How'd it go today?

Maybe there was a bit of showmanship there, I doubt whether there are two climbers who do things exactly the same.
A tree surgery crew crew is a bit of a wolf pack with an alpha male, it's just a bit of circling round butt sniffing.

As a climber I don't think I would pull any rope set untill I knew I wouldn't have a use for one to be there.
Nothing but phone calls this am thunder and black clouds galore can do estimates and maybe fit something in!

I do respect a climbers right to use their own gear or techniques, but pulling a preset line out in favour of spurring up with no overhead tie in is kinda dumb.

The smart thing to do in that situation would be to use the original line to pull your own system in IMO.

I was on a job for another co years ago, two day takedown, the climber pulled all his kit at the end of the first day. I got there a bit early the next day, so I thought I'd help him out by getting a throw line into the crotch he tied into the previous day. When the climber showed up he very nicely said thanks but no thanks, and spiked up. It was a really awkward climb too. Never understood that attitude, if there's an easier way I'll take it every time.

What works for you, doesnt work for others, and vice versa.

Do you guys climb blind on a tie in that you cant see, that someone you really dont know set?

Couldnt see the tie in, and he doesnt know me too well or know what I deem safe or unsafe. I dont want to defend him just because he is my guy, but armchair quarterbacks need to look at a bigger picture. Whats dangerous about fliplining up a tree? You arent operating a saw so i dont want to hear about 2 points of attachment. Sorry to be a dick, but theres more to a tree job then the 2 sentences I give you. If someone decides they feel safer not running off a rope you set, or a tie in you set, maybe they're safer then the guy that decides over the internet that he will suspend himself off any rope that dangles out of a tree........

Do you guys climb blind on a tie in that you cant see, that someone you really dont know set?

Couldnt see the tie in, and he doesnt know me too well or know what I deem safe or unsafe. I dont want to defend him just because he is my guy, but armchair quarterbacks need to look at a bigger picture. Whats dangerous about fliplining up a tree? You arent operating a saw so i dont want to hear about 2 points of attachment. Sorry to be a dick, but theres more to a tree job then the 2 sentences I give you. If someone decides they feel safer not running off a rope you set, or a tie in you set, maybe they're safer then the guy that decides over the internet that he will suspend himself off any rope that dangles out of a tree........

I totally get what your saying, but some people seem to get so set in their ways they ignore the obvious.

Fwiw there are ways to check a TIP from the ground, and best practice here is to set a climbing line rather than just spurring up on a flip line. There are far more accidents when changing over while climbing past a limb then there are TIPs set from the ground failing.

I came off strong earlier. In my working career, Ive learned that we all do things differently. Ive seen AWESOME climbers constantly do certain shit that makes me scratch my head. Just stuff that looks to me like they are making their own job harder. Im pretty sure I have a few ways I could make my job easier or safer. I dont always set lines first, i one hand saws, etc...... What Im getting at is usually i dont look to far into certain things. If someone doesnt want to ascend a straight spar on my climb line I set, I dont really care. There's no harm in flipping up on a lanyard, and as long as they move fluently and dont free climb, I wont bust balls or judge. A book might call it better to do it a certain way, but that book doesnt pay me or my bills. Free climbing I wouldnt tolerate. But ascending on a lanyard is fine. If lanyards were dangerous, we wouldnt use them.

Maybe there was a bit of showmanship there, I doubt whether there are two climbers who do things exactly the same.
A tree surgery crew crew is a bit of a wolf pack with an alpha male, it's just a bit of circling round butt sniffing.

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glazed the snot out of my second rigging line with about 2 weeks.... This is getting expensive. :(

I might have to try that new stuff that Treestuff has that doesn't melt as easy.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

This is a funny quote. I agree, I have worked on a lot of crews. Usually as lead. Sometimes I'll yield alpha status (whatever that is) to someone else for the sake of diplomacy with certain personalities or job site specific dynamics. Funny though, outward yielding of"alpha status" does not necessarily mean that I don't still feel like the REAL Alpha. I'm such a silly little immature man. I almost offend myself. The quest for humility and genuine outgoing concern is a bigger task (for me) than any removal I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he ripped a wheelie up the tree just fine doing it his way. To each their own. A climber should only do what makes them comfortable, and that varies greatly amongst us.

Haha, you gotta love it, rippin the wheelie. Only thing I would be concerned about is if he is not tied in full time. I think we all know some of the best climbers have taken bad falls when they slipped or something broke when they were temporarily not tied it.

I would can a guy on the spot for free climbing. I can not think of any reason aside from navigating tight limbed conifers to free climb.

I worked for a line clearance company briefly when I was 21 and the boss/owner told me one day he felt my lanyard was slowing me down and he would prefer I free climb. Told me production was everything and I was waisting my time and his money by using my lanyard to get up the tree.

That's the way it was, in the day. I think we all used to free climb the hail outta most everything. Let's face it, it is very fast, in the short term at least. When I decided to stop free climbing, it was a pretty huge change to swallow, accepting the slow down.

Education has it's price. I know guys that still free climb a lot, simply because they don't know of anything much different. I was talking to a climber recently about maybe wanting to use two tie ins when he was cutting. I didn't know him and really tried to be polite and lead up to the subject. He was polite himself in his one sentence response, but I might as well have been talking to the moon.

Butch do you get into blue spruces or norway spruces down your way? Some of them would take a year to get up if you stayed connected.

I know a guy that free climbs. He also carries this little step thing that he screws into the tree if he has nothing to climb up or stand on.

Back