How'd it go today?

Cancelled the climbing 'cos of wind and rain, brought forward some grinding that had been on the books for a while. Finished early so bought a couple of trees for a planting job tomozz, awful weather forecast for Wednesday.

I redid a bunch of chains today, feeling pretty stupid.
We needed a bunch of 30" chains for cutting stormthrown trees free for the harvester.
Cutting close to, and occasionally into, the ground, uses a lot of chain.
So we made them 97 links, because that fit the old Stihl 30" bar, that Richard had.
Then bought some more bars, only to find that Stihl had changed the design, so they now fit 98 links.
So I had to cut all the chains,insert one link and rivet them again...............................................aaaaaaarrrrggggghhh!!!!

Holy shit snacks! That is an ugly for certain Rajan...!!

Me... I got two easy removals today. I deserved it after that last Sum Beach..
Take live oak off roof using the black oak to remove as well.. Does not get much better than this save for bombing it. HO clean up :D

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 51
Nice Stephen.

Rajan that looks nasty.

Working in snow here today. Yeehaw. A couple of trims today willow, maple, and mountain ash. As well as a English walnut removal to keep the killing alive!

The old guy that complained to the city office yesterday about the crane blocking the road, wasn't satisfied with them coming out to investigate. so he called the cops today and they came out and shut us down, but the day was 2/3 over by then. The cops were decent enough I guess, just following procedure when there is no closure permit. No fine, just some wasted time. Went and got a permit, the paperwork charge is around $25. Good to go tomorrow all nice and legal. The complainer lives a few doors down, hope he gets rattled when he sees us out there again working with the road blocked. I'm betting he thinks he stopped the job permanently. :lol: Hard to believe a guy like that, a new neighbor to him moved in and wants the trees removed for safety, and he makes a big ruckus. I saw his old lady out there taking photos when the cops were there, it must have given them a thrill.

Holy shit snacks! That is an ugly for certain Rajan...!!

Me... I got two easy removals today. I deserved it after that last Sum Beach..
Take live oak off roof using the black oak to remove as well.. Does not get much better than this save for bombing it. HO clean up :D

Damn roof huggers!

Hi, I followed the gist of this with some interest.
Now, is the bloke a PITA? Answer Yes.
Is he a busy body who will delight in the fact that he shut you down for an afternoon? Answer yes.
Could this situation have been avoided if you had talked to him at the first meeting plus helped him get his car turned round instead of sitting there? Very possibly.
Just saying like, it was an option.:D
Ps this is in reply to woodworkingguy.

La becasse, I can appreciate that option, but my current assessment is that he drove past the barricades looking for trouble. He got out of his car barking very uncivil like, never asked if we had a permit, and he might have made enquiries or wanted to explain himself before barging into no man's land. Like I said, I didn't have a clue what he was doing, I mean who drives non stop up to a foot or two away from a large crane completely blocking the road? It was a challenge. Since he seemed so sure of himself getting in, let him do that on the way out too, I didn't want to interfere, and I think I was courteous enough continuing to quietly eat my lunch. :lol: Speaking with one of the neighbors, it appears that he is known as the street idiot. I have some pull with the cops these days, being on the civilian body that overseas their activities. On the qt one said to me, "Look, I know you guys are out here working, but you just have to know that there are people like that", i.e. get a permit. I believe he had spoken to the gentleman, and on his own knew what was going on, but hadn't heard the part where the guy rammed my lunch table with his car. Anyway it was a pretty minor thing, but ended up a bit inconveniencing having to knock off two hours early.

Right, MB, I have a growing list of rather odd friends.

Wellllllll....

On our way home last night from Cub Scouts... WE had a weeeeeee issue with the van AKA Magic Bus.
Transmission went kaput. 1st... 2nd... no 3rd or 4th. Just got it home.
SO we are working through our local dealer (the one we bought the van through) for a used econo car replacement for now.
Looks like a bright yellow Nissan Sentra is going to be taking its place in the driveway in the next couple days.. Would fit right in Willies fleet :lol:
Not all that thrilled about it and we were trying to save up for a newer truck for her and the kids. Oh well :dontknow:

Looks a little like this... Somebody had some black strips and stuff added so it looks more like Bumblebee though:|:
39CA9810-C931-409A-AA09-4F5B6DFF2299_12.jpg

Finished a good rigging job. Two maples between/ over houses. Covered glass covered porch/ walkway with plywood, along with skylight. Did some truck pull lift and lowers down into this hole between the houses.

Today was the second maple, tighter drop.

Came sooo close to breaking the glass/ walkway blocking down the stem at the bottom. Tagged the plywood which overhung by 6" with a 150-ish pound piece. Slight wobble pushing it off after snapcutting it.

Got some pic today. See if I can get them off my phone.

Oh, they want to now go after the biggest, but not so spreading maple, even more downhill, over the neighbor's old glass atrium. Old man is 90 something and has outlived his resources. He doesn't care what happens to the trees, so long as my custy is paying. A big benefit to both houses. Slight chance of doing a motorized Arbor Trolley pull with brush up the hill. Its hella uneven, and there will be stumps, but it might be worth flushing stumps and doing some slight dirt work to save an uphill human powered drag.

The old small property line trees that grew up and over the houses. Probably only 10' between houses, with a 60' spread, reaching out for the sun, moreso on one side. Had one to tip and butt tie, cut, then set it down on the roof gently and cut it apart.

Ruined the nose on the 200t yesterday. New 192t got the job done. Pick up two new bars for the 200t tomorrow. Back up. oh, and a 200t fuel cap for back-up.

Wrapped up a job, the first time working with the guy that brought in the work, and I like him a lot. Nice fellow, controlled and easy going along with being a hard and consistent worker. He payed me more than I had asked, and I'm looking forward to further good associations. Just a side note to this.... The neighbor that had interrupted our job with complaints to the city office and police, showed up himself again after lunch, taking photos of the mini in the road and what else, i guess he had some further complaints in mind. He asked us how we could be making such a disturbance and be ruining the environment so? He had three rather disgruntled tree workers at the end of a hard three day job all over him in an instant this time. We had the road closure permit in the truck. I think he felt intimidated by the response, after going past the signs saying to keep out and danger. The immediate neighbor told me that the old guy is a doctor, or was one. That neighbor gave me some fresh vegetables to take home and commented how thankful they were to be relieved of their fears from tall leaning trees, just to compare. Never ran into anyone so extreme as the complainer, one for the book. Possibly a mental problem there...

Got to go back and finish this ugly stick today... That felt good!
Katy got all the paper work done on the new/used Bumblebee. They still owe us a couple tires and a motor mount.
Everyone STILL has a cold. Bonfire tomorrow...
Hitch Hiker is a dream to work on.... Thanks again Paul for all you do man!
IMG_20131107_102034.jpg IMG_20131107_124555.jpg IMG_20131107_132718.jpg IMG_20131107_132734.jpg

No junk was squished on this job.....

Back