How'd it go today?

Raining today, had a long spell of dry weather, uninterrupted work, bringing jobs in on time, making good money.

Hate the rain, especially in the morning before it gets light.

Off back to my home town of Huddersfield today for a few days. It will be nice to see family & friends as it has been a while. Looks like I will have a couple of days climbing there too, so not just a holiday.
Hope your back eases off Reg. I have to be kind to mine still & some carefull stretching really helps. Climbing daily does seem to have strengthened it quite a bit.

Nice barn, Stig. Have you lined up a source of hay yet? What kind of bales are available? Seems like the trend is to big squares over here. Still lots of small squares and round.

With 4½ acres of grass land, I can make plenty of hay for the horses.
I've found a guy with an old small bale presser, who'll bale it for me. Most use the 500 pds square bales around here, but I hate messing with those.
I put 200 small bales of straw and 100 of hay up on the hay loft this summer, so I should be good to make it almost through the winter.

Weird to be thinking along those lines again, after not having stock animals for over 10 years.

Off back to my home town of Huddersfield today for a few days. It will be nice to see family & friends as it has been a while. Looks like I will have a couple of days climbing there too, so not just a holiday.
Hope your back eases off Reg. I have to be kind to mine still & some carefull stretching really helps. Climbing daily does seem to have strengthened it quite a bit.
Have you got anything permanent lined up yet?

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Reg. Some years back, my back would act up a lot and I was always amazed how climbing would make it go away. Hard to figure.

Good luck with the crane work. If the op is entrusted with the hundo ton, he's probably smooth. Voice comms will help a lot.

Tight maple

Took down this half dead maple with very limited space to work with. Had the power lines turned off, reached it all from the bucket, ziplined most into a space, and hand held/chucked the rest. All done nothing broken by 4.30 :) :thumbup:

Attachments

• maplwtite2.jpg
    maplwtite2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 59
  • maplwtite.jpg
    maplwtite.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 59
I went and checked a prune job we did this spring. It is coming along fine, and as with any real good prune job, you can hardly tell we've been there.

P1010845.JPG

I got the new carb for the Jeep .Helped a lot but it still isn't exactly right .It's only a matter of time.I'll get it eventually .

Wrapped up this big urban logging show, final clean-up and out the doe. door. I'll be interested to find out what the logs scaled out to. Neighbor with the access wanted a bid. Possibly in part as a play to get better clean-up, for future work. I'll give him a number. I underbid this three tree, and brushout underneath, job. At least, impressed and satisfied customers and neighbors...let the referral work come, now.

Underbidding sucks, it's hard to be fair without selling yourself short the odd time. Just gotta push through it and move on, like it sounds like you have.

I've been having a crazy time still of late. A real revolving door it's become around here. I pay good money but I can't compete with up north dollar wise. A common issue around here. I'm a month and a half away from my carpal tunnel surgery too. Was hoping to have a competent cutter/climber in place. Looking slim for that.

What happened to the top guy from the competior who folded?

He's going north for the winter which is traditionally slow here. The bigger draw is the money. There's a relatively short window of time in the winter that trails can be cut/fell for the oil patch and they pay large.

Wants to come back in the spring he says. It's to bad he's a real capable individual. I started him at a good wage and told him to talk to me if it didn't work for him. Gave me proper notice and whatnot.

I've been having some mechanical issues too. Sucks. I'm still doing well though and my new ground guy sis working out good so far.

Real capable individuals=Real hard to find. You can't teach it.

Back