How'd it go today?

Nice one Bermy! ;)

I worked on 160 acres today trimming branches over dirt road so they can get a mobile home back to the pad...SRTed 6 blue oaks and one live oak...oh, did I mention it was over 100 deg's and ants and mosquitos were biting? Those oaks were loaded with ants, I must have woke them up at 6:30am while setting line, they were peaved! lol

I was assualted by a battalion of mosquitos at an estimate tonight. Down along a creek. Pretty sure I locked the work too. Ill have to bring bug spray that day.

Emergency work all day from some thunderstorms and possible tornado. whooped!
y9ary3yn.jpg
egy3uqyv.jpg
tehavutu.jpg

Post a few more in the work pic thread.
Three weeks out this won't help, put on ground only staged for loader on Wed.

Nice one Bermy! ;)

I worked on 160 acres today trimming branches over dirt road so they can get a mobile home back to the pad...SRTed 6 blue oaks and one live oak...oh, did I mention it was over 100 deg's and ants and mosquitos were biting? Those oaks were loaded with ants, I must have woke them up at 6:30am while setting line, they were peaved! lol

Gotta love the red velvety tree ants... fuggers! LOL
This is their time of year oh boy!

Had an emergency call Sunday around 3 pm was in the middle of painting my trucks.
So I has to go there w/ no equip to save this tree/ homeowner from causing any more damage. He tried to fall a rotted poplar tree check it out . Finished around dark:30
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Looks like the homeowner cut a notch out of the only good wood in the tree...
Bet his ass was puckered...

I just got approached by a beekeeper who'd like to keep 20 hives on a corner of my property. The plus to me is the pollinating and about 20pds of honey each fall. I think it'd be interesting to have them around. I'm quite a private person but the fellow seemed to be decent. I'll have to talk to the wife and sleep on it.

Gotta love the red velvety tree ants... fuggers! LOL
This is their time of year oh boy!

Ha, yes!

Ive noticed early morning there heading down tree, going to look for food so they all over trunk/branches, loads of them little biters, an hour or so later theres just a few floaters here and there, not so bad :eek3: then I put my helmet on the ground while taking break and ants swarming it...cant catch a break lol :lol:

Man o man did we bang out some work today. The new climber is going to put me under the gun to produce enough work to keep him rolling. We went to a job yesterday and he just jumped out and put his climbing gear on. i asked if he wanted to look at the tree first and then gear up. He just shrugged and said "Nah, I'm taking it down either way. Why make a trip back to the truck?" He really knows how to smoke a tree. He has a natural climber. What i mean by that is he move so comfortably through a tree that it just appears effortless to him. he has some killer balance. i studied him awhile in the tree today and work positioning just comes to him with no effort. He doesnt constantly fight to find a sweet spot and constantly fidget with his rope and lanyard to get comfortable. Just sort of bopping along in the tree at ease and comfortable. Todays work was bid as a day and a quarter job. With me and groudie on the ground, mini skid, and new climber in the tree, we were unhooking the chipper at the yard and punching out at 2 this afternoon. Im going to adjust my bids. Im not going to cut my own throat, but Im going to be a little more competitive. I want to start scarfing up work in more volume.

New climber even told me, "Dont feel like you need to be at the job. Im used to getting handed work orders in the morning and rolling back into the yard at the end of the day. if you need to be out bidding work, I dont need you around. Just give me a good guy or two and I'll keep everything moving". I know his last boss and he ran the show for that company for the last 15 years. He is costing me more then I ever paid anyone, but Im seeing my gross and net jump already. Its not that he can climb much better then me, but more the fact that I can be doing more for the business when im able to break away from the tree. I can be running to dump chips while brush still gets dragged or mini'd. I can go and look at work for 2 neighbors while the tree is still coming down. More just gets done since he started when Im not glued to the tree. I hope, and I mean hope, we can make this last for some time. This is a game changer. Plus with my injured back, I can focus on getting that taken care of without beating myself harder in the tree and struggling through the pain. I WILL be back in the gaffs. But for now, its best I dont.

And my ramps kicked out while I was loading mini in the dump trailer. Kicked out as I crested into the dump trailer out of the street. That wasnt funny or fun. It dropped down backwards pointing straight up in the air.

That's AWESOME about the new guy. There's nothing better than what you described, having a good climber on the crew. Money maker and fun to watch him do his thing, too!

I was always the main climber for years and I "don't know how I did it" cuz you can't manage chit from up in the tree. Better to be doing 101 things on the ground, for the most part.

And I'm sure you will be back in saddle when it's time, but you are right, to have the option of staying on the ground while you heal up is priceless.

How come the guy left his old company? How old is he? Is he more old school or new school, gear-wise?

He left company because after many years he and the owner were just starting to butt heads and have difference in perspective. He is 35. Old school.

A length of cable on the bottom of the ramp that you hook to the back of the truck helps. That's the way my ATV ramps work.

My old school climber uses a blake on the tail with no hitch tender. For real. Hard to insist he makes changes when he's getting it done fast. More effort, less f-ck*ng around with gear.

Ash removals & bucking what wouldn't make beams into 14" firewood for me the last two days. Finished 7 yesterday and spent today on one about 40" dbh. Have another day there later this week yet as things get added on...par for this customer...I do 3-4 days per year for him around the farm. He's getting a bit up in age so doesn't get around good enough to cut all his own firewood any more.

Had an audience of about 50 Angus this am 'till I got the saw going.

Taut line? No hitch tender pulley?

Tautline on the tail of his hi-vee. Pretty much as old school as it gets. Nice saddle and lanyard set up and nice gaffs. Just old school. I was noticing he doesnt rely on his climb line a ton. He ties in and works, but really favors his lanyard work work positioning. Im the opposite. He ties in, but the tie in seems to be his secondary anchor. Usually a light belly in it. Not a dangerous sag, but he doesnt bop around the tree on a tight skinning line. I do.

Back