How'd it go today?

Nice Scott. I just became Grampa Saturday as well. I wasn't sure that would ever come to pass. My sons are 39 and 35. Elijah. Not very common name. I think it might come from when he was a kid he called his brother Levi Eli in fun.

Kind of the same story as well. After 16 hours labor they did a C-section. Seems like a bit much.

Welcome to the Grandpa Club, Scott.
Best part of my week is the days I spend with my granddaughter.

Rain projected by 2pm. Pulled something hairlike out of the bottom of my right foot this morning; Yesterday started hurting and I couldn't even step on it, looked like a filament of fiberglass... odd.
9:15am and just back from a run to the bank. Guess I can get a prune or two done if I get out the door.

Nice Scott. I just became Grampa Saturday as well. I wasn't sure that would ever come to pass. My sons are 39 and 35. Elijah. Not very common name. I think it might come from when he was a kid he called his brother Levi Eli in fun.

Kind of the same story as well. After 16 hours labor they did a C-section. Seems like a bit much.

Congrats as well!

I'm starting to look at having to wind up my season here. I plow in the winter and I do whatever treework I can possibly access. But this year I've had my carpal tunnel surgery scheduled for nov 24th and as it stands I have no cutter/climber besides myself. Just a half trained groundsman, although he seems to be proving capable. So I'm having to shut down on nov 24th for about a month, plow trucks will roll but no cutting. I feel nervous about it, a shutdown. I'll be fine but it's stressing me out I'm booked out until then with very little wiggle room.

To long.

Atleast since I was nineteen. Started in. The woods on a saw straight out of highschool at seventeen. My hands have always been my weakness. Sucks, but I have high hopes for the slice. Just my right hand this year. I'll asses the improvement/recovery and then decide whether to do my left. I'm left handed.

With the mention of rain ,I've tried for three says to install the new fuel pump in the Jeep to no avail .Doesn't rain much just seems to drizzle about the time I get off work which is 6 PM .

This time of year you don't have much day light left after that .

Not too bad for me. Got some parts for my air seeder in the big town two and a half hours away. Spent a couple of nights so the kids could swim.

Bought a Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual today. I figured that I needed a light wire feed for some jobs. I can run the thing off my 300 amp welder on my service truck with flux core wire in the field if I need to.

We had all the tubes/lines tore off the bosses air seeder the other day in the middle of the field. Dumping wheat seed out of everyone of the wing tubes. He ran it forward to adjust the depth without the blower on, while it was folded.

That 180 sized mig is nice for a lot of fab and sheet metal work.

Congrats to all the Grandpas!

To long.

Atleast since I was nineteen. Started in. The woods on a saw straight out of highschool at seventeen. My hands have always been my weakness. Sucks, but I have high hopes for the slice. Just my right hand this year. I'll asses the improvement/recovery and then decide whether to do my left. I'm left handed.
I promise that it will be the best thing you have done in a long time. I had both of mine done 10 years ago and I was mad I waited that long. Recovery to 100% is longer for us than office workers but still worth it. Good luck man.

Was going to say I'd spot you a ticket until you got there and made some $$$'s but it's been a while since I priced flight ticket prices.:O

Thanks for the thought Steve, but yup, getting halfway around the planet is...expensive!!!

I'm getting pretty good at the credit card shuffle but that'd throw it way out of gear.

According to the news Sydney had a big 1 in 100 year storm, lots of damage and flooding. We got a storm and some rain around here but not a call for any trees.

Went to chip some branches for a guy today, I usually don't do that but got a dead tree to do as well while I was there so it turned out a good day.

I finally finished my firewood conveyor project. I'm a bit late getting it going, as I started this project in back in June.

This old conveyor was originally used for sorting potatoes. I found it lying in a heap of scrap equipment and was given permission to take it. It looked nothing like it does now. I converted it from a belt to chain. I then installed a new running gear under it that was once part of an old grain auger. A new "V" trough was fabricated for the bottom, and a set of 18 new pusher attachments were fabricated to fit the conveyor chain. The electric motor was replaced with a hydraulic motor, and the whole thing is now powered by the log splitter's power beyond valve. 20141012_165336.jpg 20141012_165400.jpg 20141012_165414.jpg 20141012_165450.jpg 20141012_165400.jpg 20141012_165414.jpg 20141012_165450.jpg 20141012_165430.jpg

Nice. I take it you can flip that splitter up vertically? Otherwise the wedge would be on the other end. Now tell us about that sawmill hiding behind the log pile.

Dave,

That old sawmill has been sitting there, patiently waiting for a good bit of attention. I need to install some new blade guides, a set of axles and wheels, some cam followers on the uprights, some new log dogs on the bed, and maybe a few other touches before it will be ready for production. I'll get to it one of these days, I promise. It's capable of handling a 36" diameter log, up to 20 feet in length, but it's underpowered for logs that size. I'm not sure what I'll replace the engine with, but I'm leaning toward one of those old Wisconsin air cooled jobbies. Any suggestions as to an engine upgrade? Any input would be appreciated.

Joel

Dave,

The splitter isn't set up properly for firewood production. You're right.....the splitter is on the wrong end. I'd like to install a log lift, making it possible to then eliminate the vertical operation. The pusher plate should push the log into the splitter wedge, then directly off and into the conveyor.

Joel

My dad would crap his pants if he heard anyone say Wisconsin. There MUST be a better engine around than one of those wretched things!

I saw one once that was shaped like a mushroom. You know, like how the top of a punch or chisel gets rounded over?

Owner became so enraged that he just took to beating the damn thing with a hammer until he could not swing any more.

Nice looking setup Joel.

It looks like a big pump, does the chain go pretty fast?

Back