How'd it go today?

Went with a friend today to see a job he is working on. Working on saving a fresco painted on stucco being damaged by water infiltration through the wall. Major undertaking. Fresco is valued at $1.3 million.

Might have an interesting gig tomorrow...my son is a FF. One of his brother FF's bought some land awhile back...complete with a Forest Service fire-lookout tower on it. Alex and I are supposed to help him figure out how to re-roof it as part of restoring it...we have to get on the top somehow to measure it first, I think. Has the potential to be interesting.

I cut an opening in my concrete block chimney today and installed a cast iron clean-out door about 14 inches from the bottom. It was a horrible job, as I had to chip out about a cubic foot of mortar that had piled up in the bottom of the chimney while the concrete blocks were being laid.....about 40 years ago. That mortar was harder than concrete, but with the hammer drill and a rotary chisel I finally got it. spice rack project 003.jpg

Joel

Nice work Joel.

Spent the last two days in the plow truck digging out. Crazy snow event up here. Rigged a fairly large white pine limb off a porch roof after work. Slippery.

DSC04189.JPG

DSC04186.JPG

DSC04171.JPG

DSC04172.JPG

DSC04176.JPG

First night of the storm I was out on our main access road heading down the the gate to plow out a stuck vehicle. About a mile out coming down a little hill I had about a 15" Hemlock come down about twenty yards in front of me. I locked them up, started sliding, and dropped the plow. I thought for sure it was going to crunch the plow-frame, but damn it if the V plow didn't split the tree right in half. No damage. haha.

Yep. I will never do a big hedge again. In fact. I called the one I have thursday and said find someone else.

Hedge=suck fest

You got that right. The one you are doing looks particularly bad cuz its not heavily overgrown. I hate it when just a little has to come off. Did you do that whole length too, by the red six wheeler?

Been lots of sunshine here for awhile but looks like a little rain tonight and tomorrow morn.

It's not uncommon to have snow for deer season. That being said, parts of the UP just got upwards of 33", which is not at all normal.

Girlfriend had a brake line leak, probably for a week or so on a 2000 hyundai. Well, I replaced from under the driver's seat to the rear passenger tire.... a lot of work, while bleeding the air, well, the front part of the brake line burst..... spent today changing that one, but I do have to say I think I really like bubble flares, much easier to make than double flares!

You got that right. The one you are doing looks particularly bad cuz its not heavily overgrown. I hate it when just a little has to come off. Did you do that whole length too, by the red six wheeler?

Whole thing. To the end of the road. 7.5 hrs in the truck non stop. Just did the tops too.

Grendel,

Looking at those pictures you posted, I think I'd better get my butt out to the barn and install the winter chains on the tractor. That's one heck of a mess you have there.

We don't have any snow here yet, so I just took on a job of removing two small branches.......one each from two separate trees.........and to top that, it's 125 miles from me. But, it's for my mother, so I didn't dare turn her down. Free supper for the wife and I, plus a good time with the parents is sometimes worth more than money. Not a bad trip, so long as we get going before the snow begins to pile up around here.

Joel

Whole thing. To the end of the road. 7.5 hrs in the truck non stop. Just did the tops too.

Yup, doesn't get much better n that. Makes you wonder how the landscapers do that chit without a bucket. Bushes, etc, so much harder than trees...

I've been working on my wood boiler installation this week. I got my heat exchanger mounted and my insulated pipe run from the OWB. It's circulating on that side now. My plumber friend is coming in the morning to open up my oil burner and put a circulator on and any fittings needed to hook up the PEX to the heat exchanger on that side. I hope to be on OWB heat be the end of the day tomorrow.

heatexchanger.jpg

Attachments

• 20141113_170952.jpg
    20141113_170952.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 43
I have no idea why it attached the sideways one.:|::X I tried to go back and remove it, but only the code for the proper one was there.

Dave Shepard,

I'm extremely interested in your boiler project. Please keep us posted, along with photos. I'm planning on doing the same thing with my new shop.......that I'll get around to building one of these days. The insurance companies really frown on wood burners inside the shop, so I'm thinking about putting an outdoor wood boiler out near the kiln, which will serve two purposes. The heat will be entirely free, mostly composed of slab wood from the sawmill.

Great work. Wishing you all the best with the project.

Joel

Spent an hour and a half enlarging the hole into the crawlspace with a hammer drill. I should be able to feel my hands by Christmas, I hope. I put my exchanger in the garage so I can hang a Modine unit over it and run the return line through it in the winter. You can see the valves with the two barb fittings on the top. That's my summer/winter option. If I put the exchanger in the basement near the oil burner, then I would have had to run a separate zone with circulator to the garage just for the heat. If I have to use my oil burner for backup, then I will keep the zone running to the heat exchanger, and I can still heat the garage with the oil. Hanging lines in the crawl space in the morning.

Back