How'd it go today?

I spent the day racing around on the ATV clearing blowdown off of riding trails in the woods.
In cold solid pouring down rain.

That is when you have to remind yourself that most Danes would pay money for the priviledge of racing around in the woods on an ATV.:lol:

Had to get it done before they have a major horse arrangement at the castle and monday we start cutting a blown down area of timber off from the rootballs, so the harvester can get to it.
Now that is dangerous work and no mistakes are allowed.
Biggish timber under pressure and all layered up across each other and a harvester breathing down your neck.
Richard went to pick up some hi-vis jackets for us, because if that harvester svings a log around and doesn't see the faller, that is all she wrote..........!

So for the next while, the forum short bar proponent will be running a 30" on his 441. One needs all the distance to the danger zone, one can get.
I just hope Fiona can forgive me:lol:

Sounds fun Stig. The sign of a real pro, using the tool most suited for the job at hand.

I'm wishing the rain would stop here. Early November rain is bloody cold seeming here. I'll be parked in my shop today.

I've been itching to get out in Navarro to do some more documenting. Hiking in the woods is about the only exercise I get anymore. I don't do supplemental, but probably should get it into my routine at my age.

You know what can be alot of fun, Gerr? Mixing exercise into your hike. Like stopping to do pushups, or pull-ups on a low limb, or sit-ups, or carry a dumbbell to do all sorts of curls and presses, or body weight squats. You get a nice hike in and you get a gym session, all at the same time. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

You know what can be alot of fun, Gerr? Mixing exercise into your hike. Like stopping to do pushups, or pull-ups on a low limb, or sit-ups, or carry a dumbbell to do all sorts of curls and presses, or body weight squats. You get a nice hike in and you get a gym session, all at the same time. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

I've always felt our hikes are more than the average hike. Most of our time is spent off trail, which means over, under and through the brush, climbing over and/or under huge windfalls, falling in holes and tripping over limbs, crossing creeks, not to mention watching for bears and mountain lions and park rangers that don't approve of us being off trail. It can be a good workout sometimes. I've taken to carrying a walking stick because I got tired of falling down in the brush. It has helped alot in getting those pictures of trees that are difficult to reach, because if there's a big tree that needs it's picture taken and it looks totally out of the question to get to, Jer will find a way for me to get to it! Yep, our hikes are a bit of a workout!

That sounds rugged, Terri. I'm finding it harder to get up when I fall down, especially from on my back in soft brush. That happened yesterday alone on a job, and it occurred to me that if I didn't get up, I just might have to lay there all night until someone came looking for me.

That's a scary thought, Jay. Last time I fell in the woods I fell real hard and instantly had the realization that if I broke something Jerry would have to walk the 3 miles back to the main road to get help and I would be all alone in the woods. :O

I prefer to be alone in the woods. I also prefer to be in the woods at night. BUT, not in the situations you describe where injury is involved.

I dug a driveway 48' long 13'6" wide 12" deep using Sancho, my mini. Not the fastest but she got er dun.
Yesterday

Had my first german lesson today.
I used to speak reasonably fluent German, but haven't used it for 30 years.
Since I'll be speaking it a lot from now on, I figured it would be a good thing to take a crash course in the stuff that I have forgotten.
Luckily a lady who owes me a lot of favours is working as a ½ time german teacher now.
So private lessons for free:)

My brain is reeling under the weight of : femininum, neutrum, pluralis, genetive, akkusative etc...etc...etc. right now.
Brings memories of when I had Latin in school.

I've studied it a little. My mother's father came from Dresden in 1929. Never saw his family again. I should start studying again. I've always been impressed by the people on the internet, like you Stig, that learn to write and understand English so well.

