How'd it go today?

Just got my first set of chain saw pants. I really like them after the first day of use. Can't be any hotter than chaps in summer.

Our CDL is same as OK. Had to get Class A and Airbrakes for pulling chipper and driving big bucket. Need someone else in the department to get the license so I can take a break. You'd think after I took a vacation or two and they had to load all the brush, they would have have got tired of that.

Husquavarna, those Phanner things, what kind?

My Dad cut his coveralls up pretty good working alone in the woods. He was a pretty good woodsman but too much of a risk taker. I never really heard the story from him. I think he was not anxious to tell the story.

Growing up on a farm I was exposed to all kinds of dangerous equipment at a young age. The 2 things he held me back from were a chain saw and a circular saw.

One cup of joe down. Early start to the day. Have to catch a ferry to get to an island park, so a 6am shove-off from the shop, so a 430 am start to the day. Yay!:roll:

D had a hard sleeping night. I got to have a 12 midnight banana-snack. Sick kiddo. Seems she saved up some of her forecasted 10 times of 10 days sick.

A little TreeHouse check-in while the brain warms up.

I prefer saw pants, too. Though they suck ballz when it gets hot...but pretty much anything you do during the heat of the day sucks unless you are napping in the shade, swimming in a lake or chillin on a patio with a cold drink! I usually take a pair of shorts with me in the heat and change pretty much the second I am done working. I also pack a towel and sandals in the truck during the summer...too many lakes too little time! I don't think any other boss would approve, but mine is pretty mellow.

O , "how'd it go today?" . Started the day with 3 scheduled water oak removals. Got a call about a sweet gum at the largest local park that snapped in a wind storm yesterday and has bees swarming all over it. Finished the original job at 6pm, finished the other at 8:30pm. 14 hour days and it's only April. It's going to be a busy year.

We had to dust off the Hobbs and bring out the 7/8" line and big blocks today.
Got a call yesterday from another local arborist who had gotten stuck blocking down a huge willow over a roof.
After he lost a piece through the roof, he lost heart, too.
Fun job, actually, when you have the gear to handle it.
Lots of negative blocking of big wood.
I don't get to climb on that kind of job very often, so I enjoyed it.

sick on mon and tues. today we worked on a nice copper beech. dont see many of those around here. there are three big ones in the neighborhood, and weve done two of them. im hoping we get the third as well.

Got home a day early from the San Juan Islands. Ferry engine was running rough. Another ferry on the route was going down for repairs as we were headed to the mainland. Yikes. Knocked down more root diseased trees at another park with a bonus split cedar that I happened to see where a fallen fir had wedged itself between the trunks at head level. Put the baby to bed tonight...a surprise bonus. Better than in a hotel room on the road.

Congrats man! You'll love it!

Good week so far, we've worked a good 7 days in a row now, which has been feeling pretty awesome! Just finished up an apartment complex job, now getting ready to work on more mulching and yard maintenance at a few places.

I finished welding up a square tube metal light bar grid work for my daughter in law .12 by 6 feet 11/2" tube .Thin wall ,bitch to weld .

She's some kind of an artist type who evidently is in charge of an art guild thing in the little town they live in .I know nothing about it but I can fabricate metal .

It really isn't a big deal .I can't explain to anybody else exactly how this area of the country is unless they lived here .

We were exposed to this stuff ,mechanics ,building ,perhaps forestry stuff at a young age because everybody just did about everything .When I say in the middle of a giant cornfield I'm not kidding .

Sadly though in some 50 odd years it's not like that any more ,things have changed .It's not the same big corn field it used to be .:(

Back