How'd it go today?

Had a bit of a storm down here, 3 years and a day after our last big storm. I have all the trees off the houses that I've been called for and told to do, have 2 more to look at in the morning, then a couple jobs of clearing fences and the like, then the misc cleanup work. Blowing and going, the ex and ctl are getting some time put on them, they are monsters for banging out work at an amazing rate... tough on the soaked lawns though.

Craned out three 80' cottonwoods, subbing for a buddy today. Two climbers in the tree made quick rigging/cuts. Sore now.

Finished a canopy raise on a big doug-fir that had been topped. Over the house and lots of rhoadies. Good 60' spread, or more. Interesting rigging. Had to do a bronco ride a little bit limb walked out about 30' on limbs 8" or so on the butt. standing on one, lanyarded into another, trying not to fall off, or under my lower limb. Actually pushed the lower limb sideways enough to chunk bits down right next to the house. Wobbly wobbly.

Topped trees like that, 20 years later, make for interesting spreading tree climbing in a fir. There were times were I was pretty much off my climbing line (SRT/ HH, naturally), and had my full weight on this limb, after stripping some weight off on the way out, where it was about 4" and 25' out. Wood amazes me time and again. Those were tight growth ring limbs, for sure.

Been is a couple bigger ones lately, but not too high up.

Bee tree removal this morning with crane. Went the at dark last night to seal them in......
May the force be with us.......

First day in a while to have Dahlia taken care of for the day, and I don't have anything exactly I have to do, while I have lots I will do, starting with a massage on my shoulder and psoas (always tight in climbers). My Massage Therapist's dad used to be a tree climber until about 50 y.o.. She maintains that tree climbers have a rope-like quality unlike anybody else. Taut muscles that are hard to pin down and get to release, rather they move out of the way. Massage work is very helpful for our line or work. A good tax-deductable hook-up for yourself, or an employee. Our bodies need it.

Finished planting 29000 Sitka spruce.
Some rain would be good right around now.

1000 trees per man per day, usually. ( I din't say I planted them all today, just that we finished today;))

A transplant spade, since the ground is level here.

One of my wealthy customers approached me about wanting to plant a dozen 30 foot trees. No. Not touching that one.

Had an upset homeowner, all because I wouldn't cut a 50 foot section of trunk, about 20 inch in diameter out of the center of the crown of a 90 foot walnut, to top the tree, even though it was my TIP that I was planning on using to reduce the crown. Despite the heavy winds, he wanted the entire tree topped there and then, no exceptions....... I lowered myself, packed everything up and left.

Thanks! Life can be really short if you cut your TIP. It amazed me the guy couldn't understand that it was the highest and most solid trunk to work from. I understood his desire to reduce the height, but he couldn't understand that you work your way around the outside of the tree, he wanted 6 or 7 major branches(over 18 inches) cut in one piece and let it drop onto lower branches he wanted to keep..... i just couldn't compute his demands....

Did he ask for a guarantee? Make it happen Captn.

Didn't make it that far in the conversation. He and I get along well because I limit the amount of work I do at once for him. I keep it light and do bits and pieces here and there. He is insanely wealthy and is known to flip his lid when things don't go his way. I wont touch it, guarantee or not. One of those trees dies for reasons beyond my control he will come after me, regardless of contract. Will he win, who knows. Will it cost me money to find out, yes. Let the grower plant them. They are geared for that work. Im not.

Plus he lets me have exclusive hunting permission on his estate which is known through the area as a sanctuary for some big bucks. I like to keep things sweet with him and not lose that.

Back