Ha, I try! The hardest words to learn in this lingo are the English ones that are used but have been bastardized with a weird accent. No mater how hard I try to say "carburetor" the way the indigenous folks do, nobody understands unless i also add, "You know the part on an engine that mixes gas with air". I still can't master it after twenty years. It took about ten years to learn their way of saying tunnel, the hole in a mountain that a car drives through. They say "tunneru", or something peculiar like that. It sucks, and i feel like a dork trying to say that. :|:

...So for the next while, the forum short bar proponent will be running a 30" on his 441. One needs all the distance to the danger zone, one can get.
I just hope Fiona can forgive me:lol:

Sure thing Stig...I've done a wee bit of that windblow stuff too... BANG Pow! comes to mind! You may have dispensation for the long bar 8)

Today we will finish tearing down a pole barn I built a few years ago. I got a great deal on some trusses, and didn't plan it out very well. I had planned to use it for a garage, but just do not like the location, etc.

I need a smaller building more anyway, and don't want a concrete floor. I'll be using these roof trusses, and the metal sheeting to build a 24 X 24 shop.

Thanks, Fi!
Being granted forgiveness helps my conscience greatly:lol:

Started a two-three day job getting hired to do crane aided Pine removals around a residence, up in the hills on a narrow road. Got recommended by a gardner friend of mine to someone he knows that does tree work. The 26 ton crane took up all of the road, but we didn't bother to get a road closure permit because there is minimal traffic up that way and an alternative road close by that ia quickly accessed. I would say that maybe two cars came partly up the road and saw our barricade and turned around. So during lunch the other guys have gone off to do some stuff and I'm sitting up by the crane eating. I see a car drive past the barricade and right up to the crane by me, I'm on the edge of the road, sitting on a log with my lunch on a crate. This guy drives right up close and starts looking to see if there is a way around the crane, even though the outriggers are all the way up to the curbs on each side of the road. Anyone with reasonable vision could see from fifty yards away at the barricade that the road is completely blocked. Instead of backing up to the barricade where he can easily do a U turn unencumbered, he decides to back into this real narrow carport directly across from where I'm sitting, the one that looks like it might fall down any minute, and the one that has our cables in it. I'm starting to think, wtf, but maybe he lives there, but it looks like a seldom used vacation home. It takes him a bunch of back and forths to get reasonably lined up in the carport, has a hard time of it and seems to be getting frustrated, and when he pulls forward the last time he runs into the crate holding my lunch, and instead of stopping, he pushes it forward a foot or so until his grill is like four inches away from me. I don't move, probably chewing, kind of in a stupor of disbelief. He finally manages to get turned around and stops his car and gets out. I'm still wondering if he lives there? I stand up because I see ugly coming. He comes up to me and starts yelling about it being illegal to block the road and asks if I'm working there. I would think that obviously I am. He goes on a bit before I cut him off by telling him that I'm not the person that he wants to talk to, the guy running the job and making arrangements about the road and stuff isn't there now, though I have to tell him three times before he goes back to his car grumbling and drives off. Kind of an old guy, and when he got out of his car he was shaking in anger or stress or something, his voice shaking as well. I figure to myself that he is either going to the cops or the city office to speak his frail mind. Sure enough, about an hour later a guy from the city office drives up and says that they received a complaint. Apparently they are obligated to check out complaints, but he really doesn't have much to say, and can see for himself that we really don't have any alternative to be doing other than what we are doing with the crane out there. He doesn't seem to care if there is a permit or not, spends the obligatory ten minutes investigating and then roles off. He doesn't want to hassle anybody. I keep my mouth shut about what happened, he probably doesn't want to know that either.

I'm wondering if the old guy is going to be coming around tomorrow to see if his complaint has made any changes, which it won't have. I really kept my cool, the thought passed through my mind after he pushed my lunch table with his car, I'm sure on purpose, to yank him out of the car and do something, but I don't think it would have been a good solution other than some momentary enjoyment. I can't believe some people, it boggles the mind. Everyone knows that the Pines are a growing problem in the area and need to be taken care of for everyone's good, about the entire one million of them. Most people here give a degree of respect for doing the demanding work and helping out a home owner, often just like themselves, and not being bothered for having been minutely inconvenienced for our behalf without complaining, but then you get some total jerk a**hole like this coming by. Not much you can do, but it surely is unkind, people being so extreme and wanting to gripe about it. Kind of too bad that you just have to suck it up and can't speak your mind too, or more.

Other than that, the day went well, a lot was accomplished.

Back