How'd it go today?

Speaking of hard working, I took the day off. My wife and I went to Kenko (healthy) land! Kind of a big old place where you pay to get in, then have the use of around ten or so different baths, a number of them being outside in a nicely landscaped garden. The pools have different ingredients, minerals or herbs and such, one has a floating log in it, some wood that is supposed to be good for you, or maybe just for the scent. Most of the pools have a jacuzzi going in them. Also they have saunas and steam baths and some other arrangements like a hot floor room that you can crash out on. Professional massage is available. Other areas with relaxing features covering two stories. Also there are a number of restaurants inside with inexpensive good food and lots of varieties of cold beer or other drink. The place is all super clean and well attended to very professionally run, fresh towels everywhere plus a private little areas to wash up in the main bath area. Ladies come in to check the water temperatures of the baths quite regular, everything is closely monitored. The cold pool has a little waterfall. They give you a locker with a change of leisurely relaxing attire so you can get in and out of the baths if you want to walk around the place and eat or just relax or whatever. Kind of like silk pajamas. 8) Easily spend a number of hours in there or all day and night if you want. There are also places to sleep. It really is a family atmosphere, people bring their kids. The men and women are segregated bathing, of course nude. After a few hours in there, time takes on a new dimension, the world changes. Super relaxing. Public bathing is down to a fine art in places like that, and everyone respects the manners that are required. No weird stuff like in San Francisco. :O Too bad they can't have places like that in other countries, wonder why? I don't go very often, but i do love the place. Everyone inside is cruising around all relaxed and stuff, and all the staff is very courteous. They know how to run such a business, and really the place to go if you are tired or stressed.

By the way, if you have never experienced such public bathing, men usually walk around inside the bath while holding their wash towel over their privates. It isn't like required or anything, but it does help to mostly keep it from being a totally hang loose affair. After a few hours inside though, nothing about nudity really matters.

After time in the Marine Corps, I lost all my shame and distaste for nude men. I think we partied naked one time.

Yeah, thanks for responding. It is really nothing, not an ounce of sexual innuendo have I ever experienced after years and years. They generally have a sign at such places somewhere, saying that people with a lot of tattoos should keep out, referring to men and women. It's a throwback to the Yakuza gangs not wanted. I don't think it is any longer relevant with the tats fashion trend going on, but sometimes the signs are still up. Some gangsters will come in anyway, and people will be afraid to say anything, the hot springs just want to extend the general idea that they aren't welcomed. I sad down next to Yakuza once at the wash up location, though the place was very crowded, nobody else would. We had an interesting little chat, both being outsiders, so to speak. He seemed quite alright.

Public baths used to have more of a function than just bathing, and to the extent that they still exist, they are a place where neighbors would see each other and often chat about one thing or another, get updates on things going on. You can have some nice conversations in those places, being relaxed and all. Stopping in for a little drink and a little bite to accompany it on the walk home, was an often observed custom. if you want some good side dishes to accompany your sake or whatever, there is no place finer than Japan. Little mom and pop places, it is really great, total professionals put that stuff out. Pop in and out, walk home to dinner and maybe the family, feeling that all your world is cool, and you might be the cleanest person in the hemisphere! :lol:

I went to a steam bath in San Francisco once, a bit before those places all turned into anything goes sex houses. Some chubby guy made eyes at me, but it was still alright.

If you visit I will take you there, you will be unable to refuse. After ten minutes you will be thinking, "Now this is cool". "Butch, you have to put on your clothes now". :lol:

Went and looked at a job 1 hour from me today.... Some one was hired 5 plus years ago to trim them back .... HA
They were topped. Soooooooo he wants it done again. I told him I would go look and get back to him. Told him I would do a reduction but not a topping of the trees.
Two bradford pears and I believe two elm?... I should know it but... damn it...
Oh well... I will put a good price tag on them. Figure two days with all the crap that has to come out of them now.... Some over neighbours fences. One dilapidated gate to get all the material though... should be fun... throw all three of us at it. Part of me does not want... I hate trying to fix other peoples neglected idiocy.

Unless you're going to restoration prune and not actually reduce. Any significant reduction above an old brutal topping is just starting to compound the problems IMO.

Topping is rampant here. I deal with people looking for it and trees suffering from it nearly constantly it seems.

Very rampant where this tree is located, more towards the city. I generally do not have to deal with that much of it. But as more folks move up from the city to retire up here, I am hearing more requests for it and a mind set towards it.
I will do it on mistletoe jobs if there is no other option to remove the mistletoe and the HO wants to save the tree instead of removing it.

Topping is an option in very limited circumstances IMO. I rally against it here. I have zero issue letting people know that if we're talking about what gets cut where. I'm the expert involved unless they can show me otherwise.

Ditto... I discourage and try to educate...
By the end of the lesson.. I usually hear... "well your the expert and we hired you for that reason......."
It's the smaller percentage that get under my skin from time to time. I dropped a client recent that kept asking me to top their trees. If they did not absorb my educating them... some other company can take the responsibility and reputation of butcher.

Back