How'd it go today?

Fi,

As was suggested, boring in somewhere that you don't need for hingewood is the way to go. IME, typically bore with the saw upright, so as to sever less potentially-valuable holding wood fibers. You can have asymmetrical rot. Look at the surface and guess if you might have rot in specific places that might cause concern, like the tension side of a hard leaner, hinge areas, etc.

An electric drill with a 1/8" x 12" bit or whatever is similar in "Standard" or metric is great for when sizing up at a bid or on the job- no PPE, no chainsaw noise, no getting dirty/ sawdusty. Listen to the sound of the drill as well as feel how well it sinks. Clean the bit's flutes as needed. The bigger the bit's flutes, the better it will work. Its hard to get wood bits that long, so you might have to use a drill bit for metal. http://drillbitwarehouse.com/index....page=shop.browse&category_id=26&Itemid=600001

Good reminder Sean...Mr. Bermy has lots of long drill bits in the shed...and a nice cordless.
Haha, switch up, you guys using dishwashers and washing machines for parts cleaning, I get to nick the hubby's power tools for tree work 8)

Dropped a couple pines yesterday. A small crispy twisty Monterrey pine and a 36 DBH pondo next to a house. Hope to get the uneventful and such 4 minute kill video.
Came back through town and the hill behind the high school was on fire. Helo's dropping water... Looks like a welder up by the football field had a bad day. They have been working on the field for a couple years now with improvements. Probably welding a rail or something. Soon find out. Me "Oh crap, here we go again!".
They got it out toot sweet. Gonna be a long wait until end of fire season.. We really need some rain soon.
Finish up that pondo clean up today and then slay a small live oak for them.
Rigging down a blue oak over a house tomorrow. I feel ya Butch. Rigging is so much more fun :)

If the branch has been supported for a time, removing the support could cause it to break. The prop can be a very suitable treatment. Nick has posted some that he has done. There are some on Wolbert's website in Olympia of historic trees on the capitol campus with props and Cobra systems, for any one interested in seeing a circus tent- wolberts.com, tree and shrub care, significant preservation.

The tree will have reduced reaction wood formation before the prop, and the trunk past the prop could outgrow the supported section. I've seen this with staked trees getting bigger trunks above long overdue for removal tree staking which has kept the bottom of the trunk supported.

Was supposed to work up in the woods yesterday, a real nice area at elevation. Couldn't get there, the road was washed out due to the recent typhoon. Supposedly it is getting cleared away today to some degree. Rivers are really full. Just for the trouble of getting to where I did, the man said that I would get a half day's wages. Went home and slept to three. Woke up, went to my shop and worked until 9. Work gets ya one way or another.

The brake parts and hub puller finally came for the Jeep so hopefully that will get finished .Split and stacked about half a cord of firewood .Short day at work,only ten hours .

Did you get a pic of where the support connects to the tree?

love
nick

No, but I will get one tomorrow. It is an iron support with a curved top plate that the tree is beginning to growing around on one side. It has about 8" diameter iron post with concrete I guess to support it. Also has cabling installed holding a potentially weak union. I will get pics and start a thread.

Dropped a couple pines yesterday. A small crispy twisty Monterrey pine and a 36 DBH pondo next to a house. Hope to get the uneventful and such 4 minute kill video.
Came back through town and the hill behind the high school was on fire. Helo's dropping water... Looks like a welder up by the football field had a bad day. They have been working on the field for a couple years now with improvements. Probably welding a rail or something. Soon find out. Me "Oh crap, here we go again!".
They got it out toot sweet. Gonna be a long wait until end of fire season.. We really need some rain soon.
Finish up that pondo clean up today and then slay a small live oak for them.
Rigging down a blue oak over a house tomorrow. I feel ya Butch. Rigging is so much more fun :)

Looked like some big clouds out there today, no rain so far though. Super dry, but the weather made a change today. Has the smoke been crazy for you guys down there? Hope the video turns out.

It's been smokey around here on and off for a while. Seems to have cleared out now. California on fire, cough, cough.

Good day today, started the harder stuff on a two day job, made some good progress. Got a little vid. I cut out of there by lunch time and was onto other stuff.

I've been going steady as usual. A nice variety today. Three cottonwoods removed then pruned a willow, elm, and box-elder The wood from the cottonweed stayed where it laid and all chips were dumped at the neighbors. Gotta love it.

Still packing my Cool Vest every day, heat indexes hitting triple digits...

I'll be glad when I have to break out my jacket!!!

Still waiting on the road work to repair the typhoon tormented road to get back up in the woods. I saw two washouts in the morning after, way below where the job is, no telling what they found up higher. Hate waiting on phone calls. In the mean time, a guy I know that runs a buckwheat noodle restaurant called me to go lower some stumps in his gravel parking lot. Apparently a customer backed over one in a low slung vehicle and did some damage, later called him to get refunded, which for his own reasons the owner declined to give. Took me about thirty minutes to do it, sparks and smoke and grunting at the end, but the chain was close to needing replacement anyway. I wasn't going to take any money, because the last time I took some people in there to eat, he didn't charge me. I've done a fair amount of removals around his place as well, other odd woodwork jobs, but the stumps were someone else's left overs from a couple years ago. Not much of a parking area, just some slots cut out along the side of the road in the woods. He gave me a cool drink, a piece of cake, and forced a hundred bucks on me. I learned one thing, you can actually do some elements of tree work wearing shorts and chaps, I didn't bother to go home to change after he called me. Timing was right, I just ran over there.

Called soba, made from a wheat like flour. Served hot or at room temp. Hot comes in a broth, and room temp you dip into a sauce before slurping it up. Tasty and nutritious, especially the hot during winter. Zillions of soba restaurants in my area for some reason, I guess because the wheat grows good here. Often served with breaded and deep fried vegetables and shrimp. Fills me up fast for some reason. The locals can really pack it in, probably different stomachs. I could use a steak.

Attachments

• 4129317039_c79d4c21b4-1.jpg
    4129317039_c79d4c21b4-1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 45
  • soba.jpg
    soba.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 45
Yeah, there isn't much that I won't eat, except that they have a hankering for a few foods that are bitter. I can't think of any US food that is much bitter tasting. I don't think I will ever acquire a taste for it. This vegee is called Goya. Looks like a cucumber got too much radiation. Super bitter, I won't touch it.

Attachments

• bitter-gourd-benefits2.jpg
    bitter-gourd-benefits2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 79
Man, I saw the coolest thing today. In a parking lot, I saw a pick up where the roof brake light flashed. It really stood out! I asked the guy what shop did that and he said he did it himself and it was a PITA and kinda expensive: $80 for the LED and $55 for the flasher. I think it should be standard issue on all vehicles... I want one!

Back