How'd it go today?

Massive old Oak, apparently the bigger Oaks are on the other side of the estate. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 68
Going to cut a live tree today with D. The tree farm is 0.5 miles from home. Should be a fun time. Going to the library, as well. New books for a kid...such a treat, and free (well already paid in taxes).

Cool, foggy morning.

Drinking coffee and cleaning up the house.

Odds and ends, as always...paperwork, scheduling, emails, etc.

misty/drizzley, breezy day spent roping out Silver Maple from over house. just kept getting a bit more miserable as the day went on. Couldn't quite finish the tree before dark, so called it a day, but the roping is done. Just Two 60-50' leads to chunk down yet.

Opened garage to put some things away when I got home and there sets my snow-thrower with a brand new engine. Dang, I haven't even paid for the engine yet and it's finished...$500 for everything they did and the new 8hp engine...not bad.:)

Spent the day with the hired man, wife and son setting gates, driving posts and fixing corrals. High humidty and 30 degrees with a strong wind made for a cold day. Looks like we will be ready for winter when it comes.

I paid 11,500 dollars for a machine that drives posts...............best money I ever spent.

2302005H-LG.jpg

Pics, Jim.

Great oak pictures! A small and dull chipper must have indeed sucked but it looked like nice results.

The guy I used to work for has a tractor mounted pounder that will drive an unsharpened railroad tie into the ground.:lol:

State Parks had a mini-x attachment that pounded 6" round posts (pointed). Pales in comparison to that thing, Dave.

Mine does not have the auger, that is an extra option.

My pounder will drive an eight inch post into the ground with no pilot hole. It will drive a sharpened rail road tie, not a blunt one! We drive a single 2 and 7/8 pipe into the ground where an H brace made of wood used to be. We drive them in 5 feet, no need to brace after that.

Between the corrals, line fences and corners? 20,000? Probably more.

Thank god I did not have to set all of them, but we have to fix fence and corrals all year long. Some of the wire on these fences is 100 years old. Some split cedar posts are 70 years old.

We probably set 500 steel t posts a year, 100 wood posts, and 50 steel pipes. Not counting new fence construction.

Jim is married, so he can't be Hoss. Didn't you see the episode where Hoss had his heart broken by a pretty gal, or maybe she got shot, i can't remember.

True, Gary, but either way, Hoss sucked it up and got over it. Hop Sing probably gave him an extra big portion of antelope stew.

Back