How'd it go today?

I wouldn't recommend a vt, but a distel or schwabish would be excellent imo, very trustworthy, better than a tautline but not that much of a departure either. mytreelessons.com for pictures

Stephen, that's a pretty big doghouse... you sure you built that for the dog to stay in? :lol:

I agree on the blakes. A VT is not always a forgiving hitch. I run a 4/3 VT a lot now but the cordage is broken in and ends up really tight with my 30" cord. With new stiff/waxy cordage I run an XT for extra security.

Here's a pic of an XT by moss. The difference from a VT is that the top wraps are held in place well by the first braid, which crosses over itself. Very easy to tie and very secure.

2398650661_4af62e11f9_b.jpg

What is the cause of problems with the vt? It drops a wrap and maybe doesn't grab reliably? Mine has been working well after the cord loosened up.

With some rope/hitch cord combos the VT doesn't set as well. For me, new OP is stiff and when I advance a VT on it everything opens up and doesn't always grab reliably. After it's broken in and becomes more supple it's not a problem. What hitch cord and rope combo are you using Jay?

Adam, currently Hi Vee with HRC, but wanting to get some Vortex after I can bother myself to order it. Wonder why they have to call that hitch an xt, it's how I used to tie my vt plus one braid, didn't know it went by another name. I ended up liking the vt with the first braid over not under as shown in the photo that you posted. I guess technically the way it is supposed to be tied.

If you are going to start using an eye and eye a 3/1 schwabish, IMO, is the best knot to start with. Get an unspliced 40" 10mm Beeline or Ocean Pacific cord and tie fishermans knots. If tied long enough the 'style' of using a blakes/tautline can be achieved, and then it can be shortened to go to a traditional, modern e2e setup. The same cord can be used to work from a schwabish to one of the more advanced tresses. Once you have the hitch & length dialed in, cut the cord or order one to length with sewn or spliced eyes.

Jay HRC is nice and supple. I'm not surprised that it bites every time. I wish it came in 10mm.

Here's a pic of the difference between the VT and XT.

vt-qt.png

Looks like the buntline is like a clove tied around itself. I personally use a dbl fishermans for hitch cords with no eyes, but can't see an advantage over a buntline. 6 one way half dozen the other.

265px-Double_Fisherman's_knot.svg.png
buntline_hitch.gif

I went to get my F450 dump truck on Thursday. It's a great truck. The contractor dump box was only used as a dump bed, so the drop-side latches and levers were neglected and rusted tight. With a little hard work, a big hammer, some heat and penetrating oil, I managed to get it all freed up and working. Both sides now drop down and swing on their hinges. I also managed to get the spreader gate controls and locking arms to move properly. The dump box can now be loaded from either side, as well as from the rear.

Other than a few blood blisters, some foul language, and a pair of jeans that are covered in grease and blood, all went well. LOL

Joel

As Adam says, not the same. The single fisherman's is also called a scaffold knot, and perhaps more properly so.

I thought half a double fisherman's knot is a scaffold knot. its my preferred knot to biner on light rigging and climbing lines... or half a triple fisherman's. I didn't know people used half a single fisherman's.

No one said they did, Sean. Just as you say, half a double fisherman's equals a scaffold. A triple fishermans simply refers to an additional turn in the wrap of any fishermans, which only confuses the issue....as knot names and terminology usually does :).

Scaffold Knot (ABOK 1120) = Tripple Overhand Noose Knot (TONK)
Half (or Single) 'fishermans' tied into a loop is also called a "scaffold knot" which is a Double Overhand Noose Knot which I like to call a ... DONK :D

Meh ... but what's in a name ... and WAY off a serious topic for Chris.

Blake's is the easiest transition from your old hitch, for sure...and is stable, ime.

I most certainly agree with B's post (as usual). Blake's is the next logical step for Chris.

... then onto the Distel ... Rope Wrench ... Michoacan ... BUT, PLENTY OF TIME FOR ALL THAT. ;)

FWIW ... never liked the VT ... too much sit back and WAY too finicky ... needing constant attention, IMO :)

I misspoke, I meant scaffold knot, I am painfully aware of the confusion regarding the fishermans/scaffold/doublefishermans. Sorry. I have been rock climbing a bit as of late and they call it a double fishermans.

John and I are in Spanish Wells (Bahamas), had a great day! Spent some time on a raft, had dinner with friends and looking forward to tomorrow.

Back