found out why you're supposed to use locking caribiners for the top cuts. Must of cross loaded but I have no idea where it went. Held on long enough to clear the creek. Clutch went out in the chipper, guy slid the bobcat over the creek bank, and had to strobe up the road to pull the bucket truck back onto the road. It was still a great day. Another Treestuff box at my door so I'm good.

Good news! Finally got shot of the mini loader, bought in kit form 3 years ago, countless hours welding, painting and cursing the manufactures for poorly fabricating profiles.
I lost heart with it and it sat unfinished for ages in the corner of the workshop.
The new guy that works for me helped me finally finish it and he's a buyer seller type on the French eBay so did the whole marketing thing.
Fella turned up yesterday gave me €3250. Passed 10% over to the lad. Brilliant!
Lost money on the whole thing but I spent it so long ago it's like a bonus.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 45
Four days into a 3 to 4 week felling contract, felled a lovely big Strawberry tree and a large Catalpa, such a shame to remove nice trees like that to make way for 200 shitty houses.

Still, it's work.

I hope you passed that strawberry tree/ Arbutus on to some woodturners?

That is Madrone, to you PNW folks!

There is a Steiner school next door who are taking all the interesting timber to make things out of and to give the children experience in wood working so it's not all going to waste, which at least is something.

Super!
You won't believe the amount of wood I pass on to woodturners each year.
Not much extra work for me and it sure makes a lot of people happy and saves some good wood from the furnace.
Plus, it brings in a bit of travelling money and keeps my wine cellar full.
Around here, a nice bottle of wine is what you give someone who does you a smallish favour.

I have cut some rounds of beech, oak and ash for a beginner woodturner.
Nothing special, he just needed some wood to practice on.
He'll be picking it up this afternoon, and that'll probably be another good bottle or two for the cellar:)

I should learn a bit more about turning and what and how to cut for them.

I don't deal with wood turners any more, they take up too much of my time and take far too little of my wood, picking over the stack for 2 hours and then leaving with just enough to turn a pen.

I used to have a really good turner, he would just come to the yard and cut what he wanted himself, tidy up himself and pay cash. I sold him a burr from a London plane measuring nearly a metre wide for $100, I think he did quite well out of that. Unfortunately he retired, I didn't realise turners could retire, actually I thought it was what you did after you retire from your actual job.

Being a turner myself helps a lot.
I know exactly what they want.
I'd say you let that plane burl go too cheap, but then I don't know your local market.

I found a nice ash burl last year and gave it away to one of the best turners in Denmark, because I was curious to see what he could make from it.
This:

nils F1.JPG nils F2.JPG

I give a lot of wood to only one turner. He usually gives a a bowl out of it. I give them away for gift, etc....I do keep some of my favorites though. Box elder and maple with ambrosia beetle are his faves. One of these is holly,I think

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Wasn't really bothered about the money, him turning it was easier than firewooding it. I'd have had to saw it into bricks or something.

Back