How'd it go today?

I don't think that would happen here, Jay. I once saw an ad in the Truck Paper for a Dodge wrecker. It said dealer owned since new. It was a Ford dealer.:lol: I wish I had saved the ad.

Wow, so he only is able to work it like 7 or 8 months per year?? If so, that is another hefty reason for the high hourly charge.

And why are there road restrictions? Is it because winter and snow and temp fluctuations weaken the pavement and make it more vulnerable to damage from heavy trucks? I'm curious about that and also wondering if the same concept relates to driveways- I've got a crane job coming up where a 33t needs to go in a neighbor's crappy-looking paved driveway, wondering if it is more risky now during "pothole season", even though it is only one trip in and out, at slow speed.

This is a secondary road our main highways restrictions don't ever go on. But secondary roads drop to 70percent of axle ratings due to the spring saturation.

Guaranteed you are more likely to do damage while the grounds wet.

This company rolls nine cranes like I said, four of them are big link belts. 50,75,90, and 100 ton.

Road restrictions are nescessary here as logging trucks often pass through secondary roads to get to the highway. Seven and eight axle logging trucks are the standard set up here. Heavy. I should take more pics of the logging stuff around here. There are literally hundreds of logging trucks around here.

Got back from vacation today to find a message on my machine from the owner of the big local tree service here in Marquette. He said my name had come across his desk a few times and he wanted to have a little meet and greet over the phone. Pretty cool. Weird too, since my only advertising has been the bump on the ISA website, and a little card I put up at the food co-op. Anyways, I called him back today, but he wasen't there.

I want to let him know that I'm not going to try and steal his bussiness, in fact I'll be pretty well positioned to throw him some referrals (not that he needs my help). And I'd like to give him my work phone in case they are up this way and need emergency assistance. . .

Anyways, just thought that was pretty cool. Have a great weekend everyone!

That happened to me when I started my business. I politely declined. The wage offered, was, well, insulting really.

dog off to sitter - check
clothes packed, tools, & coffee stuff packed - check

Ready to leave for Job tomorrow morning. Be gone for a few days at least.

About 70 trees on first job, then move farther north to bigger one.

Boss did a little weeding out of employees this week. Probably have at least one new guy start Monday...We'll see how that goes...:/:

Don;'t know if I'll have the net or where we are going to stay yet.

I spent the better part of two years straight on the road trimming utility lines, changed companies and went almost immediately down to Texas for Hurricane Ike for a couple more months. :|:

Not really looking forward to it but it is what it is...

Have a couple recording projects I have to put on hold while I'm gone, Cut a quick fiddle track for some guys this week but felt rushed to get it done. and not happy with it. Hope I can redo it when I get back. Didn't manage to lay down any of the Banjo stuff I was supposed to. Ah well....

Due to the ridiculous nature of cows, I now have a cow with a rope on her foot running about the pasture. She's not greatly bothered by it really.
As some of you may know, cows cant get up off the ground when their head is pointed down hill when laying on their side, or when just laying down naturally sometimes. Usually I would just grab a leg or tail and swing them around, unless the cow is kicking wildly. So, you put a rope on the leg you can catch and swing em around, sacrificing the rope but saving a 1800 dollar cow, as she will die if not righted. Good thing she was friendly, farm and ranch accidents kill about 1000 Americans annually.

Cows are silly animals.:|:

This country gets more and more ridiculous, I'm glad to be leaving.
I was contacted by a guy who is setting up a mega zipline in the park of our castle.
He needed a Big shot, but couldn't buy one, because as of now, you need a weapons permit to buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So he asked if I could help him out.
I got on the line to Nick at Treestuff and one is on the way ( Along with some other stuff that I just had to have)
No-one at customs will know a line launcher is illegal, so no problem getting it in, I think.

Was treated GREAT by Nick, what a pleasure doing business with him.:)

The bigshot is technically illegal here in Hong Kong too. Noone seems to have a problem shipping them in and using them, though.

Groundman is gone as of today. Im in the midst of trying to hire another groundie/basic climber, and in the process lost my right hand man. So I want from trying to bring in my guns, to having none. Im kind of screwed at the moment.

It will pass Chris. Without worry or strife is another story. I was looking at zero income for two months up until two weeks before my surgery. Lucky for me my helper from this summer broke up with his girl. So he's back from Tn and I have a menial income at best, but I am still on the road daily for all eyes to see.

Once you figure out the logistics of that new mini and transport, you'll be surprised at what you can do alone. I hate working alone, but income is income.

I can work alone for a brief period. I can pick through my jobs and bang out the dummie jobs. Its why I had to dismiss him that crushes me. Addiction. I hate it. Such a good kid. A hard worker. Respectful of my business. A joy to spend the days working with. Out of nowhere he did a 180 on me and wandered down a dark road over the winter and it has become evident since we went back to work. I had to let him go for his own safety. He leveled with me and spent 2 hours talking with me and crying his eyes out. He is not healthy right now. I begged him to let me take him to rehab. I offered to get him into rehab and handle breaking the news to his family. He wont do it. He is insistent on trying to conquer this on his own. My heart if absolutely broken. Tears ran down my face today and Im not ashamed to admit it. Such a good kid and now I worry how long he will be alive.......

I love my workers. The ones that I allow to remain after trying them out, become family to me. They are important to me. This situation has my wife and I devastated.

Well that my friend is a whole different ball game. Good on you for trying to help and bring some light to that dark tunnel. The same thing happened with a good guy I had two yrs ago, except I just told him to go. He'd already been through one tree co and two wife's in Conn. He knew what his problem was. Good luck man.

Back