How'd it go today?

Awesome, Butch. I've leave it at a high 5 to you, and other vets. I definitely wasn't cut out for the military, but I know its important that others make that choice.

Had a chiropractor appointment for a little body work. Things are just a bit tight. Felt good. Met the guys at the jobsite for a dying fir removal, speedlining off an adjacent fir about three feet away. Should work out well, set the speedline and BMS Belay spool remotely via throwline. Will have a high TIP/ redirect for the speedline for the whole job, and using a base-tie floating anchor system, will be able to pull it out from the ground without having to climb 80' to retrieve.

I came home to have skillfood, coffee, and change into work clothes. Want Erik to build on his skills, and start approaching some basic climbing removal work. Up til now he's okay with small/ medium felling, and spurless pruning. He's done spike and flipline work before, which has him a bit wigged out about spikes, as he associated them with the potential for a bark-highway slide down the limbless bole. We use SRT choked climblines for most removals, either at waist height or overhead, so the bark slide is not a reality. He's also ready for an immediate emergency descent. Wish he's get some spurs on. He ascended to a low choked TIP this morning then fought his way around to get on top of the first branches (TIP) with a flipline one whorl upward. Spurs would have simplified everything, and given him better work positioning all around. I know that everyone doesn't climb the same. Efficiency and productivity are hard to beat with spurs on removals, tho. A clean bole to 20 feet would be one minute of climbing, and ready to work, rather than 10 minutes to gather, install rope walker, ascend, detach, store gear, put RW away in truck, then get situated to start limbing.

When I get back to the jobsite, he's going to have a high choked TIP, and a clean bole, hopefully to 30'. I think I'll try to get him on a little top-self-belayed spurring training climb. Funny how so many people go the other way, won't go to spurless climbing from starting on spurs. Erik started on spurs, then spurless, and doesn't want to go back to spurs. Being able to do both would increase his efficiency and productivity. Even if he doesn't want to top and block down wood, he could strip trees, then let me do the bigger rigging work.

A few weeks back, a lady ahead of me in the drive through paid for my order. I should probably buy a lotto ticket!

With my luck, they would ask if I was a vet and then hand be the pet skunk to denature!!!!! Good to see you recognized.

Sometimes "buy local " can work out .I have a problem with my well on the geothermal sanding up with fine grit because it doesn't get used much in winter time because of the wood stove .It creates problems .

One solution is a sand seperator filter which spins the grit out before the submersable pump gets it .Lakos sub k model 16-5 .It sells on the net for between 633 and 1100 bucks:O

Ha local water equipment company 375 and tax .How 'bout them apples .:D

Oops, when you said 'vet' my first thought was 'veterinarian', and I was perplexed...then I remembered...Veteran, and it all made sense again.
8)

I met another truck on a narrow road, so both of us lost our left side mirrors.
Since I can't get a new one till monday and had to do a lot of backing up while owing the chipper, I came up with a redneck solution.
P1020897.JPG

...and four way adjustable with a zoom feature...looks like a makeup mirror from the powder room...
Did the missus know you nicked it?

Just finished my 5 mile walk through the neighborhood - it surprises me how I never see people out and about, no kids playing, nothing. Everybody's inside, always.

Yeah that is weird. Do you vary your route? 5 miles a day is a pretty good workout imo.

I've up'd the intensity with leg weights: it was getting too easy. I didn't want to increase the mileage, so I increased the drag. I started with 2.5 lb each weight, and have since increased it to 3. My goal is 5, then eventually 10, but I'm not rushing things.

Once you get used to walking, you gotta add weight or walk more to affect change. It already takes me around eighty minutes to do my 5, and that's ALL the time I wanna spend doing that.

Hence, the weights. :drink:

I don't vary my route... I tried many and this is the best of the best routes.

I've tried that, 10 lbs in a Camelbak frame... it puts a hot spot on my back and eventually hurts my shoulders. The ankle weights eliminate that plus are more effective, weight-wise.

Back