How'd it go today?

Bad day in high winds. End weight/reducing firs over a house. Trees up to 130. I haven't had to hang on like that in many a year....was getting nothing done for what seemed like long periods, waiting for the gusts to stop. Awful feeling being up there.

Sounds like a good day to have called it off, eh?
:)

Sounds like a good day to have called it off, eh?
:)

Well it started OK, then it all went sour after lunch. I kept thinking it would pass, but it didn't. The trees were on the edge of a Forrest, adjacent to the property. Forrest covered probably 500 yards. You could see the wind coming through the treetops afar, they would go crazy, I would think 'oh shit'.

I stayed home. It was blowing hard here, 200 miles south or so of you Reg. Good thing is that old fir limbs that need EWReduction have that Good grippy nature to them, kinda like snot.

You're a trooper, Reg.

I was having a hard enough time the other day when it was just wet, no wind piecing out the big limbs below the long ago topping cut on big firs.

Just ripped out the 8 ft hot tub out of our new place and making the room into a spare bedroom. Was real sorry to have to cut the hot tub up into pieces, but that was the only way to get it out of the house.

20141024_112422.jpg 20141025_122336.jpg

Knocked things out pretty good again today. Funny how I can tell how I'm feeling by the speed the wood hits the ground.:lol:

One more Oak to take out over a couple fences and a parking and a stub to negative block down and this job will be finished. HO is happy with the progress so far and enjoys watching from inside the house. There won't be a tree left on the property when we're done.

I'm considering going back to burning wood for heat...have enough hard wood here for a year and enough spruce for another 2 if I went with an outdoor stove. I usually give wood away but have been dumping at home lately 'cause everyone I supply has more than enough, I guess.

For tree people burning split wood, I wonder the cost versus the dial on the wall. Would $400-500 per year to the electric company for the sold cords balance out. I would not overheat the house and have windows open for fresh air.

Trick is not to lose heat out of the chimney when the wood furnace is not burning.
I have wood /electric heat in my home and was up on the roof the other day and felt heat coming out of the chimney when only the electric furnace was on.
Presently looking at a easy access chimney blockoff to prevent that.

My house is currently oil heat. It would take about $6k in oil to heat for one winter. I hope to have my OWB on line next week.

I run a wood burner in the lounge, and one in the kitchen when it's really cold.

This job has a few perks, and free firewood is surely one of them.

We have Natural gas here. I'm considering heating both my house and my sister's next door with the burner between the two.

I have had bills as high as $300 in a month. Have since replaced most windows and insulated but it can still run a couple hundred a month when cold.

I've always been able to buy processed wood and burn it for less $ than heating with Gas. I like wood heat far better also...it feels warmer than gas at the same temp.

I'm guessing your burning Red Mulberry? I've got some White up here...it'll burn ok if your in a pinch but not real great.

Long day today. 6 hrs in spikes removing oak tree. Still got the top and trunk to do. ( 44" diameter for 50 or 60') no drop zone. Hour drive each way and it's getting dark pretty early. Gonna be a pain blocking down the wood. Oh well. At least I'm doing it cheap for a buddy!:lol:

Helped fiddler in the rain and cold today, made his day a little rough though lol (can't seem to get one knot just right all the time) set up a couple pine trees for next spring after I got home. As for now just tying rope and studying. Tomorrow is firewood and trim day hopefully the rain holds off

Just another day of work in a normal 12 hour a day 7 day a week deal .

Now I did get an invite from a lady I went to school with who became a widow about 5 years ago .Thank you Butch for the facebook idea. One never knows about these things .Maybe there is a new trick for an old dog after all .Arf arf !:D

Removed a long dead white oak today. Not a monster but big wood all had to be lowered to not damage the parking lot. Roped down to twelve feet (45" diameter) and cut it firewood length and shoved into the bobcat bucket. Glad it was a bucket removal though. Every time I'd cut a limb the whole canopy would shake small pieces off. I wound up with a half load of dust not chips. Got home early enough to build a bunch of Lego houses and play with my girls for a few hours before they went to bed. A bit chilly but a beautiful day.

Time with the kid(s) is a great thing.

Bid one job. Went next door for a look at the son in law's leaning ash, committed to the lay. 1,2,3 walk away for a quick $80. Hard to know what to charge for a job like that. I did have to avoid a little tree, and a building well off the target lay, but big and spreading.

Continued working on the big waterfront job I've been pecking away at. Actually climbed the rope on one maple prune today. Then even advanced my climb line higher. Seems rare lately, with the APTA. Worked on the way up with limb walks that the Wraptor would make cumbersome. Did Wraptor up a big doug fir. Just pull the trigger. Blew 5 yards of chips into a trailer and delivered for sale. I haven't raked chips out of a truck or trailer in a couple of years. Feeling spoiled. Good exercise. Nostalgic, except tonight there were lights, unlike back in the early days at my work yard.

Helped fiddler in the rain and cold today, made his day a little rough though lol (can't seem to get one knot just right all the time) set up a couple pine trees for next spring after I got home. As for now just tying rope and studying. Tomorrow is firewood and trim day hopefully the rain holds off

Good luck with the rain thing.

:P It's a mental block on the knot for sure. I'll have to come up with something else to tease you about when you start getting it right all the time.:/:

I wasn't having a great day taking down a leaning spar and just flat being out of energy. Glad we quit when we did, I had done hit "the wall" physically...resting today.

When I was learning, I uses to have a 2ft piece of cord on my lap whilst watching tv.
I'd practice all the key knots again and again until it was in the memory.

So wait, Mick, first your suggesting practicing knot work like it's important to our trade , and that a person doesn't need full attention at important times, like TV time. Next, you'll suggest that groundies don't need to watch wood fall from the sky and hit the lawn.;-)

Keep at it, TT. It will come. Which is your troublesome knot?

I call it a slippery sheet Bend (sheet bend w/bite as last move instead of tail going through) I'm sure it probably has some "correct" name I'm not aware of but I figured it out on my own, hence my identification of it. Super simple and It is my preferred way to have a rope sent to me.

Nick knows the knot (as well as any others I'v asked him to learn and a few he has learned on his own) but has a mental block and gets very frustrated being aware he knows it (and how simple it is) but then all of a sudden doesn't, and I get to hassle him about it whenever I have to untie some strange conglomeration he has sent up.:lol:

I use it because it is a "pull & disappear" knot that doesn't need to be untied and saves me time and frustration when up in the tree.

Back