How'd it go today?

P1020986.JPG P1020983.JPG P1020982.JPG

Spent the day working at home.
Trimmed the hedges, crown raised my horse chestnut and ran a weed whacker under all the trees in the orchard so we'll be able to pick the cherries in a few weeks.

Took 8 hours, but the place looks nice now.

We have a saying here: " The shoemaker's children and the blacksmith's horse always have the worst shoes" for some reason I always procrastinate doing the stuff at home.

While cutting the weeds I decapitated a pheasant that stayed on the nest too long. Never had that happen before, but it didn't go to waste, Sam ate both the eggs and the bird:D

Went down to the valley and hit Home Depot in Turlock for sand. Getting ready to set up a pool for the kids. Mini has been digging and moving dirt. Setting telephone poles as boarders to hold in the sand and such for levelling. I bought the #1000 bags of sand... Pulled three home, two in the truck and one in the small trailer. The dingo shined unloading each one. Definitely the limit of the machine for tipping. Had to really take it slow and easy, but it went as predicted. :)
Maybe get some pics tomorrow.

I imagine there ARE some characters in Vegas!!!

I got to fly a bucket clearing some big limbs over a house. Fun!

Pruned 4 big pin oaks. Tried using a distel hitch...... It was smooth and tended really well, but entirely different from what Im used to feeling in my hands. Took me a few minutes to get the length correct, and once I did, it was really nice to use a closed hitch like that.

They weren't monsters Butch. It was a whole lot of dead wooding more than anything. You have pin oaks down there? They grow pyramidal. Easy as heck to work. Prune your way up on side, and prune your way back down the other. They don't sprawl out wide. But they are DENSE with deadwood and suckers.

Man, I hate working a pin oak that's never been pruned, they are so friggen DENSE with suckers and deadwood, you literally have to almost cut a path up the tree and fight your way down the other side. Not bad trees to work though once they've been cleaned out good once or twice. We have two in our front yard and I've always kept them deadwooded and cleaned up, look awesome compared to a lot of the pin oaks around town.

Virgin pin oaks are hell. You ever feed pin oak through a chuck and duck? I don't miss those days. You bleed.

CnD. Don't miss mine one bit. I wasn't beat as a child so I had a real hard time with it. Although at the time it was a big step up from jamming brush and cutting it down and jamming some more.

It was hot today. I had to grind four stumps. Only three of which I'd made. Goes against my grain to grind others stumps.

We also pruned some cottonweeds so they weren't threatening a water reservoir. Boom work and rigging. Easy.

Hows that 38 special workong, justin. Still keep pondering about getting one myself. You can pm me if youd like.

I was a hired gun for harlan today. Four big assed pines, triple and double stemmed. As usual, two days work in one. Got tired in the end and took the biggest top i ever did onto rope. Prob npt abnormal, but a rush. I think two tops filled the chip truck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 39
I blew a monster top out of a pine recently and didn't get through it quick enough with the saw. Got my world rocked. Hard. Real hard. My gaffs came right out of the tree and I got rag dolled. Top of the pine 90'd out and up, and I cut it at the 90, so I could dump the top without a rope to get it moving. I got moving alright, and the rest of the tree, and me. I saw it coming too but was riding high that day and figured I could cut through it fast enough with a big saw. WRONG.

First post, thought I would join up since Bixler said you are a good bunch of folks....... and you guys need a Good lookin Cali boy on here as well lol...ok, nuff about me, heres some work pics of a big back yard Euc trim, no bucket truck access

Back