How'd it go today?

Today we did a job pruning an oak and cleaning up some giant birds of paradise. I bid the job based off pics and google maps. It's the way of the future! This is the third job we've done this way and it's worked like a charm every time!

Today's was $1,000 and we did it after doing a small $350 morning job.

love
nick

Nick, nice concept. I can't see it working in a lot of situations, and I can see it working in a lot of situations. Pruning easier than removal bidding, maybe.

I just looked at the two pecans I TD'ed yesterday and there was no real way I could make a bid from the view.

Ive been sending out bids-by-pics for a couple months now. Here's my rules:

If I don't like the pics, I ask for more
Even if I think I get a good idea of what's going on, I bid 50% higher than my hunch AND tell them it's a range to give me cushion for mistake. For example, if the pics tell me that it looks like a $500 job, I tell them $750-$950.

I know that we will get bit eventually, but the idea is that the few times it works well will make up for it.

So far so good

love
nick

You ask the client to take pics and send them to you?

That wouldn't work around here; they'd just call someone else who'd come out.

Wait till you need a radiator... Yikes
I already have another one .Another hood ,grill ,tranny ,transfer case,real axle .Everything to built another engine except a block and crankshaft.Actually there's probabley another block some place .My dad never threw a thing away.

What happen is the old man had a '48 CJ2 he sold to some guy in Texas for about twice what it would bring here .About a month later he bought this CJ5 with a blown engine and a CJ3 with a bad body .Scrapped out the rust bucket and got this one going for about 1/3 of what he sold the old '48 .

You ask the client to take pics and send them to you?

That wouldn't work around here; they'd just call someone else who'd come out.

I can imagine for some people, with the ability to shoot and send from a smartphone, its less work and time commitment (blocking out a part of a day to be at home, in addition to the time onsite with the contractor).

They can pretty easily shop the competition in a similar way, just forward the email to as many companies as desired.

I can see it getting to a point that unless communications are via the internet, folks won't be comfortable with it. Too bothersome otherwise. Meeting someone face to face will require too much effort, besides, too busy doing other internet activities.

Two saws stolen today, fuuck! My 372 xpw and brand new 346xp. The 2, 200t's sitting there were left alone... That's how you know it was some crackhead piece of shit.

Had them sitting in my backyard. Scumfuck must have went through the gate while we were home. Ballsy snatch and run... Shit happens, going to try hunt down a 440 full wrap to get back at it after vacation.

Damn Ian, sorry to hear that, nothing worse than a thief on crack.

I've always dreamed of catching someone in the act. :shoot:

At least your on vacation! :drink:

Thanks Bix...
Yeah, that would be a rude trip back to reality for them!
Nothing 2 1/2 weeks in hawaii visiting family won't fix 8)

frig, Ian, that Sucks. But they are just material things. Nothing like an injury. Just try to keep on keeping on, file the Police report, check the pawn shops. Makes me want to go record serial numbers.

bummer for sure, but you're right, it is just some money in the scheme of things... Will buy some new saws after we get back and then get my hustle on! Did the police report, only have one serial number though. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have them on file or pictures, as that certainly can help locate and id if someone tries to pawn them. Will be taking pics of my 200t's this morning.

Terrible about the thefts, such a violation and misguided people. Catching them in the act, it can be a little surprising what your actual reaction might be. Someone can appear to be so damn pitiful that it makes you sick to your stomach, rather than so angry. They are already is some deep dark hole of their own making, beating then up can seem rather pointless. When it comes to an actual encounter, a bit puzzling to stand directly in front of such frailty and worthlessness

Ian, I'm going to take a picture of me with different gear, and a video, showing some amount of possession, and take pic/ video of the serial numbers. They are easy to store on a photosharing website or in an email for easy reference. I have only one saw, now in the 'dead' pile that I bought from a dealer, who could pull up the serial number, presumably. All the others, I figure they say possession is 9/10 of the law. If you knew who stole your stuff, as many employers do when a pissed-off employee/ former employee, it would not be a case of my word against yours.
My friend just had his truck stolen while moving, so had the important paperwork go way, never to be seen again.

Looks like a great place to unwind.....

One of those fix it honey dayz for me.
Fix the post hole auger...
Fix the microwave..
Change the mini oil..
Still need to change the van and f350 oil and filters.
Already dropped the Datsun carb off for a rebuild...
Then it can have it's oil changed. Need to check the tranny and pumkin on that one too. Kinda like the Jeep, it keeps marking its territory here and there.

Back