How'd it go today?

I'm not certain adult turkeys have much problem with preditors .Maybe a smart coyote might catch one on the ground .From the air I doubt a ted tail hawk or a great horned owl .Possible though .That bald eagle flying around might stand a chance .I think that big bird is more prone to rabbits,fish and such .Since the turkeys were reintroduced some 15 years ago they seem to be doing quite well .

I started a two day job trimming five med-lg live oaks, luckily with a lift.

I'm bushed... I'd love to know how many cuts I made today!

I remember TC stained some concrete with fruit; pears or plums or something... The homeowner became upset and demanded that she remedy the situation. She was asking for advice here. Always wondered how that turned out. At this rate we will never know.

I'm not certain adult turkeys have much problem with preditors .Maybe a smart coyote might catch one on the ground .From the air I doubt a ted tail hawk or a great horned owl .Possible though .That bald eagle flying around might stand a chance .I think that big bird is more prone to rabbits,fish and such .Since the turkeys were reintroduced some 15 years ago they seem to be doing quite well .

Turkeys have natural enemies. bobcat, fox, coyote.

Switched to driving my old pickup today. Called in for insurance, "breezed" through Sec. of State in a mere 2 1/2 hours, bought & installed new battery, filled with mid-grade, and took her for a spin.

Runs ok but going to get it tuned up and have a new throttle sensor installed.

I'd forgotten how Ford makes trucks to fit short people...feel like I'm sitting on the floor...typical but I'll get used to it.

My adrenaline was high this morning. I has a rotten maple to drop, the other holoow drum co-dominant stem already ripped off in a storm. Used a spring board to get over the big butt and to get some height up into some more sound wood for the hinge. I assembled the springboard onsite today (not in advance, and not tested). It bent the cleat a bit, so it wasn't really secure, plus it was short. Just grabbed a piece of vertical grain fir I had around. Chained that leaning F*^ker, I tell you what. I bored it, as I trusted the large ivy vine on the back side, more than the rotten tension wood. It was the largest ivy vine I've ever seen, 4" if it was anything. I should have taken a cookie. All's well that fells well. Took me back to State Parks days, except more intense, for whatever reason. Erik commented on it, as I guess I was breathing pretty heavily. I got some helmet cam footage, and Erik has to brighten up a cell phone video. Yay! Put on ground only.

Pruned some other trees.

Scoped more nasty removals.

Had a pre-preschool meeting with other parents in our 2.5 hour weekly class at our cooperative preschool. Going to build them a log sandbox.

Sean, Glad it turned out well. :thumbup: I remember dropping one or two trees where my adrenalin had me actually shaking while making cuts. Huge relief when it goes the way it was planned! ;)

I poured concrete a couple inches thick at one of the local playground sandboxes. We put some dinosaurs tracks and bone marks in the wet concrete then filled when it was dry. Kids love finding fossils.

Very cool Bud!

Got both trucks cleaned out today and stuff mostly all organized and into the pickup. Still debating on how I want to carry GRCS, ropes, helmets, and climbing gear. Well.....ok, I got the saws, small tools & extra chains in the tool box and chaps behind the seat.:|:

Sent a package to Japan via USPS. Cost less than I figured it would:)

Locked up a deal today on a big for around here crane job. Won't happen until late May though so plenty of time to worry the details. lol.

Got a customer to agree to hire a $440/hr crane!

What's a $440 an hour crane look like? A friend of mine has a 30T on a triaxle Peterbilt and he's $540 for a half a day, or was a year or so ago. That was port to port.

It looks big! Gotta remember too those are canuck dollars and in a place where this company with nine cranes has no local comp in the large crane department. With no jib it'll pick 4t 90' out and 80ish' up.

Late May so road restrictions are off otherwise it doesn't roll.

I'd love to have a crane. Straight treework would never support one. It's a ticketed trade up here. Without the apprenticeship and ticket, no insurance.

Crane jobs aren't plentiful here. It'll be the 1st time I've worked with this company. Real nice fella that met me at the jobsite today. We were in the same page on a lot of things.

I used to be able to hire a 22 ton with nearly a 100' of boom for $150/hr. But he folded. Sold the truck off

Here yup. And for booms like on my forestry bucket truck too. We're big into safety in Canada.

It's good, but some of its a joke. Anything I'm trusting my life to I'm having a thorough and regular look at myself. X-raying of critical welds is important. Finds cracks you'd never see.

Here they collect taxes at the same time as inspections. Cars are on two year inspections, trucks generally annual. My K truck is five or six hundred for the inspection and taxes, My larger diesel was about a grand. I can imagine a crane to be three or four thousand for it every year. Those charges are without any additional repair costs. I think in mucho years, I have only seen a vehicle broken down on the side of the road once or twice. Inspections are what keep some shops afloat, since car manufacturing started making ones that don't break down. All in all I think the inspections are a bit of a scam for passenger cars and trucks. I wouldn't complain if it was based on mileage. If your car sits unused for the period between inspections, you still have to take it in and pay up. It would never fly out west.

Inspections don't start here until above 8200kg.

Over here we get a lot of Japanese import passenger vehicles. You guys have a time limit on vehicles over there or something?

Interesting question. No time limit, but cars are a reflection of people's status, that and maybe their TV, so rather than appear a person in need, people will go out on a limb to get new . When I fisrt came here I couldn't believe all the new cars on the road, it dazzled your eyes. Another thing is that after you buy a car, after like three or four years, the dealer sales people will start calling you up and hounding you to come in and have a look at new models. We bought a Nissan years ago, and when the guy started to call me up every few months at my shop, I told him to stop. i didn't want to be impolite, because I know that orders come from above. So what's he do, starts calling my house to bug my wife. Pissed me off, and once when I was home I told him that we loved the car, but when it needed to be replaced, the last thing in the world I would do would be to buy a Nissan. A weak willed person would be a slave to the car dealer. He did stop calling after that. We drove that car for twenty years and all it ever needed was tires and a fan belt.

I'll tell you the lamest thing in the world that is hard to believe. If you work for a dealership and don't drive that brand, they usually won't let you use the parking lot. A friend told me his daughter drove a Volkswagon and she worked for Toyota. She couldn't use the company lot, had to park down the street and go there at night to get her car to go home, in the rain or snow, whatever. It is very common. if that was my daughter, I'd be down at that dealers in a flash to let the manager know my opinion about that, even though it would get her fired no doubt. People here, they just shrug their shoulders. In the US, I bet someone would take that to court.

Like working for a Chevy dealer and being unpatriotic enough to drive an import.
I think that would depend on where in the US you were doing it.

Late May so road restrictions are off otherwise it doesn't roll.

Wow, so he only is able to work it like 7 or 8 months per year?? If so, that is another hefty reason for the high hourly charge.

And why are there road restrictions? Is it because winter and snow and temp fluctuations weaken the pavement and make it more vulnerable to damage from heavy trucks? I'm curious about that and also wondering if the same concept relates to driveways- I've got a crane job coming up where a 33t needs to go in a neighbor's crappy-looking paved driveway, wondering if it is more risky now during "pothole season", even though it is only one trip in and out, at slow speed.

Back