How'd it go today?

Got 11 out of 12 dead ash down today before I called it quits. All bucket work so not to bad. A lot of rigging and engineering because of the over planting of hemlocks below. Even got out the KK for a while. Go in early to try to beat the rain. Last one is next to the drive so either way it's getting done.

94, how's your climber doin? Did he hate psycho boy too?

Climber is well. Happy to have him around. I was going to can Crazy at my yard first thing on day one after 5 minutes with him but Rick told me give him a day. We gave him a day. We also agreed at the end of the day that he was crazy.

Pruned a big cottonwood and replaced the Cobra cable that I installed 8 years ago (Anybody else notice that the self adjusting feature of Cobra never seems to work?) AllGear BranchSaver is in there now. Then pruned 3 apples and did about 75% of the pruning on a big weeping willow. One more bucket set in the AM will wrap it up. Good day! Sorry so many others had "Mondays".

Not too bad for me. Got some parts for my air seeder in the big town two and a half hours away. Spent a couple of nights so the kids could swim.

Bought a Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual today. I figured that I needed a light wire feed for some jobs. I can run the thing off my 300 amp welder on my service truck with flux core wire in the field if I need to.

Wrecked out a big job today and got a pita planting client out of the way... Lost my 562xp in the kerf of a big log and watched it sail to the ground :whine: Bar is folded almost 90 degrees, chain brake/clutch cover wrecked... Need to pull it apart and see if there is any other damage, fml.

Ugh, that sucks. Sorry about your saw man. . . At least you were not attached to it hey?

Lined up a medium size white pine takedown for a local contractor. Feel like I should have bid it higher. Said 4, should have said 6. :|:

He stays pretty busy, and it should lead to more work down the road.

Also bid out three plantings and some extensive deadwooding and inspections at another property.

Well... funny how things work out. I stayed home for the most part today. Ran a few errands and came home to a couple calls. Sold probably over 5k worth of work on my way to dropping off Lilly at ballet. So I'll go do the 1k job tomorrow I was supposed to do today... Like living in the twilight zone I tell ya. Now if I can just not have to deal with tree guys on meth... life would be good :lol:

I was super bummed, but truth to that! Not attached, would certainly have been unpleasant. No saw lanyards for me!
Nice Stephen, way to blow off work. Always seems to work out well that way for some reason!

Off to do bids tomorrow after getting D settled at preschool. One needs a City Road Obstruction, which is something I haven't done before. I have a Sidewalk Obstruction job in the final planning stage. Hassle. All bonds licenses and insurances are in place with the city already, so hopefully it will be easy. Three house service drop at another.i dislike scheduling work for specific days, weeks in advance, as with these.

On big cuts I often lanyard the saw to the spar or a limb...or if I am working in one area for awhile. Keeps the weight off me and lets the tree have the saw if it gets snatched (I know, it should never get snatched...folks shouldn't get hurt either but sheet happens).

And, yes, it does take a bit longer but since I am the boss I getz to do it...I'm just crazy that way. (MB :D)

Been texting and emailing for the better part of the day...TS (Hurricane) Fay went right over the top of Bermuda on Sunday.
Clients been sending me pictures and sob stories of multiple large trees down and shattered, I've been dispensing advice over the interwebs.
The eye went right over, sound like mini tornadoes in the eyewall...

If I had the money for a plane ticket, I could make it back in a couple days!

They have another one lining up for this weekend...Gustav, man, I hate it when Bermuda takes a pasting, but if you're there it can be good money.

On big cuts I often lanyard the saw to the spar or a limb...or if I am working in one area for awhile. Keeps the weight off me and lets the tree have the saw if it gets snatched (I know, it should never get snatched...folks shouldn't get hurt either but sheet happens).

And, yes, it does take a bit longer but since I am the boss I getz to do it...I'm just crazy that way. (MB :D)

Solid common sense.

Big day yesterday, I was beat when I got home. Went out to dump the chips today where I've been going for fifteen years and it was an empty lot.:?

I haven't been out for a couple of weeks as people have wanted the chips and I never go to the office, just go in the back. New underground train line is going through and they were in the way so have moved another few miles out. That wouldn't have mattered a couple of years ago but now it's an extra seven sets of traffic lights as well, nearly 2 hours round trip now, used to take less than an hour once.

If I had the money for a plane ticket, I could make it back in a couple days!

Was going to say I'd spot you a ticket until you got there and made some $$$'s but it's been a while since I priced flight ticket prices.:O

Moved equipment to jobsite this am. cut one small limb with hand saw and got stung on knuckle. hmmm...looked around...see nothing...cut second branch & got stung on what is now my big ear...

looded around some more...grab pole saw & rake it around ground a bit... ah...ground nest under a patch of ivy. Soaked it good & then starts the rain:|:

Little farts must have a healthy venom production system, ear is still throbbing like crazy. Can't wait to try putting on earmuffs...

I hate wasps. I do not react well to them either.

Rained off today so pottered about in the shed, did some shopping & walked the dog. Not too bad all told, but company I'm working for expect me to kill off the 3 day job I started Monday tomorrow. They need to dig deeper into there pockets to get that kind of day out of me!

Worst thing about rainy days is when the sun comes out as soon as you put the phone down to cancel it.
Ideally you want it to absolutely piss down for a guilt free day.

Yup. I get a terrible sense of guilt when at 11 AM the birds are chirping and the sun is shining. I ask myself if Im the only bum in town sitting home today.

What about when the custy calls you back at around 9:30 to say that the rain is all cleared up and suggests to come out and just start now. I'll admit Ive been a bit demotivated lately- mainly due to under pricing some larger work, annoying customers and machinery breakdowns-yesterday I was lying in bed at 5am goin "C'mon rain, c'mon rain". Quite out of character...

Dismantled a medium size silver maple over 5 sets of wires in the morning, then did some bucket and climb pruning on a lovely large white oak, as well as some other pruning.

Got a pepperidge takedown right over a river manana, gonna setup the machine to lift the brush and wood over the river. Should be fun :)

Back